Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LARABOY
hey guys
quick question i wanna change my speedometer to a white face with a blue light up.

has anyone done this kind of job to thier truck if so can you help me out???

thank!!
Not too difficult of a job... Remove gauge bezel, VERY IMPORTANT!!! with truck warmed up and at idle take pic of where all the needles are, pop off the needles, remove old gauge faces...its just a sticker, apply new face panel, start truck and place needles back to where they were in the pic. I had to use my GPS/NAV to get my speedo right again. If you have any other questions, send me a pm or email.

As far as the original topic...GREAT POST. I fixed mine over the weekend and now I know when to change my oil!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Very detailed instructions, much appreciated. I'm going to be attempting this one very soon.

I took my truck in to a Ford dealer for a check up/oil change, and when the gentleman at service had a look at the VIN/Odometer, he mentioned that it wasn't showing. I told him what it was reading when I drove in. He said he would have that looked at too, in the inspection. I got the quote back from him and there was nothing mentioned on it about having the odometer/instrument cluster replaced...That's a typical dealer service department for ya...

Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Finally had the chance to do this myself - mine had been blinking on and off for quite some time. Worked like a charm, and I was done in under two hours. Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Did the odometer repair two weekends ago on my 99 F-150. Works great! Took about an hour and 10 minutes. I have been dealing with this problem for 5 or 6 years now. This past summer it got a lot worse! I had to resolder one other pin besides the pin in question. The odometer displaying just like new!

Thanks,
David

Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 AM
This post is GOLD MINE! I've had the intermittent odometer LED for a few years now and no one could help. Seems to be a pretty simple job, even for me, but we'll see what happens and i will report back. i am confident this will resolve the problem b/c of all the feedback and others who have the same problem.

KruseDisc mentioned something about his oil gauge above... and i wonder if this fix might also work on my oil gauge problem. In cooler weather the needle drops. Usually It will re-engage back to normal when I stomp on the gas. I was first told I need a more viscous oil. that didn't help so I am thinking electrical. does this sound familiar and do you think the odometer LED fix will work for the issue? (i understand it will be a different solder on the circuit board)

thanks!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:15 AM
oh. i just now got KruseDisc's comment on knowing when to change the oil. DUH

anyway... i still think it's an electrical issue and perhaps the same root cause as the odometer issue? Thoughts?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Well Greg, Thanks. I just did this repair for my wifes 1999 Expedition .... the problem has been going on for over a year. Only took a bit over an hour
I got new tires for my F250 with this savings .... the Dealer wanted over $800 to replace the instrument console.

THANKS!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Nice simple instructions... I have this problem aswell... I'll give it a shot in warmer weather... already printed and on my to do list! Thanks for taking the time to put together detailed instructions. I saw a book for sale online on how to repair this and they want 25 bucks for it.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
my mechanic told me to ignore it, its too expensive to repair, this is a great fix. 10 cents later i have a working odometer.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks so much!

Thanks for all the research and comprehensive repair description. This problem first appeared on my '99 F-150 while it was still under warranty, but the odometer would flash off and come back on so quickly, I thought I was imagining it. Of course by the time the problem became apparent, the warranty period was over.

I was convinced it was a faulty molex connector that someone at Claycomo failed to assemble correctly. I had a transmission control cable get against the EGR pickup tube and burn a few wires in two (intermittently causing the vehicle to go in and out of Overdrive. When the mechanic found it, he determined the wiring harness had never been properly secured during vehicle assembly--the snap-in wire tie had never been moved to the correct location to secure the wiring bundle.

Even though the vehicle was out of warranty, I wrote a thorough description of the problem and the solution (and a copy of the repair invoice) and submitted it to the Ford factory rep thru my dealer (along with a reminder that at Ford, Quality is Job One). I managed to get reimbursed for most of the repair.

Plan on tearing into this real soon as I work in electronics sales and have a full staff of competent techs to re-solder the solder joints as indicated in your pics.

Once again, many thanks!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Hoooaaah

Well, my 01 F150's started the on-again, off-again odometer about 6 months ago - I've been afraid to take into a dealer to find out how much it'll cost - however, thanks to this forum, I now have a project! Will wait until warmer weather though... my hat's off to everyone

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks!!

This is second rescue from this website, so I decided to join.

Thanks for the information. This site is the greatest.

The last issue I had was the old engine light giving the lean mixture error.

The old hole in the elbow going to the intake from the pcv valve hose problem.

You Rock Dude!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 PM
OK I had a cluster that would flash quickly and the
truck wouldn't start. Not just the PAT light but the ones near it as well.
When I would push in the OD reset button the truck would start ok,
but then driving awhile it would do the flicker thing than the cluster would go into reset mode.
I took it apat thanks to this post and resoldered eveything I could and also
pressed the contacts for the gauges together \.
Bam no more problems, 2 weeks now with varying temps.
I assume I must have had a bad ground for a gauge. Anyway thanks for the
great writeup. It's a 04 heritage 4.2L.
By the way the headlight swich is held in with clips. One at 6 oclock, one at
3 and one at 10?.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
1 Hour flat! Perfect fix! Thanks!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Just fixed odometer 2 days ago and it's still working great. The headlight switch info is the best. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair