Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

IWE's: Removal & Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curtk69
ok i read alot of stuff on here regarding 4x4 issues and am just getting confused and overwhelmed.

my truck sat for 6 months rarely getting driven at all or even started up while i was doing major bodykit work and painting on it. battery was run down and disconnected several times. 4x4 was never used during this time.

the 4hi shift on the fly seemed to work fine last spring when i quit driving it.

anyways first time i goto use 4hi this winter , it gives me a big clunk and doesnt engage .
Your clunk sounds similar to the issue I had. I just replied to your other topic about this as well. One of my actuators was actually broken when I looked at it under the truck. All three mounting tabs were broken off and it was pushed away from the spindle under its own spring pressure. I am assuming that my clunk....and your clunk....was this actuator breaking. I would check the CV shaft where it engages the hub, that is where the actuator is located. See if it is broken like mine was.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I worked on my IWEs I did it the way described by everyone here.........

Just saw this video:

Seems siimple and much quicker........ just remove the half axle without removing the tire/caliper/tie rod/etc/etc. You have 1 spindle nut, 6 nuts on inner half axle, then 3 nuts on IWE + 1 big nut on strut/coil over just to get it out of the way.

This is how I would do it going forward. Hope this helps someone!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Need help please?

I have a 2004 f150 and when I switch it to either 4 hi or low everything works from the switch light down to transfer case then out to axles, my question is that everything is working but wheels are not engaging with 4wd even thought half axles are turning, any thoughts?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Links to documents in first post fixed!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Replaced and still get noise

So I replaced the drivers side hub actuator since it was making noise and 4x4 was not working also replaced the solenoid.

4x4 works now, but I still get the grinding noise while in 2wd that comes and goes. Noise goes away if I put it in 4x4.

Not sure if I didn’t install correctly or what’s the problem.
I did notice that the drivers side CV does stick out more compared to passenger side. See images
Maybe I didn’t get it to fit in properly??

Drivers side. Also notice the bigger gap at the bottom compared to passenger.

Passenger side.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Exclamation Humming noise was IWE issue

Originally Posted by TN-F150
Tomorrow I plan to change the bad IWE on my truck and document with pictures and diagrams along with a list of tools needed. This has been one of the least documented repairs that I've had to do, so I plan to change all that for the next guy. (it might be you... ) I recently found on the net www.helminc.com for subscription factory service manuals and bought 72 hours use to get the pages I needed for the repair. This is a great service if you just need quick a look at the manual for reference or repair. (You get access to the full manual as well as wiring diagrams and can save as PDF's).

I happened to decide afterwards with the market like it is with used cars right now, I plan to keep this truck a long time, so I found a set of factory Ford F150 service manuals on ebay for $59! (cheap compared to $30 for a crappy Haynes manual and the like) and a factory Ford wiring diagram book for $9. If anyone is interested, this is the link to the F150 section of Helm.http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...RKB2BBWBU23CJ0

Once I get done and get my pictures and diagrams together, I'll post a site for all enterity.

Stay tuned.

**UPDATE**

I now have the files up for download here:

Driveline System Diagnosis
IWE Replacement Instructions
System Description and Operation

**UPDATE**

**NEW 6/8/2011**

Diagnosis and Testing
**NEW 6/8/2011**

**UPDATE**

edit:

Never say forever or "a long time"...the truck is gone.
Hey
So I had a similar problem with my truck. Not knowing it was the IWE failing. At first i got my rotors replaced but problem was still there. Then i took it in again and the dealer replaced "vaccum check valve" the iwe had passed their check at this time. The issue was still there for me so I took it in once again,and they replaced the "check valve", applied vaccum to IWE(both passed), but when the advisor did the road test it still made the vibration noise from front driver side. They took it back in and replaced both IWE's and inspected "wheel bearing splines" (passed) and replaced "IWE clutch rings". The noise has finally gone away. Seems to be a common problem on these new trucks. Hope this helps whoever is dealing with the same issue.

Quick Reply: IWE's: Removal & Replacing