Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Front brake caliper piston change

Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brake caliper piston change

Hey guys.

The brake pistons on my truck broke, and I could not find any caliper rebuild threads, most seem to just buy new calipers and change them out, but living in Iceland and parts being a bit expensive so I decided to rebuild the calipers and make my own thread .

Well the conditions were not the best....but they donīt call it ICE-land for nothing

Here are the broken pistons. I did not have the tools to pull out the old pistons so I had to use a hammer and chisel and brake the old pistons to pieces.

Just pry out the rubber that holds the piston.

Just remember the thin rubber seal.

Here are the new pistons with the rubber attached.

Using the old pad and brake caliper press or C-clamp to slowly press the new pistons in.

And there you have it...good as new

Then itīs just a matter of putting it back on the truck and bleeding out the brakes.

Hope some one finds this useful.

Last edited by Bluejay; 02-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Very nice write up!

Isn't much to calipers is there? It's funny to think there are more parts on my mountain bike's disc brake calipers... but on a truck that weighs x1000 times more, there's a lot less.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang, is it really that easy? Seems like an hours work! I bought new calipers as I felt the internals were gone causing them to seize. Spent over $300 on new calipers. Don't want to know how much new pistons were for you then! Pretty crazy how delicate the pistons are after a few years of use.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 PM
You can remove the piston just by blowing air where the oil get in
No need to break the piston to piece.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 AM
Great write up! I was just searching the web for this info to make sure it was really that easy. My piston was busted like yours and I found the parts for waaaay cheaper than a new caliper. Now I'm for sure ordering the parts. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:36 AM
great thread. I'm trying to find a rebuild kit now that includes pistons.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
I got my stuff at O'Reilly down the street for $12. Most of it went really well but I had a lot of issues getting the outside dust seal to press all the way in. I cleaned up the caliper as it had rust and such on it. The first issue is that there was a bump in the casting which wouldn't allow the seal to pass over so I had to give it a bump with a dremel tool. Then to press it in the last 2 mm or so I ended up using a cast plumbing cap that I bought at Lowes and the same diameter with the c-clamp and it went right in. So far I'm loving my Powerslot 1 click rear kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brake caliper piston change