Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by torkum
NYfordguy, you might be interested in this method of access to the blend door
www.heatertreater.net
Good find. Save that link. In some instances a leaking heater core will short out the actuator motor. This video shows what is involved in the removal of the actuator motor.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by torkum
NYfordguy, you might be interested in this method of access to the blend door
www.heatertreater.net
wish I knew about him when I replaced my blend door. I wouldn't have hacked my **** up like he did, but I would have bought his improved door.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks Quintin,
Am in the middle to trying to get my Blend Door replaced. You're post is helping a lot. Still a lot of learn as I go on items in my '99 F150, but it would have been a nightmare without your help.

The vid at the site for the cut and fix(altenate) method was a help, in that, I used it to get the vent off the bottom and remove the actuator to see if I got bits and pieces of my blend door shaft. Sure enough.. what was left of the shaft fell out in my hand. Not one to butcher up a car when it is just labor needed to do it right, I jumped off into it. Only working in cool evenings, 3 days and dash about to come out. But, I have learned that many of the screws I took out were not required and reinstalling the Dash will go much quicker.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to reconsider putting those screws back in unless you can handle dash rattle

Old 07-11-2009, 02:44 PM
LOL, I will..
I meant that the removal wasn't required to get the dash out and I wasted the time taking them out.. but for sure will put em back..
in fact I have.
Was a success in the end. A lot of labor but saved over $1,000 and all works..

Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Congrats, you've probably done the most tedious job you will ever have to do on your truck.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Blend door motor(actuator) replacement

I took the dash apart today on my 2003 Expedition and removed the acuator. I took it apart and found broken plastic gears inside. Verified blend door functioning properly and put it all back together. I am glad I did not have to take the plenum apart because the way Ford made it I would have had to remove the whole thing and disconnect the heatyer core lines and evaporator lines. Took me about 14 hours start to finish but took breaks for lunch and dinner and had to run to the parts store. Thanks for the pictures. Although they did not match it gave me a good idea what to look for and where.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM
1998 Expedition

So this includes a 1998 Expedition XLT 4X4 4.6?

I get heat front and back but only for a minute or two. After that it's cool/ambient.

Coolant system has been flushed; new thermostat installed; and it appears good flow through heater core.

Help

Kevin

ksoren1779@aol.com

Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by ksoren
So this includes a 1998 Expedition XLT 4X4 4.6?

I get heat front and back but only for a minute or two. After that it's cool/ambient.

Coolant system has been flushed; new thermostat installed; and it appears good flow through heater core.

Help

Kevin

ksoren1779@aol.com
You've got the same set up

Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Before the Blend door, Does anyone know where fresh air inlet is on 2013 f150?

I have a 2013 and wonder if any forum folks might know where the inlet point is for the fresh air.

I know lots of guys would like to add an air filter.

I'd be happy enough to block off the inlet, so in effect I'd have Recirc on all the time. If I can just find it.

Researching this further I've found that under 50 degrees outside, On Auto climate control, Ford forces the Recirc to drop out after 5 minutes, thus forcing you to receive outside air in the cabin, whether you want it or not. Lots of brands like Nissan and Lexus do not do this! Asthma sufferers and folks allergic to pollen or road diesel smoke understand.

I've looked under the cowl cover beneath the wiper blades and don't see an air opening, on the passenger side, anyway.

Tips appreciated.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Angry

Maybe a little daylight.

The fresh air inlet may not be obvious.

Below the cowl on the passenger side...basically on the high portion of the firewall, you can see two round holes. One is about a half inch and the other about 3/8". Then up in the flat portion of the cowl, there is about a 1" hole under a plastic shroud.

Using smoke generating device, and with the heater on, and recirc off, and engine off, I did get a fair amount of smoke drawn into the truck interior from that area of the cowl.

If these are the air inlets, it's not obvious, and would be something impossible to add an air filter to.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
anyone know the air inlet location, or how you access the air inlet blend door?

Quick Reply: Blend door replacement with pictures