Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... after 20 failed attempts and then posting here.....i try a few more times and it worked......still havent figured out what i was doing wrong the other times.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
98 Expedition- Remove Key Surround?

I have a 98 Expedition EB 4x4 with Anti-Theft (Not sure if PATS or precursor)
My question is, does the key surround fill any function? Would cutting/grinding it off to fit a flip key be a bad idea?

From reading the thread, the flip fob should operate my locks. I figure I can swap PATS transponders from my current keys to the flip keys. Only thing left is the surround preventing fit. I figure a minute or so with an grinder will fix that.
Thoughts?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by RocketTech
I have a 98 Expedition EB 4x4 with Anti-Theft (Not sure if PATS or precursor)
My question is, does the key surround fill any function? Would cutting/grinding it off to fit a flip key be a bad idea?

From reading the thread, the flip fob should operate my locks. I figure I can swap PATS transponders from my current keys to the flip keys. Only thing left is the surround preventing fit. I figure a minute or so with an grinder will fix that.
Thoughts?
While I don't believe the surround has anything to do with the PATS (Key Chip, however you want to refer to it), I believe it is there to provide leverage so that you don't twist/possibly break the key itself in the ignition, It lets you twist the cylinder while the key unlocks the pins inside to allow it to turn.

I'd thought of this too but after taking that into consideration I decided to drop the idea, besides I have an aftermarket alarm so the buttons would be useless to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Navigator Key Help

Hey members, I know this is a pretty old thread but I have some up to date info that might help. By the way, I'm in the Southern California area.

2007 Navigator:

1. Remove the passenger side kick panel - then unscrew/unbolt the 2 fasteners that are holding the fuse panel in place - then look on the back of the panel for a rectangular "FoMoCo" stamped and barcoded sticker - then look at the bottom (left or right) corners for the 'small' 5 digit code.
2. I bought my Navigator used with only 1 key. After calling various dealerships I was given "key copy / programming" prices ranging from $135.00 - $210.00. I was told that I had to have my Navigator at the dealership so that they could program the key copy to my SUV. Each and every dealer specifically asked... "if I already had one key only?" This was not a 'Re-key' job for the dealership - just a 2nd copy of the originail key. Because of the pricing, I never hade a copy made.

Two days ago I was at a Super Walmart and noticed a sign that said they make "transponder key copies." I asked the guy behind the counter if he could do one for my Navigator - he said yes. I then assumed that I needed to pull the Navigator into a bay and he said that wasn't necessary. He invited me behind the counter to show me how it all worked; here's the deal.

He took my original key and placed it in a reader that was reading code on My key. The machine signaled when it was done, then he inserted the BLANK key and the machine transferred my code to the blank, then he cut the blank (like he would any other key) and gave it to me to try - EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY!

I went back in and paid $54.00 and drove home - vowing to post this info on this forum.
I hope this will help someone.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Lincoln_Nav
Navigator Key Help

Hey members, I know this is a pretty old thread but I have some up to date info that might help. By the way, I'm in the Southern California area.

2007 Navigator:

1. Remove the passenger side kick panel - then unscrew/unbolt the 2 fasteners that are holding the fuse panel in place - then look on the back of the panel for a rectangular "FoMoCo" stamped and barcoded sticker - then look at the bottom (left or right) corners for the 'small' 5 digit code.
2. I bought my Navigator used with only 1 key. After calling various dealerships I was given "key copy / programming" prices ranging from $135.00 - $210.00. I was told that I had to have my Navigator at the dealership so that they could program the key copy to my SUV. Each and every dealer specifically asked... "if I already had one key only?" This was not a 'Re-key' job for the dealership - just a 2nd copy of the originail key. Because of the pricing, I never hade a copy made.

Two days ago I was at a Super Walmart and noticed a sign that said they make "transponder key copies." I asked the guy behind the counter if he could do one for my Navigator - he said yes. I then assumed that I needed to pull the Navigator into a bay and he said that wasn't necessary. He invited me behind the counter to show me how it all worked; here's the deal.

He took my original key and placed it in a reader that was reading code on My key. The machine signaled when it was done, then he inserted the BLANK key and the machine transferred my code to the blank, then he cut the blank (like he would any other key) and gave it to me to try - EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY!

