Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          The 4r100 transmission uses a different set of controls. While your tuner may have sorted out the engine tune I doubt that he properly addressed the transmission issues. While you have the correct harness the 4R70W PCM is not looking for the inputs in the same wires as the 4R100. A PCM from a Lightning or a 5.4 with the 4R100 (F-250LD or 7700) should fix the issues.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Hello,

Thank you for the information. Can the 5.4 Pcm hat was from factory tuned for a 4r70w transmission be tuned to work with the 4r100 transmission? I ask as the person who dyno tuned it for the lighting engine charged me around 2500 to do this.

Will that explain why my speedo stopped working? With the pid readings on my scanner i read vss activity. It reads improperly and cluster does not read.

Also.. i have a p0172 and p0175 i also noticed recently that only one fuel pump out of two in the tank are connected. Truck starts right up no missfire. Checked fuel pressure koeo and reads up too 35 pise. Koer 28 psi.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 AM
          Flexplate

Just a note for you to add to your swap notes (very good btw). Ford has 2 different flex plates for the 8 bolt crank depending on the transmission. My 5.4 came with a flex plate, and i assumed they were all the same. The depth is different for the torque convertor studs, causing the tranny to bind up when trying to install. I searched high and low and tried 5 different aftermarket ones (crossing directly from the Ford part #) from different parts houses, and all of them that crossed to it were incorrect. Had to get one directly from Ford (part number 4C3Z-6375-AA). So if anyone else has problems with binding, this is what you need to fix it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
          different kind of swap 98 E-250 4x4

I working on a total different type of swap and need your technical support.
          I have a 2998 e-250 5.4l Triton 4R100 transwith a Quigley 4x4 conversion. I have none everything I can for the mechanical restoration of this utility vehicle. It runs and drives great. I want to swap out the Body! I have a (rustfree) 1998 E-150 Conversion Van with the 4.6 4R70 setup.
          So my questions are related to what will adapt: wiring harness, control models, cruise control unit and anything else I may run into.
          I'm a bodyman by trade and may need some help with this technical information.
          THANKS

Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 PM
          JMC

If it were me I would swap the entire electrical systems. That means pulling both dashes and engine/body/trans harnesses and swapping them into the new body. Why? Because when electrical gremlins pop up I will not have some pieced together mess to deal with. I am facing a similar situation with my 13 year old truck. I am looking for a clean cab to swap out.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 AM
          Thanks for the reply.

The reason I wanted to do the body switch is due to some lower body rust and the "ELECTRICAL GREMLINS" that this beat shell contains! I've added power windows and locks but dash lights and rear heat and a/c will make it niceer.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM
          JMC

The best bet then is to get the wire diagrams for both vehicles and see what matches. Start with the pin out from the PCM and work your way through the engine compartment to the bulkhead then on into the cab. I can tell you for sure that the transmission harness will not work.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
          4.6 to 5.4 swap

I have an 02 with the 4.6 I have been thinking about swapping to the 5.4 and was wondering what year 5.4 engine would be the easiest swap along with what all i would need to change along with it. Im not sure which trans i have but its a 4 speed auto if that helps... Manly what im looking for is the easiest swap that puts a 5.4 in my engine bay and will still pass emmisions testing and run properly... Any help would be appreciated....Thanks

Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
          I have a 97 expedition with the 4.6L and getting ready to swap in a 5.4L for a 01 f150.

I looked through all the notes and understand most of them. I have a question about the knock sensor though. Do I reuse the 4.6 one in the 5.4 block or do I have to rewire the 5.4 sensor for the 4.6 harness?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
          Originally Posted by JDwornik
          I have a 97 expedition with the 4.6L and getting ready to swap in a 5.4L for a 01 f150.

I looked through all the notes and understand most of them. I have a question about the knock sensor though. Do I reuse the 4.6 one in the 5.4 block or do I have to rewire the 5.4 sensor for the 4.6 harness?
          I just did this on my '97 F150 (except I went to a 1999 5.4). You cannot use the 4.6 knock sensor because it doesn't fit. You have a buy a 5.4 knock sensor and then wire the old plug into it.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 AM

I had hoped my first post of these forums would have been just to say hello to all from Australia.

I have done a bit of a search and found this thread the closest to what I'm looking for. Firstly, I have a 2000 F150 extra cab 4x4 with 5.4 Triton 2v engine, 4R100 auto trans and has done 250,000 miles. Engine has never been apart from new - a few days ago I had the engine cease up on the motorway, has plenty of oil, would appear the oil pump has failed with possible blockages for the oil to return from the heads to the sump for the miles the motor has done adding to the end result. For now, I am assuming there will be sever galling inside the oil pump from the initial problem with most likely secondary damage from spun bearings and galling on the crank and cam shafts as well as the pistons/ rings may have picked up on the cylinder walls. I have tried to turn the engine over by hand and can only just get it to budge a few degrees at a time. Based on these assumptions, I'm thinking a replacement engine is going to be easier, cheaper and quicker than a full rebuild of the original 2v engine.

The 2v engine would be as common as mud in the US but is rare to find here in Australia. My thoughts are to use the more common 3v or even 4v motor that are standard equipment here in Ford BA to BF Falcons. They are all still based on the 5.4 engine block so engine mounts and transmissions will all fit the same so my main concerns would be as follows;

1- wiring compatibility, is it as simple as using the sensors from the original motor to get the new engine to fire up.
          2 - I believe the 3v and 4v motors both have variable cam timing which is operated by the ECU through using engine oil pressure to operate the mechanism. Will leaving the variable timing disconnected, as there is no provision in the current wiring for activation, allow the new motor to run with these basic settings.
          3 - I hope to obtain with any donor motor I come up with, the ECU and wiring from the same vehicle. I am more than capable of making a stand alone wiring harness if need be but am unsure of the 4R100 transmissions requirements, dependency or compatibility to the new wiring/ ECU. Depending on compatibility, item 2 above may not be an issue.

I am a qualified motor mechanic and have been for nearly 30 years however I no longer have the agility to be climbing in and around vehicles as the big 50 approaches for me in a few weeks time. I will take care of the electrics where I am able to but someone else will be on the nuts and bolts for me.

I look forward to any advise in this matter and hope that this thread was an appropriate place to ask. There may be some other issues I haven't though of as yet that you may be able to advise on.

Regards, Danny.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 AM
          JMC

I would look further into the 4v engines. I don't think they use variable timing. That would eliminate the requirement of disabling the valve timing control. One slight problem would be the IMRC. The 2000 2v uses a single intake runner style manifold.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
          Thanks Jean, I have looked into it a bit more - yes the Australian 4v engines do not have the variable cam timing (VCT) where as the 3v engines do so the 4v may be less complicated to initially set up. The IMRC system seems to only apply to the US based engines as I cannot find any info where it is in use here in AU on any of the 5.4 based engines either 3 or 4v. The 4v is know as a Boss engine here and come in 260, 290, 315 and 335 KW.

Just after my original post, I was able to locate a running '99 5.4 2v engine that has done 175,000 miles for $600 complete with accessories, wiring and ECU. At least it's a runner but I wouldn't just put it in without a rebuild. Rockauto in the US has a complete master rebuild kit for around $900 to my door here in AU and includes pistons, rings, bearings, timing kit, oil pump, full gasket set and so on. Doesn't appear to have a water pump so would order also.

So I'm looking at somewhere between 2000 to 3000 before it's ready to go in. My quandary is I am also looking at a new in crate, never been started Boss 290 4v engine. No ECU but does have the engine wiring harness. The 4v doesn't have the VCT or IMRC so a swap over of ancillary sensors like water, oil, timing and so on along with some wiring changes where required may be enough for start up.

Not sure which path to take.

Regards, Danny.

Last edited by sonic_racing; 12-17-2012 at 08:20 PM.
          Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 PM
          I have a 2004 heritage. (old body style) 4.6 4x4. I also have a 2001 super crew thats totaled with 5.4. What am I looking at to do this swap? I have all wiring harnesses PCM ECU everything. The Supercrew is 2 wheel drive so I will have to use 2004 transmission.
          The 04 has the COP's so I will stick with that system.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM
          4.6l F150 to 5.4l engine form a Explorer

I was wondering if I could take a 5.4l Engine and Tranny from a 98 explorer and put it in my 97 F150 that has a 4.6l with 237,800 miles and a slipping tranny. Is there any complications with the different styles or is it cut and paste persay?
          Also can i just take the computer, harness and everything over with it or not?

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes