Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Update:
          Swap is totally complete. One thing to watch out for is the tune, after everything was installed i was throwing lean codes and had a misfire i was completely unable to diagnose. Once i installed my initial custom tune it smoothed everything out. I received a tune from a local performance shop so i was able to receive it fairly quickly, but from reading other posts people who have received them from other runers over the internet it seems like sometimes it takes a very long time to come. Would probably be a good idea to order a tune before you even start the swap to get a deadline.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          Notes revised today. Cleaned up the torque converter section. Added PCM info to the Tuning paragraph it is now PCM and Tuning.

JMC

Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 PM
          JMC

The notes part 2 were revised to add more info and clear up any confusion to the accessories section.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
          GFP
          i found a 2000 4.6 dual overhead cam engine, out of a linc. cont.,what will i have to do to make it fit in a 1999 f150 ?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM
          hello everyone im a new member here and am really new to car motors.
          anyway, i bought my truck for cheap 2,000 dollars its a 97 xcab f150 4.6 its has high mileage, the mileage gauge stoped working at 220,000 miles so i got a lot of milage on it.
          its body is in good condition and if the motor stops working i plan to fix it up.i aint one of those rich kids who just buy new cars i want to learn and fix up my truck. anyway i was reading this thread and had a few questions..
          what exact motor do i have is it a romeo or windsor?
          what 5.4 motor would be best to swap into this truck? because i know there are lots of 5.4 motors for the f150.
          i understand the 4.6 trans will bolt to the 5.4 but i dont understand that torqe converter thing on the write up..
          if u could help me out that would be great.
          when my trucks motor dies i plan to do step by step on here with pictures so that maybe u folks with more experience could help me..aloha!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Originally Posted by GFP
          i found a 2000 4.6 dual overhead cam engine, out of a linc. cont.,what will i have to do to make it fit in a 1999 f150 ?
          If it's from a FWD Conti it it nearly impossible, the RWD Contis will adapt with a lot of effort.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
          I think the lincoln motors may have speced differently? I remember reading about PI swaps on mustangs a while back, and it was explaining how with PI truck heads, the motor would have more low end torque, but not near the HP? i would imagine that it would be the reverse for a lincoln to truck swap. Scour the internet, i'm sure someone out there somewhere has done it and blogged about it.

P.S-Check your VIN to see if you have a romeo or windsor, you can look up how to decipher it here on the forum. And as for which engine would work, it has to be a 2valve, look on the first page of this thread, it goes into far more detail about the different years. I used a 2001, and with an ECU reflash, it works extremely well.

Last edited by 79rocket; 02-09-2011 at 11:36 AM.
          Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM
          4.6 to 5.4 swap HELP!!!!!!

Hey guys new to this forum but need help bad, here is my situation I have a 2000 expedtion the 4.6 seized so I decide what the hell lets upgrade so i found a 5.4 out of a 1998 F-150 everything seemed to bolt up fine, at end of install i have two connectors that I have no idea where they go in the rear of the motor I used the 4.6 harness. Ok so It started right up first turn of key but runs like crap I mean horrible what did I do wrong or what do I need to do? Do i need to buy a 5.4 ECU or can I have the 4.6 ECU tuned has anyone had these problems I am so confused right now maybe more frustrated but any help would be great.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
          What color are the wires, and what do the connectors look like? did you number them at all when you switched them, if you could say where they hooked up to the 4.6, that would help alot. It may be useful to purchase a chilton manual, and spend some quality time with the wiring schematics in the back. My ECU needed a tune badly, it was running terribly when i ran the 5.4 with the 4.6 tune, my tuner told me that it ran very lean.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
          Ok hey guys fairly new here, I did the 4.6 to 5.4 swap in my expedition it starts up great but runs like crap. It idles really rough and lopes like it is running very lean. Do i need to get my ECU tuned for the 5.4 and who does this I have talked to local places and they say use a 5.4 ECU but on these forums I have heard not too Please HELP!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
          JMC

If instead of using a 5.4 you used a 4.6 for the swap what would you be doing about the left over wires? What would your local places say about that? You have too many variables to properly diagnose the problem. Fix the obvious first. Find a home for the wires.
          The reason for using the 4.6 harness is to eliminate any wiring problems. The 4.6 harness successfully ran a 4.6 so it should do the same for the 5.4. That is if you wire it properly.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM
          OK I found where the wires went, But one cannot be connected the 4.6 had a CHT sensor the 5.4 does not what do I do about that? and it still does not run right. It still idles rough.

Originally Posted by JMC
          If instead of using a 5.4 you used a 4.6 for the swap what would you be doing about the left over wires? What would your local places say about that? You have too many variables to properly diagnose the problem. Fix the obvious first. Find a home for the wires.
          The reason for using the 4.6 harness is to eliminate any wiring problems. The 4.6 harness successfully ran a 4.6 so it should do the same for the 5.4. That is if you wire it properly.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
          JMC

Someone removed the CHT sensor on the 5.4. All of the truck 5.4s have a CHT sensor. Remove the one from your 4.6 and put it in the 5.4.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
          For the idle, check all of your vacuums. Mine was running terribly rough when i first dropped it in, would barely idle at all-turned out to be the IAC, clean and check that out.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
          sub'd and also what is HP and TQ on the L Swap in a 2000 5.4 (L)

im thinking of getting this
          http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7330_241438_0_

Last edited by 1998f150wes; 04-10-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes