Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.

TI've looked, and didn't see and exact how to with pics for this, so here it is.

First off, no matter what the ford dealer has told you, the odomiter lamp and all other backlights (warning lamps are led from the factory) are replaceable. They are #37 or #74 bulbs. Either work and I've heard #74 are brighter. You can also replace with LEDs. I'd recommend something at least 10+ lumen with 3smd LEDs per lamp.

Tools:
9/32nd socket
T-15
Key
Butter knife (only if removing needles).

Step 1.
Locate both screws at bottom of dash. Use your 9/32nd and remove them.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-fufh6sf.jpg

Step 2.
Remove both clips from the top of the same panel. Pull out, toward yourself.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-phkokps.jpg

Step 3.
Locate the two screws for the panel directly above the one you just removed. Remove both.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-s6kovop.jpg

You may notice this harness behind your dash that's not connected to anything. If so, you do not have power adjustable pedals. If you do, you'll need to unclip that harness.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-g2lyy12.jpg

Step 4.
Gently pry upward to remove top panel. Start on the side next to the radio, and pull out and up. You'll feel the clips start to unhook.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-opcmyhs.jpg

Start doing the same thing on the other side until the panel pops off.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-y2rqave.jpg

Step 5.
Locate the 4 screws (again 9/32nd) holding the cluster in place and remove.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-by9movm.jpg

Step 6.
Use a key or small screwdriver, and press the pins to unlock the gray clips for the cluster harnesses. Then you will slide the gray lock to the left for the left side harness and to the right for the right side harness.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-2xmdadu.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-y6uuuwz.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-vb19ymv.jpg

My truck is manual, if yours is auto, you will also need to remove the shift indicator, or you can keep it connected and replace the bulbs where it is, however, you will have less room to work.

Cluster removed
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-pohancd.jpg

Step 7.
Remove all 7 T-15 screws to remove clear plastic access cover.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-mygqb1l.jpg

Now locate the bulb(s) you want to replace. The black and gray "buttons" are the bulb sockets. They twist counter clockwise to remove. You may need pliers to make removal easier.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-pzlr8ri.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-apjwsqe.jpg

If you want to remove the needles to access the inside of the panel for any reason, here's how. However, I wouldn't recommend doing this because all of your needles will be off and in the wrong position. It took me many tries plugging them in, taking them off and so forth to get them back to their original possition. So, do not do this unless you have to or want to remove the green film to change colors.

There are 2 clips on top, and 4 on the bottom of the cluster. Lightly pull up and they'll pop out.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-ao0auky.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-0hniydk.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-3n9vodi.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-a65hzfo.jpg

Use a butter knife to pry the needs up. Be very gentle as the needles can easily break.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-0ta3ggk.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-69vmtdd.jpg

With 6000k white LEDs in all bulb sockets
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-qozxoiz.jpg
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-nhexitd.jpg

Reassembly is the exact reverse. Very straight forward. Here's it all back together.
How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.-uvuotgn.jpg

Estimated time: 30 min.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 04-09-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Very nice write up. I'll copy it to the Aritcles and How To section. Thanks for contributing to the site.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:03 PM

Thanks!

Last edited by 2008_XL; 04-09-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 PM
sweet...

so the green film and blue led bulbs would create a cyan color?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by fords-rock
sweet...

so the green film and blue led bulbs would create a cyan color?
You'd get blue on the white parts and probably an auqua on the green area. The needles would probably be purple and not show up too well, though.

You can peel away the green film, and maybe you could find some white or clear needles? I will say, taking off the needles and getting them back to where they're supposed to be kind of sucks! I know all too well, haha

Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 PM
thanks for the reply.

just went out and took pics. my cluster is a little different colored. it's lighter green i believe. i think blue would show up fairly well, but i could be wrong...

think i might give this a try.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 PM

thanks for the reply.

just went out and took pics. my cluster is a little different colored. it's lighter green i believe. i think blue would show up fairly well, but i could be wrong...

think i might give this a try.

Yours is lighter green because your stock incandescent bulbs give off a yellowish hue. Mine looks darker green because I have 6000k LEDs making the film more of a true green. The green film in mine is the same color film that you have.

But I'd love to see something blue workout for you because that would go really well with the interior of your truck, and look awesome too. My only worry are the red needles not showing up.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 01-18-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Yours is lighter green because your stock incandescent bulbs give off a yellowish hue. Mine looks darker green because I have 6000k LEDs making the film more of a true green. The green film in mine is the same color film that you have.
oh ok, thanks for that info...

may give it a try, won't cost anything and very little time involved as well... not gonna mess with the film or needles, but think i can get a more blueish hue from it...

thanks for the thread man. i will post a finished pic of mine when i convert....

Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 PM

oh ok, thanks for that info...

may give it a try, won't cost anything and very little time involved as well... not gonna mess with the film or needles, but think i can get a more blueish hue from it...

thanks for the thread man. i will post a finished pic of mine when i convert....
You're welcome. Please post your results. As I edited in to my previous post, the blue would look great in your truck and go amazingly well with what you've done recently.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 PM
You're welcome. Please post your results. As I edited in to my previous post, the blue would look great in your truck and go amazingly well with what you've done recently.

thanks man, appreciate the kind comments about my truck. i will update this thread for sure.

on the subject of the needles, i am hoping they are purple and do show up

Old 01-18-2016, 09:33 PM

thanks man, appreciate the kind comments about my truck. i will update this thread for sure.

on the subject of the needles, i am hoping they are purple and do show up
Of course. You've done great work.

Just make sure when you get the LEDs that you get REALLY bright ones. Since they're blue and have to show through different shaded colors with the green film and the red needles, which reduce their intensity, that'll take a lot of light away.

5730 and 5630 are known to be bright led chips. Try to find LEDs that have 3-4 chips each. #74 I believe, are the correct part number.

I'd install 6000k LEDs for your directionals, unless you want those blue as well.

By all means, please post your results. I think a blue instrument cluster would look way better than the green. If yours comes out cool, I'll be replacing my white LEDs with blue ones as well!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 PM
will do, thanks for the info and help...

Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 PM

will do, thanks for the info and help...
Anytime! Looking forward to your results!

Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 PM
Anytime! Looking forward to your results!

just ordered a dozen 5630 blue leds from superbrightleds...

kinda pricey, but much brighter than most...

Quick Reply: How to: remove and replace Instument cluster lamps with step by step pics.