Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Auxiliary backup lights installed (How to/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone thought about doing these with some sort of actuator or something that actually lowers them down when switched on, then pulling them up when not in use? I think it would make for a clean install if you couldn't see the lights poking out from under the bumper unless you are backing up and they are turned on. This would be really cool.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 AM
i wouldn't have put them there personally... but on your truck you can;t even see them when off... looks great.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Nice job. I wired mine via fuse to the reverse light wire in the trailer harness (mine has tow package). I figure, if I've never seen a trailer with reverse lights, then I'm pretty sure I will never have one. I thought about getting a relay and wiring it up so they only come on when the headlights are one. I like mine fully auto. Also, mine are mounted to the bottom of the rear leaf spring bracket, and they are a bit more stealth with plenty of light output. I like your dark lenses though. Mine would be that much more more stealth with those lights instead of chrome buckets.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
I've been looking at those lights before to mount on the sides of my truck. Would you mind snapping a couple pics of the beam pattern?
I can try to get a few pics for you tonight if it's not storming out.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
This is on my list also. Should get around to it this summer sometime.

Sal

Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Very nice!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Good Job! I've been meaning to do this myself but I plan on just using the reverse lights as the trigger for the relay.
I thought the same thing too till I saw his pictures. Then I thought, "Hey, that'd be really useful for hooking up the trailer in the dark." It shouldn't be too big of a challenge to make them come on with the reverse lights and also with the switch. Just wiring the relay properly. I like this idea.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Where'd you get those fog lights (the black ones)?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackjack8900
Well I have another thing off my list of things to do. I have wanted to install auxiliary backup lights for sometime now and finally got around to doing it. I ordered the lights from Jcwhitney.com; they are the Navigator (NV-534). They were 46.99 for the set. They are actually fog lights but there low profile design was just what I was looking for. Each light is 55 watts a piece; they come with the wiring, fuse, switch, mounting brackets, and hardware.
I take it you did not read my first post?

Originally Posted by ELVATO
Where'd you get those fog lights (the black ones)?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
:o

I just skimmed it, and went directly for the pictures.

Looks good, man.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Nice install blackjack! I agree with going down the left side and tying onto the existing wiring harness (I went down the right with a big cable bundle for other reasons.)

For those interested, there is a circuit I used on my high power reverse light install that disables them when the ignition is on and reverse is not engaged. In other words, you can switch them on when you are reversing for more back up lighting, or when the ignition is off for area lighting. It prevents them from accidentally being on when you are going forward. You can find it on my web site.

I originally used fog lights for mine, but did not like the concentration of light in a horizontal bar. I changed them out for flood lights.

For those not familiar with the mods site I put together, click the picture in my signature and follow to the mods. Each mod has a general description, and at the bottom is a link labeled "mod notes" which has the step-by-step stuff.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 PM
i just bought these same lights, my truck is black too so it'll look almost identical, can you take a pic of right where you mounted them i cant tell very well. id like mine to look just like yours

Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by mattsch18
i just bought these same lights, my truck is black too so it'll look almost identical, can you take a pic of right where you mounted them i cant tell very well. id like mine to look just like yours
I will try to get some this weekend. I mounted mine about 3/4" away from the hitch, I had just enough room to get a wrench along side of it and tighten the nut down. I think I had the bracket flush to the back of the bumper.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
never mind lol now i see, i zoomed up to the pic and saw that you drilled right into the bumper lol duh..... it looks so clean i didnt thing you mounted them to the auctual bumper lol now i see thanks though

Old 06-05-2009, 05:07 PM
looks good man, I really like the lights you used, makes it look like back up sensors or something from factory, they hide very easy

Quick Reply: Auxiliary backup lights installed (How to/pics)