Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to Fix a Defective Window Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the first ford truck I have owned, 2006 F150, and they can't even put in quality window switches. I can see 10 yrs. down the road maybe having problems but after a year or two, come on!! I have owned several cars and trucks and have never had problems with window switches before. I'm waiting to see what else goes wrong when they can't even get window switches to work right. I like the truck for the most part but in a couple of years I may be going back to Chevy. A coworker of mine bought a brand new F150 back in 2009 and after several times to the dealer due to various issues got rid of it and bought a Tundra.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Man this thread rocks , I just knew that I was fixin to spend some coins on a switch. Of course my symtoms varied some I couldn't get it to fail in the down postion for me, only happened to the pretty one of my group and she thought I didn't believe her. I got stuck last week in a pretty heavy thunder shower need less to say finally got it back up in the drive way after the rain stopped. She's fixed now. Thanks again

Old 09-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Glad I saw this. You may have jus saved me money I don't have. My windows have both done this before. My passenger one won't go up now and I've already bought one switch. Thanks. I'll see if this works.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM
mblouir, thanks for this write-up. I had been having problems with mine for months and kept putting it off until today when it wouldn't roll up at all. Took all of 10 minutes to complete and 3-4 of that was finding sand paper. Thanks again!!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks man. I'd have never thought of that. I just fixed my passenger side switch in about 10 minutes. Works great now

Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks so much for posting this tutorial. I was having the same problem with drivers side window. Would go down but not up. If I opened and closed door then it would go up. So I figured it wasn't the switch itself was bad. Got to searching on the forum and found your tutorial. Just finished fixing mine and it works like a charm now. I love this forum - I have learned so much great information here.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So glad to hear it.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the post mblouir, my 06 XLT has been doing this for months on the drivers window. Will go down but heck of a time going up.
Will have to find some time to do this too along with everything else..

Last edited by Woodiedl; 09-23-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Woodiedl
Thanks for the post mblouir, my 06 XLT has been doing this for months on the drivers window. Will go down but heck of a time going up.
Will have to find some time to do this too along with everything else..
First time you do it I'd say it won't take more than an hour. Most difficult part is prying the box halves apart. Most time-consuming part is taking out the little switches and cleaning the contacts. Everything else is a breeze.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by mblouir
First time you do it I'd say it won't take more than an hour. Most difficult part is prying the box halves apart. Most time-consuming part is taking out the little switches and cleaning the contacts. Everything else is a breeze.
Thanks,
Amazing what can be done in a short amount of time.

Cheers

Edit: All fixed.. only took about 30 minutes to take it out, take apart, fix and put back together..
Thanks again

Last edited by Woodiedl; 09-25-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM
very nice but ?

So damn i am glad i found this thread. Not being able to roll up my drivers side window almost made me sign up for some anger management classes but i took it all apart and that was for sure the main problem. the question i have has to do with the drivers window switch(the only black one all the others are white) it has 3 prongs coming out of the bottom (instead of the whites two) and the left prong looks melted. I believe this was my main problem of why my window wouldnt roll up so i switched the left one with the middle prong and now it works fine. the only difference is that the window always automatically rolls down but thats not a big deal. Have ya'll heard about this problem of it being melted, i have no idea how that could even happen and does anyone know if i can buy another prong?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by DAMOOSE512
So damn i am glad i found this thread. Not being able to roll up my drivers side window almost made me sign up for some anger management classes but i took it all apart and that was for sure the main problem. the question i have has to do with the drivers window switch(the only black one all the others are white) it has 3 prongs coming out of the bottom (instead of the whites two) and the left prong looks melted. I believe this was my main problem of why my window wouldnt roll up so i switched the left one with the middle prong and now it works fine. the only difference is that the window always automatically rolls down but thats not a big deal. Have ya'll heard about this problem of it being melted, i have no idea how that could even happen and does anyone know if i can buy another prong?

Hey Damoose,

Didn't have that happen to mine. just carboned up some..
The three prongs are one for up, one for down and one for auto down.. But I figure you knew that..
If you have one of them that melted you may want to invest in amother switch (just MO).
Sounds like you may have a bigger issue then carboned prongs. If you look back in the thread there are people who posted prices, that should give you a good idea of what you'll have to spend to replace. If you don't want to go new try the wreckers, I'm sure they would sell you one for about half of what a new one costs. Plus you now know how to fix the sticky window problem so you may have to do that with a used unit..

Hope you get it fixed up.. Good luck

Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I've been having an issue with my drivers side switch for a while now... thanks to this write-up everything is back to normal.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

So my switch has recently been acting up again, went to fix it and rushed like crazy and it was dark out. Well didnt manage to fix my problem, and my windows were locked and the lock/unlock thing wasn't working. So I took it apart again today real fast and realized the little plastic nipple on the bottom of the actual switch was smashed way out of whack on one side. So I changed it out with one from a back door window switch and everything works fine now. Well besides my ability to roll down the back right window, which isn't a big concern right now. Just need to go to a pull apart and grab a little plastic thing.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I've had two driver switches go bad within 3 years! Great writeup on how to fix it! Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: How to Fix a Defective Window Switch