Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Cleaning the Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I used a coarse sanding wheel, then medium wheel followed up by a few fine wheels and then #800 or #1000.

Left the throttle plate alone (it's a good idea, you don't need to to remove for a port and polish anyway.) - Used a 3" buffing wheel w/ "Rouge" polishing compound - Follow up w/2.5" Buff w/ jewelers "White" compound.

She will never get dirty again - Yea get that Anti Sludge coating out of there - That stuff will hinder performance if left in there long enough.

BTW - I Polished the inside of the 5.4's monster aluminum intake using similar methods - that was a b^tch and time consuming - had to use worm wheels to get it all.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i clean my TB put it back on, drove around the block. The pedel was a lot softer than before, is this normal or did i hook the cable up wrong. the pedel didn't stick and everything else seems fine

Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Due to a 401 code I had, I finally broke down a took my TB off to clean it. It took maybe 2 hours, but was well worth it.

Clogged ports going to the EGR, hence "insufficient flow"

Clean and ready to mount....

Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
ya. One major problem that causes alot of idle and throttle response issues is carbon build up in the TB and plenum. Carbon builds up everywhere, every small hole is a catch-can for carbon buildup. Your picture of the EGR pathway clogged is what many look like and they just dont know it. As far as the coating Ford says not to remove, just chalk it up to another instance of the factory blowing smoke up your (*^*(^(. It works for a few years, about just long enough to cover their warranty period. But nothing stops buildup. While your taking the top end apart to clean all this, do yourselves a favor and loose the air cone connection to the fender. There is a small chanber inside which if you look into it, is about 2.5" maybe 3" wide. This is a major choke on your engines breathing. Loose that and let your engine breath, you'll appreciate the throttle response on the highway. It is in place as the factorys way of quieting the intake noise, hence the name silencer cone. It's as desireable as the TB coating .

Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 87GN
ya. One major problem that causes alot of idle and throttle response issues is carbon build up in the TB and plenum. Carbon builds up everywhere, every small hole is a catch-can for carbon buildup. Your picture of the EGR pathway clogged is what many look like and they just dont know it. As far as the coating Ford says not to remove, just chalk it up to another instance of the factory blowing smoke up your (*^*(^(. It works for a few years, about just long enough to cover their warranty period. But nothing stops buildup. While your taking the top end apart to clean all this, do yourselves a favor and loose the air cone connection to the fender. There is a small chanber inside which if you look into it, is about 2.5" maybe 3" wide. This is a major choke on your engines breathing. Loose that and let your engine breath, you'll appreciate the throttle response on the highway. It is in place as the factorys way of quieting the intake noise, hence the name silencer cone. It's as desireable as the TB coating .
Your right on most parts - Well , maybe it's just confusing due to the way you worded a few things.

1. The silencer has nothing to do with the "Air Cone" (as you call it), that taps into the inner fender well. Two seperate deals. The Silencer is mounted (fixed) inside the air barrel, it's factory glued. That does not need to come out. In fact, if you remove this, you'll loose performance using the stock system. Oh , you'll here induction noises that fool you into thinking differently - but there's no gainer there.

2. Air Cone - Now that's where you can help a stock motor out. The "Gott's Mod" is what quite a few of here use in place of the the factory plumbing. Factory is about 2" @ the opening before the the filter box. With the "Gott's mod" you get another inch. That's enables enough cold air on demand for better performance all around.

A step up from that would be a 3" intake system, but the stock TB & Plenum is only going to draw so much air. You really need to bump your HP 30 + to get good use out of that system.

I'm referring to the 97-03 models - (Modulars).

When you P/P the TB & Plenum on a stocker- She really gittsit on the high side when you put the coals to her

(BTW, I agree - that anti sludge in the TB has adverse effects after awhile and contributes to mucking things up inside)

All info, mods testing done are posted in this thread - Pics in my gallery -Album one. Custom Intakes I made are in 2.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-19-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
hear induction noises?? With the 2 chamber flowmasters all I heard with windows down is the exhaust (or an obnoxious sound system). An engine is really nothing but a large air pump, and anything you can do to decrease restriction in airflow means the engine works more efficiently. Alot of changes aren't noticable unless you track your gas mileage closely. But 1-5 HP increases wont be felt in the seat. HP is exponensial, more you have, more it takes to make a difference.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 AM

Yea, your sh^t is getting deep ..~ Real fast

Old 09-20-2008, 04:09 AM
Oh really. care to elaborate? you sure are quick to put people down, yet do nothing but say "wrong". Back it up. Pick any statement in the previous message and try to prove me wrong in any of it. I'm game for a challenge, are you?

I'll even start you off. "HP is exponensial" is a mathematical fact of physics. You can verify that with anyone with a major in physics.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Oh really. care to elaborate? you sure are quick to put people down, yet do nothing but say "wrong". Back it up. Pick any statement in the previous message and try to prove me wrong in any of it. I'm game for a challenge, are you?

I'll even start you off. "HP is exponensial" is a mathematical fact of physics. You can verify that with anyone with a major in physics.
Yea really

Elaborate? - If you insist pal. First of all, you could have just straightened out your first post as it was confusing the way it's worded , or I was confused (if you like) - IE: Silencer & Air Cone. Two different components of the air intake system. You explain it as the same component; No? - Regardless, you didn't answer, went on the defensive right away and began to cry.

Put people down ? I don't put anyone down ? Your whining again - Try to fix that will yuh? It's getting annoying..

Game for a challenge you ask? "HP is exponential" - you say ? A fact of physics ??? Well Duhhh!!! lol ...Come on mannnnn... Oh alright, I’ll attempt to refresh your memory. - Simply put and from the beginning of time or close to it,- horsepower is the by-product of 3 variables = Force, Work and Time. This was taught in high school , remember? Oh let's go find someone with papers, someone on sabbatical so they may learn from you possibly. D'oh! Nice start Homer.

BTW - What is actually measured on a dyno is torque, expressed in foot pounds. They *calculate* actual horsepower by converting the twisting force of torque into the work units of horsepower.

I’ll elaborate further if neccesary (hope not!) - I would like to know what your talking about in your first post on this page , that's all I want to know - I don't care much for the other garbage you felt the need to throw in - BONE HEAD

Last edited by jbrew; 09-20-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 AM
whining? haha. good grief dude. only one immature around here is you. Just cant accept the fact that you dont know it all, and trust me, you dont. You seriously need to get an education on pneumatics and electronics. For one, removing the sound baffel inside the air cone is NOT going to lower performance. NO restriction in an air path increases performance in any way. You can argue that all you want, you'll never change that rule.
And torque is measured in pound feet, not foot pounds. If you're gonna give info, at least know that proper terminology. Supposedly you like to claim to be the know it all.
And the silencer is the small oriface that connects the air cone to the fender well, with a small opening meant to minimize the amount of sound waves that escape. The part glued inside the cone is nothing but a baffle that works in much the same way straight thru glass pack mufflers work. And as you like to claim ford engineers are top notch in desigh, that connection to the inner fender well is as engineering goes, Stupid. As soon as the engine starts up the air space in that fender well becomes a negative air space (vacuum) and you are now trying to feed the engine while going down the road from a space that is already negative. The only thing they did well was the small ram air they made on the superduty diesels. That same design should have been implemented on all vehicles.
As far as the first post, if you have trouble following simple english, I'd suggest reenlisting in some middle school classes. Cause there really is nothing there complicated to follow.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:49 AM
whining? haha. good grief dude. only one immature around here is you. Just cant accept the fact that you dont know it all, and trust me, you dont. You seriously need to get an education on pneumatics and electronics. For one, removing the sound baffel inside the air cone is NOT going to lower performance. NO restriction in an air path increases performance in any way. You can argue that all you want, you'll never change that rule.
And torque is measured in pound feet, not foot pounds. If you're gonna give info, at least know that proper terminology. Supposedly you like to claim to be the know it all.
And the silencer is the small oriface that connects the air cone to the fender well, with a small opening meant to minimize the amount of sound waves that escape. The part glued inside the cone is nothing but a baffle that works in much the same way straight thru glass pack mufflers work. And as you like to claim ford engineers are top notch in desigh, that connection to the inner fender well is as engineering goes, Stupid. As soon as the engine starts up the air space in that fender well becomes a negative air space (vacuum) and you are now trying to feed the engine while going down the road from a space that is already negative. The only thing they did well was the small ram air they made on the superduty diesels. That same design should have been implemented on all vehicles.
As far as the first post, if you have trouble following simple english, I'd suggest reenlisting in some middle school classes. Cause there really is nothing there complicated to follow.

Simple English? Dude check out your own posts...wow.

Dude, don't come in here and flip out about nothing...grow a set. Its the Internet, don't like what you read? Then click next.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 AM

THE SILENCER IS THE BAFFLE D^CKHEAD - I've had it with this jerk.

I'm an engineer @ Bp and work with electric over hydraulics every day; ran, via satellite (GPS).

I've done my time getting educated and most likely have forgotten more than you'll ever know.

I know you lack comprehension, but man, you should at-least learn yourself some spelling.

Here get educated - THE SILENCER - http://www.fordf150.net/howto/airintake.php

Read up on Induction noises because that's what you get from removing - as I TRIED explaining to you earlier.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-21-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:43 AM
only jerk around here is you ****head. and as far as forgetting more than I'll ever know, please dude. Any time you wanna go head to head on an IQ test, be my guest. You really are an *******. Half of what you've been bitching about me at has been stuff you've put in my mouth. I havent even mentioned half what you bitch about. Like I said, guys like you are typical. Here spewing text book stuff to make yourself feel like more than you really are.
And check my own posts? nyford, try reading before you make a statement. Actually both of you are grammatical nightmares for a teacher. (at least is NOT hyphenated dork, and learn yourself some spelling is wrong in so many ways)
Whatever morons. Put up your final reply so it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy that you got the last word in, your ego depends on it. I'm done with you dip****s blowing a simple statement into something bigger that you have yet to even show in any way how I was supposedly wrong. Get a life.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 AM

Poned

Dude - IQ ? I would say -You have been compromized. Give yourself a few pats ~ I don't care where.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I originally posted this in the 97 - 03 forum. It is probably better off here.
My problem is a hard starting F150 5.4, 227K miles on it. I took the throttle body off and much like some of the pictures posted it is pretty dirty. I am going to clean it out and was going to change the IAC. So my questions are:

A) 45.00 for an IAC sound right? That's the cheapest I have found and that is at Autozone. Other places are higher.

B) On the passenger side of the intake there is a 3 way hose connection. The center hose looks like it has been sucked flat, it is kind of short and flexible and connects to a rigid tube, is this normal (being flat)? If not is there a particular type of hose I need to replace it with?

C) Thanks for the help.
Craig

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Throttle Body