Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Have you not changed your fuel filter in awhile? Fuel filters are probably the most neglected preventative maintenance. Fuel filters screen out dirt and rust particles that may have gotten into your fuel tank or lines. Clogged fuel filters can add a variety of issues to your vehicle and extra wear to your fuel system.

Read the full discussion below to find out how to replace your fuel filter.
Print Wikipost

2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cut the old filter open today for kicks and was surprised to find it didn't look too bad on the inside, just looks like wet brown cardboard. Never cut a new one open, are they white to start with? Took a 60 mile trip and throttle response seemed to be much better.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Did some maintenance today as well. Oil and filter, as well as the fuel filter. I am one who has the rubber line with the orange clip. I just slipped the tool into the line without prying off the orange clip.

On a seperate note, I am going to replace the belt with a gator back, does antone have a write-up on that.

Edit: I changed the fuel filter at 23,xxx and it was still very clean. Gas coming out was still clear and I could blow through it very easily.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I should have checked this site first, I just finished changing my fuel filter ('99 f150xl). The gas that came out was just as filthy as the pic I saw. The corrosion on the filter itself made me think it was the factory one. I didn't have any orange clips, my clips were metal but slightly different than the pic posted. I didn't have the tool but managed to fashion one out of a plastic plumbing supply line (half inch long w/ slit) and it worked like a charm (I pushed it in using a screwdriver). I have a few pics but I don't see where I can attach them (maybe I am not allowed yet?).

Old 07-25-2007, 10:17 PM
speaking of the blue clip does anyone know the part # for it i broke mine and completely removed it and used the plastic fork type one that came with the filter to put it back but I would just like to put it back to "factory" with the blue clip any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 06White150
speaking of the blue clip does anyone know the part # for it i broke mine and completely removed it and used the plastic fork type one that came with the filter to put it back but I would just like to put it back to "factory" with the blue clip any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Here ya go, buddy.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=blue+clip

Cheers
Bubba

Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 PM
WTF! I searcHED BUT DID NOT FIND..... tHANK YOU!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Orange Clip Issue Solved!!

Guys, not sure if this has been posted anywhere, I could not find it, but the ORANGE clip everyone is having problems with (see pictures) is NOT meant to be pulled out. It is meant to be DEPRESSED. You push it down and pull back on the hose...that simple. Try it. Also, if you have a BLUE clip on the hose too, it is simple. Pull of the middle tab and press down on the outer tab and pull back on the hose. I changed mine today and when the ORANGE tab would NOT come out easy, I gave it a press and pull and voila....that simple. I even removed the blue clip just to see if the instructions I had seen for that clip were correct. IMHO, there is no design flaw with the orange clip. Mine didn't break at all and the hard part about the filter change was using the disconnect tool to patiently remove the fuel line from the filter (gently and patiently) and removing the filter for the frame holder. This really is a 10 min. job once you do it once. At $10.00 a pop for the Motorcraft filter from Advanced Auto Parts, I will be doing this every 10,000 or 15,000 miles. Good luck and hope this helps!!

P.S.: My truck is 3 years this month and 18,000 miles and I use SHELL and only SHELL gas and have never had any problems with performance. The gas in the filter was not clear, looked dirty much like other pictures I have seen. Again, I will be changing every 10,000 or 15,000 miles for sure.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you only knew how much sand you had in your gas tank right now it would make you cringe then.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow after seeing and reading this, I have 83k on mine just rolled lastnight and Im leaving right now to get a fuel filter. I bet its never been changed since I got her at 62k and I haven't done it....

THANKS FOR THE WRITEUP!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by res1eott
P.S.: My truck is 3 years this month and 18,000 miles and I use SHELL and only SHELL gas and have never had any problems with performance. The gas in the filter was not clear, looked dirty much like other pictures I have seen. Again, I will be changing every 10,000 or 15,000 miles for sure.
I guess Florida must have good gas! I changed mine at 15,000 miles, clear gas, with no signs of clogs. My truck also sees dirt roads every day.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, that was so cheap, easy, and now I smell like fuel bad. Anyways, Motorcraft fuel filter was 9bux at Advanced, Fuel line remover 7bux, and that was that. 10 mins, the only issue I had was not wanting to break the blue clip since the Motorcrafts come with 0 new clips. But just pull the little middle piece up and push on the sides while wiggling it back and game over.

Simple, and cheap, just how I like maintanence on my Screw.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by res1eott
Guys, not sure if this has been posted anywhere, I could not find it, but the ORANGE clip everyone is having problems with (see pictures) is NOT meant to be pulled out. It is meant to be DEPRESSED. You push it down and pull back on the hose...that simple. Try it. Also, if you have a BLUE clip on the hose too, it is simple. Pull of the middle tab and press down on the outer tab and pull back on the hose.

I was sure I'd see this posted earlier... god why does everyone think that those have to come out?

The only way to replace that piece is to replace the entire line. Ford does not offer new "non-removable" clips seperately. Please remove your little bit about pulling on that clip because you're going to cause A LOT of headache for a lot of people.

As for everyone who's asking themselves why they didn't actually do it the right way, a small zip-tie will hold until you can replace the line.

EDIT: Oh and the reason why a clip isn't supplied is because there are no clips that should be replaced...

Old 08-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Cynder
I was sure I'd see this posted earlier... god why does everyone think that those have to come out?

The only way to replace that piece is to replace the entire line. Ford does not offer new "non-removable" clips seperately. Please remove your little bit about pulling on that clip because you're going to cause A LOT of headache for a lot of people.

As for everyone who's asking themselves why they didn't actually do it the right way, a small zip-tie will hold until you can replace the line.

EDIT: Oh and the reason why a clip isn't supplied is because there are no clips that should be replaced...
I have read that the ones who broke the blue clip were able to just replace it with a new blue clip from the dealership for 16 dollars without having to replace the entire line. They even have part numbers for the clips 5/16" is part # 7L3Z-9A317-A and 3/8" part # is 7L3Z-9A317-B

Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Orange ones don't have a part number as far as I know...

I had to replace a line in a ranger for that exact problem... guy did the filter himself...

Part's couldn't find a part number for the clip.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM
res1eott is right - there is NO NEED to remove the plastic clips with a screwdriver. I changed my filter last night and it was easy. I have just over 36K miles on my truck - the gas coming out the back of the filter wasn't too dirty. The last little bit was somewhat brown, but not as bad as the pictures earlier in this thread.

My filter looks like the one in the beginning of this thread... here are my notes...

In case they are not legible...
RED NOTE - Push down to pop metal clip off, then slide out of the way
GREEN NOTE - Insert Fuel Line Removal tool (5/16") to remove. DO NOT use screwdriver on clip.
PURPLE NOTE - You cannot slide the filter out... there is a tab on this end (not visible here). To remove filter... push up really hard. Keep rag around it... as it tips more gas will drip out.

BTW - once you put the tube back on, be sure to squeeze the plastic clip BY HAND to pop the middle part back in.

Thanks for all the other tips in here, it made for an easy filter change!

Quick Reply: 2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures