The following will be covered:
1. PATS System
2. Purchase a PATS key for "Cheap"
3. Programming a PATS Key
4. Programming a Remote/Fob/Clicker
5. Programming the Door Keypad
6. Using a Fusion Key Instead

1. PATS System
PATS stands for "Passive Anti-Theft Security". It is Fords answer to car theft.

Inside each key, there is a little RFID chip. When properly programmed, your trucks PCM reads and recognizes the RFID inside the key.

Without the proper RFID signal, the ignition system WILL NOT WORK. Motor won't even turn over...basically makes the vehicle one big paperweight. This makes it alot harder to steal a late-model Ford.

2. Purchasing a PATS Key
You have 2 options here.
2a) Buy one from the Dealership. Can run $50+ quite easily
2b) eBay! I have bought many many PATS keys from $5-10 shipped over the years. They are plentiful.

3. Programming a PATS Key
There are 2 ways to program a PATS key.
Click the image to open in full size.
3a) You have 2 PATS keys that already are programmed = FREEBIE!
3b) You only have 1 PATS key programmed = Costly
Unfortunately, you must visit the Dealership, or a properly equipped Locksmith. They will have to connect a special tool to the PCM and perform the key programming for you. Roughly costs $40-50 (1/2 hour labor) for this service.

4. Programming a Remote/Fob/Clicker
No requirements here.

Simply have all the clickers with you in the truck and go to town. Extremely easy. If you don't have a clicker, eBay is your friend as usual

5. Programming the Door Keypad
Again, super easy to perform...if you have the OEM Factory code. If not, you can visit the Dealership and drop some $$$...or look on the rear wall of the cab. There is a lock control module with the code printed on a white sticker. here is a link.
"Easy" way to Remove your backseat

6. Using a Fusion Key
So if you are like me, the key + clicker can be somewhat cumbersome.

luckily, the Ford Fusion key/clicker will work with our trucks. It is a combo unit that uses the same key & clicker frequencies.

I love the one I have for my Expy & Mustang.

To use one, follow the seperate programming instructions above for the key and clicker. You have to program each portion induvidually.
As for purchasing one...eBay!!! Notice a trend?

These keys are not quite as cheap as a normal PATS key however. But the going rate seems to be about $30 roughly. To me, highly worth it.
You go from this: Click the image to open in full size.

To this: Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions, please ask.

2006 F-260 CC PSD - His - a few things done
2012 Flex Limited - Hers

Previous: 2008 Expedition EL that the roof rusted out on. Under Warranty <26,000 miles and Ford reneged on their Warranty. Check your paint, chances are its rusting as well!!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
cjhenry ScreamingSkulls
Nice write up.

I can say, I have bought many MANY PATS keys from ebay over the past years. Typically I take the blank key to sears and they cut it for a buck or two. It's always good to have several extra keys on hand.
█ Favorite Threads: Interior LED Swap - Transmission Flush with Magnefine In-line Filter
Old 01-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
When I buy a new Ford, one of the first things I do is purchase several extra PATS keys off ebay and get them programmed as soon as possible. Since I keep extra keys for my vehicles in several locations, I generally cut the maximum number of keys allowed by Ford and get it over with.

(IE -- I keep a key for each vehicle at my in-laws house in case I ever lock the keys in the car while I'm there or in case I get locked out somewhere locally so they can just grab the set of keys from their place and come help me out.)

I usually use one of the newly cut keys as my "daily" key, and keep the original factory keys in a safe place so I never run into a situation where I can't easily reprogram a replacement key if I need one.

FWIW -- my local Wal-Mart has always been happy to cut my PATS keys for free on their machine, as long as I understand that if they cut it wrong, it's my problem and not theirs. It's never been a problem, as every key has been cut just fine.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
So if the Fusion Key works, does this mean this one will too?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...Q5fAccessories

Also, does the Fusion key only work with certain years? I have the 04 NBS
Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150
Does the Fusion Key work on OBS 99-03's?

Thanks To Screen Fx
Performance: BBK Headers, Airaid CAI, Exhaust W/ SD Tips, Slotted Rotors W/ EBC Pads, Etc.
Ext: Depo Heads And Fogs, Tint, Tonneau, SD Tails, Custom Grille, Etc.
Int: Full Audio, Leather, Expy Consoles, Etc.
---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---
Progress Thread
Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
will that fusion key work on a 97 f150? eh eh?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150 4x4
Good stuff. When I bought my truck in 07 - before I knew about this forum, I found an outfit called Street Keys - they were a big help as only 1 Pats key came with the used truck. (Now Keylessride.com) and then, in 07 they were cheaper than a dealer.

I didn't know about the Fusion key option and I like it - just checked keylessride and theirs are $99 - yikes - but they claim retail of near $160 - double yikes. Guess I'll be looking to ebay!

Great write up!

My other truck is a hot air balloon!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Expedition
no idea about the 1997-2003 style trucks.

My knowledge about the Fusion key to date:
I know it works on all 2007+ Fords, and select 2004+ Fords. Luckily the 04-10 F-150 and 03-10 Expy is 100% backwards compatible.

I know the Fusion key does not work on the Taurus/Mustang line from 2000-2006.

I hate to say it, but you would have to try. For the key, compare part #'s from a 97-03 truck vs. a 04-08 truck. And for the clicker, see if the dealership will let you program it to the truck prior to purchase.

wish I could be more help

2012 Flex Limited - Hers

Previous: 2008 Expedition EL that the roof rusted out on. Under Warranty <26,000 miles and Ford reneged on their Warranty. Check your paint, chances are its rusting as well!!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
I don't think the actual cut of the keys has changed or the transponders for pats, but one thing i can think of is that the 1997-03 F150's have a guard thing where the key goes into the ignition cylinder, so the newer keys with the fob in them might be too wide to fit in there.

Also, I think that the key fobs are backwards compatible, but not forwards. I was able to program my friends 03 mountaineer key fob to my 2000 F150, but I was not able to make mine work on his. So it might be the same for future ones. I'll give it a shot with his 07 mustangs key fob on my truck and see if it works.

- Erik
Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
I actually found a flip key/ fob on ebay, listed for 99 to 03. However stated it would not work if the ignition switch has the guatd.

Glen
2001 Expedition XLT Sport, 5.4 L, AWD with rear LS and 4.10s, Bilsteins, Kelly Safari TSRs 285-70-17 on Helo 791s in black, Edge CTS, MagnaFlow, Volant CAI
2004 G35 Sedan, BBS Wheels, Stillen Suspension, Body Kit, BBK
2005 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000
1993 VFR 750/ RC 30 Big Bore
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 AM

Vehicle: 2010 FX4 SCrew
Anyone know if the 3-button works too? They are for the 07-08 Edge, Escape and Freestyle.

Great write up BTW Tylus.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 AM

yes, the 3 button works as well. sorry I forgot there were the different styles of "Fusion" key.

there is a 3, 4, 5 button key. they all work. but it is kinda pointless using a 4 or 5 button though

2012 Flex Limited - Hers

Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 PM

I bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories and it works fine in my 2009 F150. The Trunk button is the panic alarm.

Edit: It looks like this.

Last edited by bluetoy; 01-18-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150 Screw
As I'm at work and can't wander Ebay, What do the 4 and 5 buttons do. Do I need to worry about crap/fake keys?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 AM

lock
unlock
panic
rear hatch open
rear glass pop

you only need a 3 button, but any of the remotes will work in a pinch. there will just be buttons that don't get used.

2012 Flex Limited - Hers

Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 AM