Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to mount PIAA 510's in factory fog holes 06-08

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to mount PIAA 510's in factory fog holes 06-08

Edit: this is only for years 06-08
hey guys so last week i mounted some piaa 510 driving lights in my factory fog light holes and this is how i did it..... sorry for the small pics, can edit if needed.

tools needed:
PIAA 510 lights (beam pattern is your choice)
dremel w/ a grinding/cutting wheel
a couple small washers
two 6mm bolts
and if you don't feel like messing with the factory brackets you can get some from here for like 12 bucks a piece. http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.as...M-330-1701R-UD

Unplug the factory fog light bulb from the wire harness, or hid ballast in my situation. then using a wrench unscrew the three, 7mm i believe, bolts that are holding the factory fog light housing on the bumper. do this on both sides and move over to a work bench or table to work on them.

now we need to get the factory fog lights out of the bracket. unscrew the phillips head adjustment screw from the back of the bracket and remove the spring.

now once it's out use something flat like a screwdriver to pry up on the tabs on the side of the fog light bracket. dont worry about breaking or bending them because they have to be ground off anyways. once both tabs are pried up then the factory fog light should fall out.

now that the factory fog light is out, either break the tab off that held the factory fog light in or grind it off with a dremel. also with the dremel grind down the raised plastic on the inside of the bracket that is on both sides of the tab that was grinded off. with every thing done the inside of the fog light bracket should be completely circular now.
this is what both sides of the bracket should now look like

now that the sides will clear you need to drill a hole in the top of the fog light bracket for the big mounting bolt on the piaa's to go through. simply drill a hole in the very top of the bracket, make sure it's centered or the PIAA grille on the lights will be crooked. this picture will give you an idea of where to drill.

alright now place the 510 in the fog light bracket with the bolt through the hole that you drilled. it will be a very tight fit so just push the light into the socket as far and as pointing downward as you can then tighten the mounting bolt on top.

now for aligning the lights. i found that it there simply isn't a way to adjust the lights down quite far enough to be aimed correctly so what i did was this.
side to side adjustment: loosen the main mounting bolts on the 510's and simply use some force to turn the light side to side as needed.
up and down adjustment: now this is the tricky part. since the lights cannot move anymore down then you need to get some slightly longer bolts, from a hardware store because most auto shops will not have any longer ones since they are body bolts, these bolts are 6mm and then place some washers as needed between the bottom hole on the fog light bracket and the bumper to tilt the fog light bracket some and thus lower the beam of light. and don't worry you cannot notice this tilt in the fog light bracket from the other side of the bumper. alright guys well here is the finished product.

Last edited by JackandJanet; 01-21-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Can't wait to do this! Thanks for the write up!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Now you just need 2 or three more on that bar.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by gcart
Now you just need 2 or three more on that bar.
oh i know, i'm going to get an n-fab light bar or one like it and put 4 piaa 525's on it sometime a little later this year.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Nice job. Gonna be a problem on the 04-05's with the rectangle holes in the bumper

Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
Nice job. Gonna be a problem on the 04-05's with the rectangle holes in the bumper
oh, whoops i was just thinkin body styles i forgot the fogs changed

Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice setup.How did you wire them?Can the factory fog light switch and wiring be used with a relay. How does that setup compare to hids in the stock housing? I have 6000k hids in my headlights and curious as to what would be better for the fogs.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by WVMountaineer
Nice setup.How did you wire them?Can the factory fog light switch and wiring be used with a relay. How does that setup compare to hids in the stock housing? I have 6000k hids in my headlights and curious as to what would be better for the fogs.
Thanks in advance.
i just ran the wire harness that came with the lights, taped everything up with electrical tape to make it neater, and ran the piaa switch into the cab and mounted it beside the steering wheel. i thought about using the factory fog light switch for them and it is possible, just cut the plug for the piaa switch off and tap the wires from the fog light plug. the lights right now are pretty white with some slight yellow, but with my 8000k headlights they turn my light output like a bright white so the yellow and blue mellow out to like a white. i think i am going to get some 6000k bulbs for my hids and then get the H3 5000k bulbs for my driving lights so they will match a lot better.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by WVMountaineer
Thanks in advance.
oh yeah and if you get the driving light model like i did then i wouldn't suggest wiring them to the factory fog lights because they blind people. i turned them on for a couple of minutes while driving right after i installed them and got flashed several times.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks a lot for the write up, I have been looking on "how to" even looking for the correct fog lights has been troublesome,

Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM

These still doing well for you? I like the look of them and was going to pit in HIDs into my fogs but they blind people so I think I am going to do these with the Fogs

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I had my installed about a month ago, they look good and work great in back roads, one side is a little hi-er but will change the screws and get it lowered. Need to get some pictures soon.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know what the diameter of the fog light hole on the rounded fog light style bumpers are? Much appreciated

Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by BL4CK3D0UT
Does anyone know what the diameter of the fog light hole on the rounded fog light style bumpers are? Much appreciated
i think it's a little over 4 inches

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM
dilloncawthon -

New member here...I am adding the OEM fog lights to a 2008 XLT, they didnt come with them...Not sure how feasible or easy it would be but can you take a pic or describe to me where the wiring harness connector is located?

I have read some of the posts that they say the wiring harness was wired in the 08 even though you may not have the factory installed fog lights but i am having a little trouble finding them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How to mount PIAA 510's in factory fog holes 06-08