Go Back   F150online Forums > Special Interest > Articles & How-To's
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Boss 5.4
Send a message via AIM to crash_lucky13 Send a message via MSN to crash_lucky13 Send a message via Yahoo to crash_lucky13
pat, once again, you da man. mine has been out for over a year. wiggled every cable i could think of. thanks a million. the yellow beast is on her way to recovery!

K9 trainer, Veteran
1989 Ford Bronco- play toy
2002 Ford Boss-5.4 tinkered with, Gryphon tuned, 4.10 gears, built tranny, Gibson ceramic headers & exhaust EFan edelbrock TB, PnP intake, ACCEL cops, hiflow radiator, 3/4 drop kit, hellwig front/rear sways,
2011 F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0
2004 Harley Screamin Eagle Softail Deuce
Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Vehicle: 2003 F-150
Send a message via AIM to Patman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99F150SSXLT View Post
hey pat. can i get a pic of the harness at the back if you have a better one. im looking to install this and i wanted to see if the temp sensor and the compass where attached to the display or if its located under the hood of the truck. i really want this console. thanks
the temp sensor is located underhood just behind the grill. As for the compass, Not sure.

Ill see if i can get a better picture of the connector and harness
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150
Send a message via MSN to 99F150SSXLT
does it look like its part of the overall PATS system or the computer system or does it seem to be independant i really want this in my truck along with a homelink.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySCREW View Post
Patman----on my 03 Lariat my overhead console is different. I do NOT have a screw visible anywhere on the console and its about a third the size of yours. Mine houses the button for the sunroof (which works) and 2 Map lights (which work) and the Green Screen Compass/Temperature (which DOESN'T work). Do you think mine just pulls straight down? I've been meaning to do this since I bought the truck and never got around to it. I'm off this weekend and may try to tackle the job. Thanks---DirtySCREW
found this picture on ebay, looks like 4 clips hold the console on
Click the image to open in full size.

BTW anyone have an old console with or without a display in it they are looking to get rid of?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
The Overhead Console Temp Display on my 2000 F150 has been non-functioning for probably 2 years. I saw this "how to" tonight and decided to make the repair, which took less time than changing the flat tire I had last week. It works now. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Global Moderator &

congrats, and welcome forums
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Talking Thanks

Another newbie here. The display was flaking out, on and off when I was in So. Cal. Last June I moved to Iowa and it quit completely.

The resistors did not appear to be lifted like your picture, but after disassembly, I connected the wires, and when I pushed on them, the display came on.

I re-soldered both 510s and the other 180s? down the line and it works again.

Thanks for posting the detailed instructions.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 PM

what just happened?

I have no idea what is going on with my overhead console, but maybe one of you know. 2001 F-150 4x4 supercab xlt

I have not yet gotten the chance to disassemble the console, but something happened a couple days ago that makes me think a bad connection up there is not the problem.

I was driving when I suddenly noticed both windows and interior lights stopped working. I figured it was probably a blown fuse since it all went down at once. So I kept on driving. Minutes later, after two years of not working, my overhead console light comes on! What the heck?! It stayed on for probably five minutes until I stopped my truck to go into a store. Sure enough, when I started up the truck again it no longer worked again.

I have recently replaced the fuse for my "interior lamp relay". It fixed the windows and the lamps. I "think" it was fuse location 14. I can find out for sure if that is important. Console still doesnt work. It's five minutes resurrection was a sight for sore eyes though.

I cant think of anything I could have done to make this happen. Why did it work all of a sudden when another fuse went out? I have tried pressing the select button multiple times to be sure that it wasnt just turned off or something. I doubt it makes a difference, but I have an electric sun roof as well. Im lost here.

Update. I went to the Ford dealership here after the interior relay fuse blew out again. Two days later. I tried to replace it again, only to have it blow out as soon as i inserted it. Short circuit somewhere.

Ford mechanic said it was some problem with my stereo wires touching, etc. So he uninstalled my stereo and put another fuse in. No idea on the console issue. Got my truck. It was working fine. Parked it at home. Started it back up to go reinstall my stereo..and guess what. No windows or interior lights again! I didnt even bother looking at the fuse. I am sure its blown. Planning on taking it back to the dealership tomorrow. Now the console isnt my major concern anymore..

Last edited by texas republic; 04-30-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Thumbs up Thank you!

This worked on my 02 King Ranch F150 SuperCab even with pathetic soldering skills! Thanks so much for sharing this! On my model, there is no screw for the overhead console, you just give it a yank. I had to use a screwdriver (covered with a rag for protection) to pry it down slightly so I could get my fat fingers in there.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
I keep forgetting to add this, but the SuperDuty has the same issue.

They are 68 ohm resistors that let loose ( vs the 51 Ohm ones that let loose on the F-150 ).

Just did one 2 weeks ago, and took pictures this time, 2 resistors were missing from the latest one.

When adding the resistors ( at least to the SuperDuty version ) there are 3 traces that you need to make sure you get the resistor to cover. I bent the bottom legs of the resistor in a L to cover then, then tinned the resistor and iron, so when I got it to the PCB it was good to go.

The SuperDuty, the traces for the resistors seems to be the center traces in the multi layer PCB.

Just took a dental Cleoid and made sure the solder was not bridged to the adjacent traces, plugged it in, and it starting working again.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the help I just fixed my console !!!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 1999 FORD F-150
Is there anyway ti install an overhead console off an expy to a 99 f150 Supercab? I assume all it needs is power and ground?. well, temp sensor has to go somewhere...
Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Global Moderator &

the expy has the MPG computer instead of the temp/compass. Not sure what invovled to swap the computer system over. I swapped an expy console into my truck, but will be using my factory temp/compass. The dome light portion is a direct plug and play with my factory harness in the headliner
Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 ford f150 xlt 4
jay bowering jaywalleye
I just had this problem last week. google it today and found this forum and fixed it in 10 min. thanks alot
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to Fabian06SC
My 01 expy went dim two days ago, pulled the console out, dismantled, soldered and checked, and reassembled in about 12 min.

Thank goodness for forums.

"The things most regreted are the things you never did"
Qoute of the week lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti96 View Post
... if you searched it would have been right at the top I bet... I tried. Spoon feeding isn't my forte'.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM