Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to add factory fogs to a '99 F-150 XL

Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mccoycmw
Thanks, I don't see any wires near the bumper. I have read that they are sometimes near the headlights or the frame. I will keep looking. My truck is RWD and was made in Canada yah.
You can go to the junk yard and get factory parts or order them out of a truck catalog as a stock replacement part. There's even some good aftermarket setups. What are you looking for exactly?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 PM
I was planning on buying a new valence with the fog cutouts, depo factory style fogs and ford fog switch. This seems to be the easiest way to add fogs without any fabrication. I don't know anything about wiring so I was hoping my truck is pre-wired. The only wiring I have found is for the headlights, horn and air temp sensor.

Last edited by Mccoycmw; 10-26-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mccoycmw
I was planning on buying a new valence with the fog cutouts, depo factory style fogs and ford fog switch. This seems to be the easiest way to add fogs without any fabrication. I don't know anything about wiring so I was hoping my truck is pre-wired. The only wiring I have found is for the headlights, horn and air temp sensor.
Like I said earlier go get parts from a wrecked truck or buy them new from one of the sponsors here. There's so many wiring kit suppliers online. I have my running lights wired where when any position on the light switch turns them on. Just wire a relay where the parking lights trigger the relay. The high current part of the relays are hooked directly to the battery for max power.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:02 PM
looking for wheels like fairlaners 1999

I have a 1998 f-150 XL 4x4 in the same color as yours that I am beginning a full body off restoration with the exception of upholstery. Your rims look really good and I would like to get a set for my truck. Would you be so kind as to tell me the brand, style and where you got them from. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsem
I have a 1998 f-150 XL 4x4 in the same color as yours that I am beginning a full body off restoration with the exception of upholstery. Your rims look really good and I would like to get a set for my truck. Would you be so kind as to tell me the brand, style and where you got them from. Thanks in advance.

Just saw this ...

The wheels are off a Ford Expedition. I painted the edges of the openings which really changed the look of them. Quality factory wheels that are very inexpensive ...

Masking ...

Finished product ...

Expy Wheels

Expy Wheels

Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 PM
2003 xlt

Digging up this old thread. Could this mod be applied to the 2003 headlight switch connectors by just following the colors in the instructions given in this thread? I've tried looking up to see if the pinout/colors match between the C244/C245/C246 connectors of the 1999 style switch from your write up...

Connector C246
2 - LB/BK Radio Illumination
3 - YE Fog Lamp Switch
4 - BK Ground
5 - LB/RD Switch Illumination Circuit
6 - RD/YE Headlamps Output
7 - DB/OG Power (Hot at all times)

Connector C245
9 - Not Used
10 - WH/RD Lamps ON Output to GEM
11 - DB/WH Power (Hot in park or head)
12 - OG/LG Interior Lamp Switch
13 - TN/WH Power (Hot at all times)
14 - BH Exterior Lamps Output

Connector C244
15 - WH/BK Fog Lamps ON Indicator
WH/BK Auto Lamps

16 - DB/OG Exit Delay Output
17 - VT/OG Autolamps ON Output
18 - LG/YE Autolamps ON Indicator

...and from the pinout for the C205a/C205b. But the description for the wires has some ambiguity.

Here are the connectors on my truck currently.

Also, I went to a junk yard and tore through the wiring to try to understand the fog lights. From the fog relay C1007 in the fuse box under the hood, the yellow wire runs to the bulkhead connection C140 and then goes into 2 green wires on the cab side, and I couldn't follow it from there because wiring goes into a huge bundle behind the dash/instruments. I know wiring diagrams exist but they are confusing and I'm not sure if it's always the exact diagram I need. Does anyone know what the 2 green wires pictured here go to?

Old 06-25-2023, 09:06 PM
Help

Originally Posted by fairlaner
Wiring the Relay:

Mount a 12V, 30A automotive Bosch-type relay to the inner fender near the under-hood fusebox.

Get power to the relay by running a 14 ga wire from the power input terminal on the end of the under-hood fusebox (remove the fusebox cover to expose the terminal), to pin 30 on the relay. Put a fuse holder w/ 15A fuse on this wire, as close to the fusebox terminal as practical.

Connect the wire you spliced to the white w/ black stripe wire at the switch to pin 86 on the relay.

Connect the wire you spliced to the yellow wire at the switch to pin 85 on the relay.

Because I also have Reverse and Grill lights, I added a small fuse box and a relay bank (I still need to add the relay for the grill lights). Power runs from the under-hood fuse box to the small fuse box, and from there to the relays.

Wiring the Lights:

Run a 14 Ga wire from pin 87 on the relay to the fog lights, and run a 14 Ga wire from the foglights to ground.

I made up a quick harness for powering/grounding the lights as follows:

I ran the power wire from the relay, following the factory light harness, to near the back of the left headlight. At this location, I spliced a wire (14 Ga) onto it to drop down to the left fog light. I then continued following the factory light harness across the upper radiator support to near the back of the right headlight, where I dropped it down to the right fog light.

A second wire (for ground) was run from the left fog light, following the power wire, over to the right fog light. Near the back of the right headlight, I spliced a wire onto the ground wire and ran it to a green ground screw located behind the right headlight (remove the right headlight to access this ground screw).

Splice on a H10 connector to the power and ground wires at each fog light.

Put all the wires in some sort of loom, and zip tie them securely to existing looms, etc.

I added wires for my grill lights into the same harness, as well as connecting the grill light grounds to the ground wire for the fog lights.

Fog Lights

Installing the Fog Lights:

Remove the 12 8mm bolts holding the valance to the bottom of the bumper and remove the valance. You'll also have to remove 3 Cristmas tree plugs holding the rubber air deflector to the valance in order to remove the valance.

Attach the U-nuts (3 for each light) to the holes on the bottom of the bumper. Bolt the fog light bracket (w/ fog light) to the bumper, snugging up the bolts but leaving them loose enough to adjust the bracket on the bumper.

On my 4X4, I used 6 of the bolts/U-nuts from my original valance which held on the lower part of the 4X4 two-part valance, to mount the fog lights. On a 4x2, steal 6 of the U-nuts from your original valance, and get 6 bolts from the hardware store (M6, I think) to mount the fog lights.

Mount your new fog valance, using the 12 bolts from your original valance. Don't forget the 3 Christmas tree plugs to mount the rubber air deflector to the valance.

Adjust the fog light bracket, so the fog light properly fills the hole in the valance. Tighten the 6 fog light bracket bolts.

Plug the fog light connectors into the back of the fog lights.

Fog Light Debris Shield:

I didn't like how exposed the back of the fog lights were to debris thrown up by the front tires, so I fabricated some shields to cover the back of the fog lights.

I used some cardboard to come up w/ the shape I wanted. I then cut the shape from a piece of aluminium highway sign panel, and bent them in a vise. The mounting holes in the fog light brackets were threaded to make installation/removal easy (the shields must be removed to change the fog light bulbs). A quick coat of flat black paint helps them hide in the wheel well.

Finished Product ...

Have a beer and enjoy your new factory-looking fog light installation (not at the same time, please)
I have ‘99 XLT short cab flare side 5.4 2wd. It has the wiring for the lights factory installed. The fuses and relays are in place. Bought. The “fog” switch.
nothing happens. Yes. The lights are on dim. Lol. What am I missing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to add factory fogs to a '99 F-150 XL