Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

1997-2003 Aftermarket Headlight Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb 1997-2003 Aftermarket Headlight Options

Alright. I've seen three of these threads in the past week of people basically asking for what kind of headlights to get for the 10th gens. So I'm going to list every possible headlight/corner/foglight we can find so its easy to search and decide.

Most of these are available off eBay. I'm not going to track down the link, nor tell you which seller has the best prices. That's up to you. I'm posting this mainly to help you decide which style is the best for you. The first section will focus on headlights themselves, and the second section will look at turn signals, and lastly, fog lights.

All information compiled by myself. Pictures are copied from their respective owners. All right reserved, yadda yadda yadda, just go look at the pictures.

Single-Piece Units

This section is for all single (one [1]) piece headlights. Meaning that the corner light and headlight are one complete unit. Keep in mind these units will NOT have OEM fitment. Owners of said lights report instances of excessive bulging from the grille/bumper area and misaligned fitment.

These are the most common. Available in chrome or black. They use a combination H3 bulb for the projector and a H1 for the reflector. Standard 3157 filament turn signal. Along with the 6x 5mm LEDs along the bottom, they also have CFL halo rings around both lamps. Output reported from these lights aren't fantastic. You have to manually splice and join wires based on what you want the LEDs and CFLs to do. Again, bad fitment reported from owners with these. Meets DOT specs for amber reflector. Here they are in black:

Up next is the newest one-piece I've seen floating around lately. It's loosely based on the LED design you see running around on Audis and the sort. They have the same specs as the lights above, just a different layout. Pictured in black but I've seen them in chrome as well. Meets DOT specs for amber reflector.

This next one is not so popular, but still an option. It has a single reflector unit utilizing the stock 9007 bulb and standard 3157 turn signal. This would be a true PnP unit that you could replace relatively quickly. It also has a little LED unit on the bottom, but again, you have to manually wire this up to whatever you like (turn signal, running lights, etc). Meets DOT specs for amber reflector.

Two-Piece Units

These are much better fitting lights. They use the natural joints in the truck so they're easier to install (since you don't have the turn signal in the way) and look much better (personal opinion).

Stock. Oh how everyone loves these. Standard 9007 bulb. No glare shield/cap, but a fluted lens. You can get OEM replacements for real cheap if you aren't for the looks of aftermarket units. Fitting is going to be just about perfect.

These next ones are based off the stock unit. Obviously they got rid of the fluted lens for a diffused reflector pattern on the back. Clear lens, with a bit of "crystal" diffusion to the bottom. You would get a little better output over stock using the same bulb with these. I am unsure how the pattern stacks up, however.

These are kind of like the ones pictured above, but obviously in black.

Here are some with LEDs at the bottom. They are available in black or chrome (pictured). They use the same 9007 we're all accustomed to, but also have 8x 5mm LEDs at the bottom. You will have to manually wire these to whatever you like.

The ones pictured above and below seem to be the most popular aftermarket lights for these trucks. They are replicas of the Ford Lightning headlamps. They come in both chrome (above) and black (below). Standard 9007 bulb, with a glare cap. Great output, great fitment, and great looks. You can't go wrong with these. Most commonly paired with the Lightning style turn signals. You can also find units with smoked lenses (diminished output). These are great for retrofitting projectors.

These are also really cool too. They are loosely based on the Lightning-series light, but with the added projector. The reflector is a standard 9007 bulb, and the projector is a 9005 high-beam only. From what I've seen, this has AWESOME high beam output (low beam is the same). The only downside is that a slight trimming of your header panel is required to get the projector to fit. Most sellers include a PnP wiring harness to use both lights. Available in chrome (pictured) or black.

These next ones are also flying off the shelf. They are reproductions of the 2002-2003 F-150 Harley-Davidson model. They are standard 9007s, and the bottom has an amber reflector. These look great with the Lightning-style turn signal. Only available in chrome (so far).

I've seen these around too. They are basically a two-piece unit of the one-piece projectors above. H1/H3 bulbs and I believe two LEDs on the bottom. They are available in chrome (above) or black (below). There are many styles of turn signals available for these.

-----SPACE RESERVED FOR MORE LIGHTS----

That's all I have at the moment. If you guys have any aftermarket units you think should be included, PM me and I'll add them

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Turn Signals

There are plenty of options here, for every taste and style. All units use the stock 3157 incandescent bulb unless otherwise noted.

Stock, who doesnt like stock? Easy to find, REALLY cheap, and available everywhere. Basic fit and finish, whether you knock it out while off-roading, have a kid running around with a hammer, or some stupid tree decides to pop out of friggin nowhere.

Here is the most popular option. Lightning style. It comes in either chrome or black, and if you look hard enough, you can get either color with an amber reflector strip or a white (clear) reflector strip. These match perfectly with Lightning style or Harley-Davidson headlights. Only the amber reflector models meet DOT specs. Check your local laws before using.

Here are a few styles of chrome units with no amber reflectors. Be advised that non-amber reflectors do NOT meet DOT specs. Check your state laws for use of these models.

And some with reflectors. These meet DOT specs.

Lastly, are these cool LED models. These do not have and reflectors whatsoever. Again, they do NOT meet DOT specs. Check your local laws for legality of these units. They feature 4x white LED DRLs (come on with parking lights) and 14x amber LEDs that only come on with your turn signal. These units are completely PnP, using your pre-existing 3157 socket. You can find these models in chrome or black.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Fog Lamps

There aren't many options for fog lamps. There are three options for each. The 1997-1998 trucks use a 9006 bulb (unless otherwise noted) and different bumper so they are by themselves. The 1999-2003 crowd has an uprated front end and uses the 9145 bulb (unless otherwise noted).

1997-1998

These stock units are great replacements if you go off-roading a lot and just happen to crack one or something. Relatively cheap to replace and feature the standard fluted lens that our trucks are know for.

Next is the upgrade- clear lens. Depot makes some great aftermarket models that are true to OEM fit and finish. A clear lens certainly cleans up the look a bit. Uses stock 9006 bulb.

Last for the early 10th gens is the projector model. It uses a H3 bulb and also has a CCFL halo unit around the outside bezel. I'm unsure how the fitment or the output is, I've never seen a unit installed before.

1999-2003

Here is for the majority of guys around here.

These are the stock units. Cheap, easy to replace. 9145 bulb. Perfect for you guys who break stuff off-roading or kids running around with hammers

These are really popular it seems. Clear lens version made by Depo. They look great, fit good, and have decent light output.

Another projector for you 99-03 guys. Again, CCFL halo ring, a little mesh. I'm unsure how it fits or the output is. H3 halogen.

This is for you 2002-2003 Harley Davidson or STX guys. IIRC they come stock with H1 lamps. If you ever break one or want more light, you can upgrade to these. They are based off the 2002-2003 Ford Mustang Cobra and feature a 9145 bulb, but easily upgradeable to a 65W 9005. Quartz-glass lens and chromium alloy reflector bowl. GREAT unit, GREAT fitment, GREAT output!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up man! Hopefully this will help some people in the future. I noticed the same thing as you about a whole bunch of threads popping up like this.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM
This thread would have saved so much time... 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Is this "sticky" worthy?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 AM
I think so, either in this section or the 97-03 section ha.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM

I thought they didn't make reproduction harley heads?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM
They have them on ebay now.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM

I found the other thread a little after I posted that where someone found them haha.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up, depo L style projectors ftw.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM

I wasn't sure if it was sticky material or not since it pertains to a specific group of trucks. I PM'ed Jim to move it to the How-To section at least.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Would it be appropriate to add a list of tail lights and third brake lights as well?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Would it be appropriate to add a list of tail lights and third brake lights as well?
I think that would probably be a good idea.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by AndersonS
Originally Posted by fishsniper
I think that would probably be a good idea.
Yessir masta, Imma get right on that'a masta

Quick Reply: 1997-2003 Aftermarket Headlight Options