Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How To: Replace steering wheel '97-'03 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get the MARPAT seat covers, or where did you get them refinished? been thinking about doing mine in ACU/Multicam. my steering wheels is wrapped in ACU paracord, looks great with a silver truck

Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTruckGuy
Nice write up. Gives me questions about an idea.

What does everyone think of a NBS Steering wheel swap???
Ew. Won't match and they look ugly as heck

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Ew. Won't match and they look ugly as heck
i think a black one would match. and i kind of like the look of them better than ours.

this would look sexy in my truck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...item2c5886db99

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mxr181
nice write up! I want a new steering wheel and the matching airbag with the blue ford logo instead of the plain grey one I have!
I want the blue logo also, but I think I read somewhere they're a different air bag and are not interchangeable (different plugs)

Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Looks good Keith. How exactly does that puller thing work? Ive never used one before.

I really need a set of those seat covers....still love 'em every time I see 'em.
Hey Travis, the end of the threaded part on the puller pushes against the steering column shaft, while the two arms pull up on the steering wheel. This is a really cheap puller, but it got the job done ...

Thanks for the compliment on the seat covers. They're holding up well ... definitely a labor of love.

Originally Posted by Bansheeman6100
where did you get the MARPAT seat covers, or where did you get them refinished? been thinking about doing mine in ACU/Multicam. my steering wheels is wrapped in ACU paracord, looks great with a silver truck
I made the seatcovers (MARPAT Camo seat covers) ... one of my first sewing project, but they came out pretty nice. In one of the pics in the seat cover link, you can see a Paracord Turks head wrapped around a grab handle ... paracord is fun stuff to play with

Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by fairlaner
I want the blue logo also, but I think I read somewhere they're a different air bag and are not interchangeable (different plugs)

Hey Travis, the end of the threaded part on the puller pushes against the steering column shaft, while the two arms pull up on the steering wheel. This is a really cheap puller, but it got the job done ...

Thanks for the compliment on the seat covers. They're holding up well ... definitely a labor of love.

I made the seatcovers (MARPAT Camo seat covers) ... one of my first sewing project, but they came out pretty nice. In one of the pics in the seat cover link, you can see a Paracord Turks head wrapped around a grab handle ... paracord is fun stuff to play with
thanks! i'd love to try to make some in ACU for my truck (im Army branch and ACU looks good on a silver truck with grey interior anyways), but it may be a bit over my head. ive never done any sewing at all. and i love the turks head knot, never tried it. i need to do my grab handles so i may attempt it

Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I like your seat covers. I'm trying to get multiple companies to do a custom upholstery job in mulitcam for my truck but it's not going as planned. Every company is too proud of their own junk. Love the MARPAT though!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice Job - thanks for the write up and pics. My wheel is really worn and needs to be replaced, so this might give me the inspiration to give it a go.

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 AM
NICE WRITE UP!! that sux that the blue oval steering wheel wont work but couldn't you just use the cover to swap them out?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
nice write up keith, ive taken all the pics on this but never got around to putting it on here.

also if you dont have a puller you can just yank on the steering wheel a couple times and it will come off. Its not pressed on there so it doesnt take a whole lot to get it to come off

Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 AM
the blue oval air bags are plug and play as well...I put one in my truck and it was not any different

Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by mxr181
the blue oval air bags are plug and play as well...I put one in my truck and it was not any different
Thanks for the info ...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Good writeup and love your floormats!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you get the OEM leather wheel? Is it the Lariat version? I've checked a few places online, Lariat wheels are running $270-400......

Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by costellokg
Where did you get the OEM leather wheel? Is it the Lariat version? I've checked a few places online, Lariat wheels are running $270-400......
I got the wheel on ebay ... the seller claimed it was a take-off from a new truck. Whether this is true or it's a re-wrapped wheel, it's a nice wheel that looks new. The frame is a Ford part, and at this time I have no reason to doubt the seller's claim. I paid $150 shipped ...

Thanks Alex_4.2L, The floor mats are Genuine Ford Accessory mats, all vinyl, Med Prairie Tan. They're pretty rasonably priced on ebay ...

Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 AM

Gonna bump this one up again.

This is gonna come in very handy tomorrow when I have to remove my wheel to swap the dash in my truck. Thanks again for the good pics.

Quick Reply: How To: Replace steering wheel '97-'03 F-150