Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Have you not changed your fuel filter in awhile? Fuel filters are probably the most neglected preventative maintenance. Fuel filters screen out dirt and rust particles that may have gotten into your fuel tank or lines. Clogged fuel filters can add a variety of issues to your vehicle and extra wear to your fuel system.

Read the full discussion below to find out how to replace your fuel filter.
Print Wikipost

2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just changed mine @ 30,000 miles. Thanks for this great article. BTW mine was definitely 3/8. The one that auto zone gave me was correct. The only thing i don't like is that it was made in China. After inspecting the motocraft factory filter, it was made in the USA.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On ORANGE CLIP topic. DON'T PULL IT OUT !!!!! Push it in as you push and then pull filter out.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Blue chip

So I'm not sure if this is on here but i saw alot of post's with the orange and only one with the blue. It took me a half hour and a EN2 to figure this out. I know thats not saying much but if you have the blue chip you only need the tool for the FWD part, DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER to get the back part off IT WILL BREAK. All you have to do is un clip it and push in the middle of the blue chip down it will then slide off. For the rest, this write up is awsome and so do the pics. i went to Auto Zone and did not have any troubles with the filter. As far as the clip breaking it went back on with no problems.The top just brokje off. I don't think its leaking but it was raining when I changed it out. I'm assumeing it went back normally. I herd it click so we will see. If any of yall have pics with the replaced clip that would be awsome. Thanks again.
TEX.

Last edited by TX_FX4; 09-16-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: add on
Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 PM
just occurred to me i need to replace my filter very soon but the last time i did i used the screw driver method and broke part of the holder its in. so gonna need a whole new line but its the extension piece...anyone got the part number handy?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Great post, specialy the post explaning how to work the blue clips! I changed mine last weekend. 10 min job after I let it sit for 2 hours, hardly any fuel spillage. I love this forum. All of you guys are great!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I've read every post here and I would like to tackle this, this Sat. I guess its safe to say that the 07 should have a blue clip. Can someone provide me with a link as to what this tool looks like that I should be purchasing to remove the blue clip. Also with all these post I can't believe that we don't have a youtube video of this already. If I'm not mistaken I think my truck (2007) fuel filter part number is FG-1083

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
I've read every post here and I would like to tackle this, this Sat. I guess its safe to say that the 07 should have a blue clip. Can someone provide me with a link as to what this tool looks like that I should be purchasing to remove the blue clip. Also with all these post I can't believe that we don't have a youtube video of this already. If I'm not mistaken I think my truck (2007) fuel filter part number is FG-1083
I have an 07 and just changed my filter the other day. Don't need the tool for the blue clip. just grab the middle portion of the clip with a finger nail and lift up. then push down on the middle of the clip while pulling the line back. You need the tool for the forward side of the filter, it doesn't have a clip

Don't forget to relieve the pressure. Either let it sit for several hours or in my case I just disconnected the fuel pump connector ( its behind a black plastic splash guard on the frame rail just below the filter and it's the lower connector ) and crank the engine a bit.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by RegLiner
I have an 07 and just changed my filter the other day. Don't need the tool for the blue clip. just grab the middle portion of the clip with a finger nail and lift up. then push down on the middle of the clip while pulling the line back. You need the tool for the forward side of the filter, it doesn't have a clip

Don't forget to relieve the pressure. Either let it sit for several hours or in my case I just disconnected the fuel pump connector ( its behind a black plastic splash guard on the frame rail just below the filter and it's the lower connector ) and crank the engine a bit.
I have the parts and still haven't done this yet. So the tool is needed for the front side. My truck has been sitting for days so I guess I don't need to relieve any pressure, lol

Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Just changed mine today at 105k. Replaced with a Wix...

This thread was a great help...especially the part about pushing the hose toward the filter then using the tool.

Took about 15 minutes!

Regards!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by kcward
Just changed mine today at 105k. Replaced with a Wix...

This thread was a great help...especially the part about pushing the hose toward the filter then using the tool.

Took about 15 minutes!

Regards!
What part # did you use for the WIX?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Wix 33595...came with two clips which I didn't use? Everything went back together with no trouble.

I also bought the Lisle 3/8" Angled fuel line tool (blue) P/N 39420. My truck has the blue clip for what its worth (Kansas City build).

Truck seems to run smoother, but the fuel economy is still very low at about 11.4 mpg.

Regards!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Did mine yesterday with no problems. 15 minute job. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! The dealership wanted $60 to replace the filter. I paid $22.25 at O'Reilly for a new MC filter and disconnect tool. It took me maybe 20 minutes to complete the job. The blue clip is what gave me the biggest problem. I ended up breaking a piece of the triangle center piece off trying to figure out how to disconnect it from the fuel line. I finally realized I needed to push in on the two outer most portions of the clip while pulling it off the fuel line. (This is after I had the inner triangle section pulled out.) There was enough of the inner part of the clip to push it back in and reconnect the fuel line without problem. No leaks so far.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...uel-filter.jpg

Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Z06David
I did this today using the 5/16" scissor tool. I have the plastic clips but couldn't get it to work, so I tried the scissor tool. What I did is pushed the tool into the fuel line while pushing the fuel line onto the tool, it then clicked and came off.
I am glad I read about this step. This is how mine came off to, I did not break anything taking the lines off or when I put it back together.

The fuel I drained from the inlet side of the filter was mud brown, the outlet side fuel was clear for the most part. I am sure that some stuff was getting thru.

Great article, tip to everyone make sure you read everything before you start the project.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Did this today, and it was easy. 2007, so I had the blue clip. Put it up on the lift, changed the filter, and back on the ground in under 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: 2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures