DWV Intake Mod for 2004-2008 F150 with 5.4L Engine

Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Does the Mod work on the good ol' 4.6?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a similar mod for the4.6L. Just replace the restrictive tip that goes into the fender with a piece of ABS or PVC pipe. Search for the Gotts mod.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by kd4crs
There is a similar mod for the4.6L. Just replace the restrictive tip that goes into the fender with a piece of ABS or PVC pipe. Search for the Gotts mod.
I think they also need to remove the silencer which is inside the air tube.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Performed this mod on my truck today, I think i did a horrible paint job but its done. Pics are in my gallery for all to see. I do notice a difference seems a little more peppy on take off and acceleration. Now its time for a new air filter, K&N or AEM.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
HI all :Just bought all the piece's but didnt get to install yet very windy today. can't wait to try it out!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this mod about 2 weeks ago, had to use PVC instead of ABS pipe (black ABS is impossible to find around here) and instead of painting it I wrapped it with electrical tape, for some reason I think that paint would just flake off after a couple of months. Looks good enough to me.

It's amazing that the 3" pipe fits almost perfectly inside the bellows on the stock intake, almost like it was make to fit the 3" pipe.

When I first put it on, the downspout adapter seemed like it wouldn't hold inside the fender wall hole, even with the bellows compressed, but it hasn't popped out yet. Must not be enough vibration in there to jar it loose.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 AM
My painting skills suck, BUT it serves its purpose. The connector into the fender seems very loose, but has not come out yet on me either. Good inexpensive mod.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 PM
YDM
Downspout problem

Just an FYI to all those who have done this mod...check your downspout rubber adapter.

On a recent trip doing a lot of mountain towing, I did a routine engine check during a gas stop. I noticed the plastic air intake tube going to the fender was loose. Low and behold the downspout rubber end that goes in to the fender hole had sucked itself backwards in to the tube. It didn't come off the tube or anything but there was definitely both a restriction and engine compartment air getting sucked in to the engine.

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic but I did solve the problem by inserting a 3" OD plastic fitting with an 1/8" shoulder on it in to the downspout end. This prevents the end from collapsing. Best I can describe the fitting (I had it laying around on a shelf in the garage) is and EMT type collar, you know, the gray colored stuff used to run electrical underground. Should be able to find a 3" OD one at Lowes or Home Depot.

Some may not have this problem but those who tow and are at wide open throttle for a lengthy period of time may have this happen so beware!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Has anyone been able to find a downspout connector at Home Depot? The closest Lowes is over 40 miles away from where I live but there is a Home Depot down the street. So if I could it would nice not to have to make the trip.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
New member, first post. Bought an '06 four months ago and I will slowly make some changes as money and time permit. It is completely stock. Did this intake mod last weekend and it was very easy. Cost less than $10 for all of the parts from Lowes. Disconnected battery while making changes. Afterwards, the engine ran bad for two days. I guess the PCM needed to learn again. Now, it is running like before but I cannot say I notice improvement. The throttle response still lags and the performance is not what I would expect from a 5.4. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 AM
How long does it take for the PCM to get used to the new air flow?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by rather-be-fishn
New member, first post. Bought an '06 four months ago and I will slowly make some changes as money and time permit. It is completely stock. Did this intake mod last weekend and it was very easy. Cost less than $10 for all of the parts from Lowes. Disconnected battery while making changes. Afterwards, the engine ran bad for two days. I guess the PCM needed to learn again. Now, it is running like before but I cannot say I notice improvement. The throttle response still lags and the performance is not what I would expect from a 5.4. Thanks.
You need a tuner.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by triton5.4FX4
How long does it take for the PCM to get used to the new air flow?
It takes several driving cycles unless you clear it by disconnecting the battery. I disconneted teh battery while I did th mod. Leave it disconnected 20 to 30 minutes and turn the lights on.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIHLON
I did the Gotts intake mod on my truck which is basically identical to this and everyone at F150.net bashed me and said I was going to burn up my engine because it will be running lean. Even if it does run lean it would only be at WOT which I seldom go anyway. I'm glad someone actually had dynoed one and has firsthand experience and not just a bunch of dumbasses repeating what they've read.
How could it possibly cause any engine trouble by running lean? This mod comes in before the MAF sensor? The MAF tells the injection how much air is getting through which in turn sets the air / fuel mixture...

What I want to know is how much flow can a 3" ID pipe flow uncompressed? I would imagine the larger the pipe the better, Or at least eliminating any bends, or rough surfaces on the inside of the pipe would be best...

Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I did this to my truck yesterday. I already had the drop-in K&N in there but this DWV mod made it more breathable. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DWV Intake Mod for 2004-2008 F150 with 5.4L Engine