Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Auxiliary backup lights installed (How to/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey blackjack I like that new switch you put in next to the cig lighter... was it difficult to put it there and how did you go about getting there? I have a stx reg cab and do not have the drink holder so hopefully you didnt go in that way... and how did you get the wire back behind there?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Skyliftstx05
hey blackjack I like that new switch you put in next to the cig lighter... was it difficult to put it there and how did you go about getting there? I have a stx reg cab and do not have the drink holder so hopefully you didnt go in that way... and how did you get the wire back behind there?

You just need to pull the whole dash bezel off, grab it from the bottom and work your way up.

Here is a pic with it off
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  75.9 KB

Then I think it was a 3/4" bit that I used to drill it out, of course that is after I marked the center of it out.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Does that just snap out like the rest of the surrounding? kinda looks like it pivited out but im guessing its just hanging by the wires there?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Skyliftstx05
Does that just snap out like the rest of the surrounding? kinda looks like it pivited out but im guessing its just hanging by the wires there?
Yes it just pulls out,there are 4 clips per side...you can see them if you look at the trim piece...some times they all come out with the trim piece and some times they stay in the dash slots. If they stay in dash slots I take a needle nose to get them out and clip them back to the trim piece...it just makes it easier when reinstalling to line everything up with they on the trim piece...O and yes it just hanging there by the wires and resting on the cup holders. Also dont forget to un-clip and re-clip the airbag light above the radio too.

Last edited by blackjack8900; 01-20-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 AM
So wanting to put this switch in my truck to turn off and on my lights that im going to install http://www.crazypc.com/products/vand...ch-82390B.html (diagram at the bottom of the page) guy said its possible but not sure how to go about doing it... im guessing that I should run my wire off my poss side of the battery onto the poss terminal and then run my 2 lights off of like 1 and 3 or 2 and 4? thanks again

Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 PM

great write up!
these lights will be perfect with my tinted tails ( the reverse light don't do a thing anymore)

Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 AM

I decided to tackle this project myself. I'm on an OBS SuperCrew though. I did it the "simple" way I guess. Mounted them and wired them to an independent switch so I control their use at all times. Didn't want them automatically coming on every time I back up.

Followed the suggestions though. Bought a set of "Burners" Fog lights from Wal-Mart (rectangle shape and only a couple inches big). Loomed all my wiring and followed the existing wires from the back to the front of the truck. That was a task since on my drivers side, the electrical is run on the inside of the frame for the majority of the run. That was fun.

Here are some pics though:

The switch. Was very pleased to be able to place it here. Very happy:

The lights:

The light output:

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by russ10screw
I decided to tackle this project myself. I'm on an OBS SuperCrew though. I did it the "simple" way I guess. Mounted them and wired them to an independent switch so I control their use at all times. Didn't want them automatically coming on every time I back up.

Followed the suggestions though. Bought a set of "Burners" Fog lights from Wal-Mart (rectangle shape and only a couple inches big). Loomed all my wiring and followed the existing wires from the back to the front of the truck. That was a task since on my drivers side, the electrical is run on the inside of the frame for the majority of the run. That was fun.

Here are some pics though:

The switch. Was very pleased to be able to place it here. Very happy:

The lights:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...kup-lights.jpg
The light output:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...lumination.jpg
Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. Thanks.
How did you go about setting the switch there? did you take the side of the dash apart or were you able to fish the wires and such through using the Headlight Switch hole to move you hands around?

BTW, It looks nice.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 AM

I pulled out the Headlight Switch and disconnected the harnesses. I unscrewed the one screw holding the dash piece tight. I then removed the one screw directly below the pictured switch on the lower dash piece (holds the emergency brake release, etc.). I also removed the screws anchoring the emergency brake release and the hood release. This allowed me enough play in the dash pieces to snake the wires up to the headlight switch hole. I tested my setup and once working I traced my template for my switch hole and dremeled it out (there was nothing immediately behind this spot in the dash). Hooked it up properly and then reassembled the dash pieces. Was pleasantly surprised I was able to do all that without serious complications. Worked out perfectly. Thanks for the compliment!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by blackjack8900
UPDATE:

The beam on the left side is getting cut off by the snow bank...otherwise it looks just like the right side...the snow bank behind me is also blocking it too ... But you can see they do light up the neighbors house behind me!!
Blackjack8900, Is this the name of the lights you got from Fleet Farm?
"Navigator Hitch Mount Back Up Light"

Where did you get the switch?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Grunthunter

Not sure if you were asking me about the switch, but if so, it actually came with the lights I bought at Wal-Mart. That was a pleasant surprise.

Here's a daytime pic of where I installed them:

Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grunthunter

Yes, I believe that is what they were called...They also come with brackets that you can use to mount them right to the hitch.

I got the switch from Fleet farm too.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Blackjack (or anyone who could answer this),

Where exactly is the ignition wire under the steering column that you tapped into? I have looked for a while on two seperate occasions and cant seem to find it. Since I couldnt find it, I tried tapping into the ignition wire that goes to the radio but for some reason it wouldnt work with the switch and relay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh and sorry for bringing up an old thread.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by dittothat
Blackjack (or anyone who could answer this),

Where exactly is the ignition wire under the steering column that you tapped into? I have looked for a while on two seperate occasions and cant seem to find it. Since I couldnt find it, I tried tapping into the ignition wire that goes to the radio but for some reason it wouldnt work with the switch and relay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh and sorry for bringing up an old thread.
It is the main group of them right down the middle of the column, they are tapped together tightly with tape so you will need to cut it so you can separate the wires apart a bit to get a good look. Also, you are taking the lower piece of plastic dash off right too see back there?...it is the man one under the steering column. ( It is held on with two 8mm nuts on the bottom and two push clips up high)

Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Nicely done

Quick Reply: Auxiliary backup lights installed (How to/pics)