Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

"HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150

Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kENWOOD 9960 in my 2001

Over the weekend I installed a kenwood 9960 it worked out great. The problem is all the wires you end up with to get them back so they don't get in your way of the HU as you slide it in. I used the metra kit and the harness I had to trim the outside ford trim. So it would go against the the custom bezel I made that came with the unit for another car all told with the camera install it took me 8 hours I took my time went nice and slow that is without making the Harness the night before soldering and shrink tubing. I finished it tonight can't get the camera to work I think to jack came out of the back of the HU as I was sliding it in plus need to locate the reverse wire (color) in the door sill and make the connection. The kenwood unit is something else still reading the book it's amazing. Good luck to all who take on this project you will be very happy when it's completed. Happy hoildays to all this was my X-mas present Dan

Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice how to, do you happen to know what the b/u camera input lead looks like? I have a camera that works 900mhz wireless and can also be plugged in - it came with a 2" monitor though ~$50 bucks.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I know I'm a GIRL and you prolly don't want to take my advice butI have a flip up in mine and do all my own work take a look at my truck..... You need to ground your wire out instead of hooking it to your parking brake as your "directions" tell you to do ...TRUST ME lol ground out that parking brake wire and booomm it's supposed to be installed to a praking brake bc of the laws that state they cnt be playing while driving tell me if it works!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by BigBlue37
Great Job! I always admire people who "take the time" to do a step by step, with great instructions and pics.
+1 but i wish some of the pics were taken with "macro" setting. My old eyes and the bluriness gives me a headache. Haaaaa. It's write up's like this that make me think a dummy like me can even do it.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Here's an additional write-up I did a while back that also has pics, and may be useful for anyone else venturing down this path and finding this thread in a search.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/he...ion-guide.html

Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Can I ask where you got the Pioneer HU for $225 shipped? Thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by F150_Envy
Can I ask where you got the Pioneer HU for $225 shipped? Thanks
Got it on Amazon from the seller "6th Ave". I checked a couple days after I posted it and did not see it for what I got it for anymore. Just keep checking. Sonicelectronix has them for $250 shipped I believe and they included the bezel and wiring harness. Hope this helps---------DirtySCREW

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Dirty great write-up, you do got lots o cable there tho
The install looks great.

Originally Posted by fordgirl23
I know I'm a GIRL and you prolly don't want to take my advice butI have a flip up in mine and do all my own work take a look at my truck..... You need to ground your wire out instead of hooking it to your parking brake as your "directions" tell you to do ...TRUST ME lol ground out that parking brake wire and booomm it's supposed to be installed to a praking brake bc of the laws that state they cnt be playing while driving tell me if it works!
That works for some units, the newer Pioneer radios are a little "smarter" they have to see a ground each time the radio is powered up, not just a continuous ground all the time, therefor their parking wire cannot be grounded all the time.

Originally Posted by the4by4freek
Great write up! Nice job on the 1.5 to the double din. If you read the screen where the OK button is, you will see what i was saying about the pulse on the parking brake. I went back to mine and tried the relay again..... same message "it is unlawful to observe movies while vehicle is in motion". I also then tried moving the ground from the head unit to the body. Still the same. My relay clicked once, I had continuity on the terminals and the parking brake wire was grounded. I still had the same message.
The relay is suppose to take over the switch, so that it does it automatically every time the unit is turned on without any switches. I am guessing your relay has continuous power therefor making the unit think your parking brake wire is grounded at all times. How did you wire the relay? In your case the relay is useless, since your still using the switch to manually have the unit not see ground then see ground again.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the write-up

My wife just ordered me one of these for Christmas.
Now I'll have something cooler than my stock unit.

I got a question, though.
My truck's got a 6-disc changer, in the center console.
Will I be able to just unplug it from the stocker, and plug it
straight in to the Pioneer?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 AM

No, unfortunately your old six cd changer will be defunct. You could get a pioneer cd changer and drop it in place of the stocker if you really want one but i dont think they have made any in a while, you would have to make sure its compatible to your newer unit.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by rocsorcs
My wife just ordered me one of these for Christmas.
Now I'll have something cooler than my stock unit.

I got a question, though.
My truck's got a 6-disc changer, in the center console.
Will I be able to just unplug it from the stocker, and plug it
straight in to the Pioneer?
You may check with some where like Crutchfield. At one time they were offering adapters to allow aftermarket head units to work with factory CD changers.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Glen R
You may check with some where like Crutchfield. At one time they were offering adapters to allow aftermarket head units to work with factory CD changers.
Yup. Crutchfield instantly came to mind as I was reading the posts. I have ordered from them several times. If you buy a HU, they send everything you need.... wiring harness, install kit and diagrams. Great Customer Service They can answer your need for a Changer Adapter

Old 12-25-2010, 12:20 PM
i got the same HU that im putting in a 98' f150

Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Well...

I guess since the unit's got a spot for a usb & a sd card, I don't really need a cd changer. I can just download all my cd's, and plug 'em in! :o

Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by rocsorcs
Well...

I guess since the unit's got a spot for a usb & a sd card, I don't really need a cd changer. I can just download all my cd's, and plug 'em in! :o
YEP, or either burn a DVD-r/+r and have 4.7GB of music on a disc!! Or you could use a small USB drive. I like the fact that the SD slot is flush, looks cleaner. I love this deck!-------------DirtySCREW

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150