I went back in and paid $54.00 and drove home - vowing to post this info on this forum.
I hope this will help someone.
The problem with wal mart keys is. 1 they do have a battery in them and it will go dead. 2. You still only have one programed key. So if you want a 3rd you still have to have one programed by a dealer or locksmith.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1LethalSVT
The problem with wal mart keys is. 1 they do have a battery in them and it will go dead. 2. You still only have one programed key. So if you want a 3rd you still have to have one programed by a dealer or locksmith.
Those keys do not have batteries in them.

The key code reader / programmer is reading the RFID off the key you have, and burning it into the new key.
This is the same RFID burn process that the Ford and non clone OEM keys go through when the blanks are made.
The locksmith / walmart is just getting the blanks before they have a unique ID programmed into the head.
- This is not new, been around a few years now.

I have 2 of them from my locksmith. I made a copy of both keys so I have 2 different RFID IDs and 4 keys.

Unless you are adding a remote start yourself, you don't need the 2nd key, you can continue to burn cloned RFID keys off a single key.

I would guess it is best to keep cloning the factory key for best results. Don't know what happens if you clone a clone of a clone of the factory. Should be fine, but I have seen not tests on it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
My truck 2006 f-150 5.4L 4x4, will not start or none of the lights will come on in the run position

I had a Hypertech programmer plugged in and I pulled it out prematurely.

I turned my key and cannot start.

I was told I activated the anti-theft system.

Is it possible to correct this myself? I do have 2 of the keys that came with the truck please advise.

Andrew

Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I see a bunch of the Fusion and Milan keys on ebay but most or all are used and already cut. Would they still fit??...or do they have to be cut for your vehicle?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by MOVEOVER
I see a bunch of the Fusion and Milan keys on ebay but most or all are used and already cut. Would they still fit??...or do they have to be cut for your vehicle?
Without the key being cut for your vehicle I don't see a way to program the chip in it because part of the programming sequence is to turn the new key in the cylinder, Unless, of course, you have a computer that can read/write the codes from/onto the keys.

let alone the heads fitting, I haven't looked to see if they are the same style or not.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 PM

I need some help guys. I recently got a 08 Escape 2wd. I'm trying to find transponder keys for it. I bought some from ebay and had to send them back as they would NOT program at the locksmith. I have used this locksmith before as well and he know what he's doing. He pointed out that the key I have has a "S" stamped in it, the ones I bought from ebay didn't. I tried the IKT (Key and remote fob all in one) keys for convenience...but I don't believe they were the 40 bit transponder key like I have. The remote part programmed, but it would start the Escape! As a matter of fact, I can't find ANY IKT keys with stamps on them. I have found a pair of "SA" transponder keys for $13 on ebay. I understand that these are 80 bit transponder keys that are backwards compatible with the 40 bit system like my Escape has.

Can anyone help? I am at a loss trying to find the remote fobs. I would love to have the IKT keys, but I'm jut trying to find 2 keys and 2 key fobs as they will be much cheaper.

Help.

DS

Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM

I found some "SA" keys and some remote fobs from a reputable seller on ebay. Hopefully, round 2 will be better.

DS

Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Well, I got the remotes programmed. Now I just have to find time to make it to a locksmith so they can program the second key.

DS

Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Question Trouble programming my door locks and factory remote start

I purchased a key from the dealer and programmed it to start the truck. Worked like a charm. How do I get the fob to lock/unlock the doors and remote start? in my search I have heard about cycling the key from off to on 8 times to get the truck into programming mode and then just hit any button. Although the truck locks and unlocks at the 8th time when I leave the key in the on position indicating that I succeeded in putting the truck in programming mode, pushing any of the fob buttons does nothing. It is supposed to lock and unlock again to indicate that it worked. Afterward you shut the ignition off. Anyone have any ideas on programming the fob for lock/unlock and or remote start?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
I purchased a key from the dealer and programmed it to start the truck. Worked like a charm. How do I get the fob to lock/unlock the doors and remote start? in my search I have heard about cycling the key from off to on 8 times to get the truck into programming mode and then just hit any button. Although the truck locks and unlocks at the 8th time when I leave the key in the on position indicating that I succeeded in putting the truck in programming mode, pushing any of the fob buttons does nothing. It is supposed to lock and unlock again to indicate that it worked. Afterward you shut the ignition off. Anyone have any ideas on programming the fob for lock/unlock and or remote start?
You will have to take it to a dealer. I dont remember what year but Ford changed the way the remotes are programed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info