Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up BRA-KRPTS MOD reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Well after long debates and gripes of Ford not making the reflectors on our mirrors functional turn signals. I decided to make mine do just that. It was fairly easy and only cost about $20 for the strip of white led's from AutoZone and about 1 1/2 hours to do. You could probably do it faster since I had to figure out how to make it work first. The led's I bought are 2 12" strips of weather proof flexible strips. They can be cut to size, they are clearly marked where to cut them. After you cut them you just strip off some of the silicone over the solder spots and solder your wires on and seal it back up. I used heat shrink tubing in multiple layers.

Here is how I did it.

My pics on from the right side, but the left side works the same with 3 exceptions that I will point out in those steps.

First take your mirror and push the bottom of it down all the way so the top has as much opening as possible. With a long flat blade screwdriver locate the clip section with the tab in it. Put the screwdriver in between the tab and the mirror and twist until they begin to separate. Continue this while working your way around the mirror.
NOTE: On the left side you will need to get to the tab from the bottom.

Once the mirror is free unplug the heated wires if you have them. Then remove the 4 T15 torx screws.
NOTE: On the left side I did not remove the heated wires because the connector looked to fragile and I didn't want to break it.

Be sure to mark your neg side so you will connect the back correctly.

Now fold the mirror in so that you can remove the front half. Start at the door side of the mirror and pry up as shown in the pic. Once you have this part up the rest should pop right off.

If you have PTM caps like I do you will want to remove them so you don't scratch them. Just release the tabs as shown and the cap pops right out.

Now you can pry the reflector out of the housing. Use flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the tab on the outside curved part of the reflector.
NOTE: The left mirror reflector tab on the door side is a fork shape instead of one solid tab.

I then took the strip of led's and use it as a template to cut out the plastic with my Dremel with a cut-off wheel on it. Be sure not to run it to fast and don't go to deep. Go just deep enough to cut through the white plastic.

On the inside part of where the reflector tab go into the mirror housing I trimmed away some of the plastic in order to get my wires and heat shrink end to fit through.

I then unplugged the connector for the turn signal on the mirror side and tapped into it to connect the new led's.

I then just put everything back together in reverse order. The trick to getting the mirror back on is to apply a fairly good amount of pressure to the middle of the mirror to make sure it snaps in place all the way around.

Here is the finished product.

I also decided I wanted some turn signals down in between the bumper and headlights so I did this.

Hope you like it.

Last edited by tbraquet; 04-23-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
really nice job man, i know a few on this forum have been looking for it...looks like this thread will be the answer, you should apply for a job with ford engineering (doubt it'll pay much with this economy though) got the "how to" on the bumper mod??? that looks clean!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
looks sick!! post up a video!!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
man o man, its finally here, found me a weekend project! i only have one question and thats where did u buy the l.e.d strip at.. what are the specs on it? Very nice write up, if we all lived up to this can of how-to, we'd all be some pretty tricked out trucks.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Great Job and outstanding write up. This needs to be a sticky.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
the amber strip in the bumper would be a nice way to be legal with running a clear bulb in the turn signal in the headlight housing.

Also you don't need to mark the heater wires since the heater element is basically a controlled short circuit so it doesnt matter which end is + or -

Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
i think he just posted this thread to leave us hangin' til tomorrow on purpose

Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM

Here is a video. Also I got the white led's from AutoZone. The yellow led's came from Superbrightleds.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7f5UCENmM

Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
thats insane you can hear the clicker from outside the truck!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
thats insane you can hear the clicker from outside the truck!
I didn't have the truck running, I just had the hazards on.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Thanks for all the cudo's. I really am happy with the end results. Now I just need to figure out what next to do on a beer pocket budget.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Thanks for all the cudo's. I really am happy with the end results. Now I just need to figure out what next to do on a beer pocket budget.
nice i like the leds in the bumper thats cool, since u like the amber lights u should think about a set of the recon amber side lights just a suggestion, nice truck

Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
so how's bout the "how to" on the bumper lights??? the turn sigs on the mirror are already out of the question for mirrors on my ride (but im okay with that, i think it is a cleaner look on my truck)....

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by wisconsinFX4
so how's bout the "how to" on the bumper lights??? the turn sigs on the mirror are already out of the question for mirrors on my ride (but im okay with that, i think it is a cleaner look on my truck)....
I'll get you a "how to" on the bumper lights in the next couple of days. It was easy. Be looking for it.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
sounds good to me, look forward to it!!!

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics