Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Greg!!! worked great on my 1999 F250 light duty. As mentioned by others, I had also drove around for a couple of years watching it flicker. Great Post, awesome instruction!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Greg Upton
I have recently joined this forum although I have enjoyed reading the messages here for several months. Thanks to those that have contributed to these boards you have helped me find a repair a couple of problems I have had with my truck. Now I would like to reciprocate.

I have had the intermittent vanishing LED odometer for a pretty long time now. It has progressively gotten worse, even more so during the summer months. Reading through these message boards it is apparent others have had the same problem with the only known fix is to have Ford replace the instrument cluster. For me the problem was not bad enough to cough up the price for the repair. Finally I had a day off and decided to look for the problem myself and see if I could fix it. I think I found the problem in my truck, the odometer has been working for a week now without fail, and I wanted to share with you how I did it.

2000 F150 Supercab Lariat 4X4 117,000 miles

1) Disconnect the negative battery connection.
2) Remove the headlamp switch. I covered the head of a thin flat head screwdriver with electrical tape and pried the bottom out then removed and disconnected the electrical connections.
3) Remove the steering column opening cover. This is the plastic cover right over the steering column, it is held in by 4 clips. I grabbed under the bottom with my finger nails and it pulled out pretty easily.
4) Remove the instrument panel finish panel. This is the plastic panel around the instrument cluster. It has several bolts and clips holding it in. Don't forget the bolt that is behind where the headlamp switch was.
5) Remove the instrument panel. (Hint: Place a towel or other soft cloth over the steering column before you try and pull it out. I put a few superficial scratches on my column.) After removing the screws, if you have an automatic transmision you need to disconnect the transmission range indicator from the bottom of it. There are two plastic tabs holding it in place. Its a little tricky getting them both loose at the same time. Then disconnect the two electrical connectors from the back and remove it. Below is a picture of the back of the instrument cluster after removal.

Remove the screws and take off the plastic cover. Here is a look at the circuit board behind the plastic cover.

The ribbon cable runs from the main circuit board to a smaller circuit board that the LED odometer resides on. Remove the ribbon cable and gently pry out the board. Here is a close up of the ribbon cable connection.

I have too many images to post the entire message. I will try to do it parts......
I have a 2002 F150 with the same problem. I looked up some ideas of what the problem might be and ran across this page. I did read in 1 area about the Passive alarm system that might be affected when taking the dash out. was there any problems with this repair after it was completed?

thanks in advance for a reply
no1fordman

Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Worked like a champ! Took me an hour and 15 minutes start to finish. Thank you for posting this process.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
This is a great site I just did this repair on my 2000 Harley worked like a charm , I must admit I took my to a computer repair shop to do the soldering. Now the only problem is my trip reset button is not working I think I may have dropped a spring or something so I did not replace all screws until i check in the morning. But both electrical problems fixed , I fixed my overhead console temp. and compass yesterday with help from the site!!! Thanks for a great post I don't know if you still on here or not Greg, you haven't post since 2010 if you are tho thanks again!! BTW hardest part was putting that damn shift indicator back in!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Ok i got impatient went out with flashlight found little rubber tio put it on now everything is perfect. Even chimes when I don't have seat belt on!!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM
1999 F250 (ld) Original Owner Thanks You

Gregg,

It's funny, dashboard cap that goes over the instrument panel, cracked down the middle. Total plastic failure, my fault actually. So while I was removing that I came across your fix for the intermittent odometer. This was the bane of my existence. Using my uber sized led magnifying light I not only found the one you pointed out but several. Thanks again and my odometer thanks you. By the way I bought this truck brand new in 1999 and it started a year after I owned it.

Respectfully
Michael J. Buckley

Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Hey, New too the forum i have an 04 heritage edition and this has been going on for about a year now finally found the fix to it on here thankfully. I went through and did the step by step process and re-installed and it still dosent work. Anyone have any input on what could be gone wrong here? Thanks NL04heritage

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. I just bought my truck and fixed the odometer thus afternoon.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Did mine today. Mine would work intermittently. Tapping on the gauge cluster seemed to work. Now, I'm hoping my first time soldering, is fixed for good.
Thanks

Done - and fixed! Great tip.

Last edited by robert53; 08-12-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Chalk me up to another successful odometer repair. Thank you to Greg and all the other contributors to this thread.

I have an '01 SC with 112K. Its been intermittent for almost two years. I bookmarked this thread back then but never got around to doing it. It has gradually been getting worse. My motivation was an upcoming emissions inspection coupled with a bad
O2 sensor. I replaced the O2 sensor and then tackled the odometer.

Did it it less than hour, directions, pictures and tips in this thread were excellent.
My '01 has the 3 clip system to hold the whole light switch assembly. Very easy, the whole module pops right out. I had the most common cracked solder joint, the outside pin that stands out by itself.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post this thread.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Finally got around to doing this this weekend, thanks for the write-up.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I just used this thread to fix my 01' intermittent odometer disappearing issue. Thanks for the great pictures and explanation.

Jesse

Old 04-19-2014, 04:07 PM
help

I have taken my instrument cluster out twice and soldered the cracked joints but my odometer still fades to dark sometimes. Do I need to go back in again and look at every solder on the board?

Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks to all who took the time to find this problem & posting ! just purchased 1999 f150 with no radio display and an od. that only works when it want to !!!! Great job

Old 12-22-2014, 05:00 AM
transmission issues

good day friends i had an issue with my F150 sometime last year and was told it was brainbox tried getting a matching one which started the truck but now the transmission, AC,Wiper,radio,most of the function inside the truck doesnt respond pls what could be responsible

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair