Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Notes for 4.6 to 5.4 swap Part 1 Revised 04 April 2015
          Application: These notes cover the F-150 from 1997 to 2004 Heritage model years. They do not cover swaps to a supercharged 5.4 engine.

Before you start: All you are doing is putting a bigger displacement motor in place of your 4.6. I recommend you use your 4.6 ignition and PCM along with its engine harness.

Cylinder Heads: The following info applies to the F-150 and not any other vehicle engine.
          4.6 Engine: The 4.6 engine had Non Pi Heads from 1997 to 2000. The Pi heads were introduced to this engine for the 2001 model year.
          5.4 Engine: The 5.4 engine had Non Pi Heads from 1997 to 1998. The Pi heads were introduced to this engine for the 1999 model year.

Exhaust: The collectors on the exhaust manifolds are set at different angles and locations. The 4.6 exhaust might not bolt up to 5.4 manifold. You may need to have a muffler shop modify your 4.6 exhaust to match up.

Ignition: All 5.4 engines use Cop ignition. . 2000 and later 4.6 use COP ignition. 1997-99 4.6 engines use coil packs. It is easier to wire your 5.4 using the harness from the 4.6 and use the 4.6 ignition coil packs if applicable. If you use the 4.6 Coil pack ignition you will have to fab a bracket for the driver side coil pack.

Engine harness: To use a 4.6 PCM to run a 5.4 engine: The IAC harness must be relocated to the rear of the throttle body elbow. The oil sender wire on the 4.6 may be too short so measure or test fit the harness to see if it must be extended. All 97-00 and some 2001 4.6 engines use some sort of intake manifold runner control valve. Remove it from the 4.6 and plug it into the 4.6 harness and bolt it to the engine some where out of the way. Note; you can get a tune to remove its function and eliminate it all together.
          All 97-98 4.6 engines use an Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) and an Engine Coolant Temp sender. By the 99 Model year the ECT was dropped in both the 4.6 and 5.4 harness as the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT) was used for the PCM to monitor coolant temps. None of the 00+ 5.4s use ECT sensor or sender. Some of the 99 5.4s still use the sender to feed info to the instrument cluster. You will have to tap the intake manifold crossover pipe to fit the sensor(s) if your 4.6 has them and the 5.4 doesn’t.

Transmissions: the 4.6 and 5.4 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. That means that all the transmissions will bolt up. All the 5.4 engines have 8 bolt crankshafts. Some 4.6 engines (ROMEO ENGINE) have 6 bolt cranks. You will need the flex plate from the 5.4.
          Manual transmissions: If you don’t have an 8 bolt flywheel a flywheel from a 1997-8 4.6 Windsor engine will work. As it has 8 bolts it will bolt right up to the 5.4 crank. Remove the flex plate spacer and install a pilot bearing from a 4.6.

Special note about the different automatic transmissions and their respective harnesses. You cannot run a 4R100 transmission with a PCM that had a 4R70W transmission and vice versa. The transmission harnesses are different and will not plug into the different engine bay harness. The control functions in the PCM are not compatible so the transmission will not function properly.

Torque Converters:
          4R70W
          ENGINE............Stall Speed............Multiplication
          4.2..................1978-2330...............2.3:1
          4.6..................2105-2505...............2.3:1
          5.4..................1830-2190...............1.9:1

4R100
          All Engines......??????....................2.2:1

If you swap a 5.4 into a 4.6 engine bay and use the 4.6 converter you will multiply the 5.4's torque at a higher rate and at a higher stall speed which will put the torque at the transmission input shaft close to the limit if not over the limit of the 4R70W. The 99+ 5.4 produces 350 ft/lbs of torque. 90% of that is available at 2000 rpm. The stall speed of the 4.6 is above the 2000 rpm range so more than 90% is available. 350 ft/lbs x 2.3(4.6 multiplier) x 90% is 724.5 ft/lbs.

Last edited by JMC; 04-04-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: ENGINE APPLICATIONS
          The following 2 users liked this post by JMC:
          Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
          JMC

Part 2

Notes for 4.6 to 5.4 swap Part 2 Revised 04 April 2015

PCM and Tuning: it should start and run using the 4.6 PCM so if it doesn't there is something wrong with the wiring or a sensor. That is assuming t hat the 5.4 engine is mechanically sound. It is best to have a custom tune done to accommodate the extra displacement of the 5.4 when using the 4.6 PCM. You should be able to use the 4.6 MAF as any competent tuner can adjust for it. It is always best to discuss this with your tuner.

Knock Sensor: The 97-98 99 4.6 uses a 2 wire knock sensor. The 97-98 5.4 has 3 wires of which one is a ground for the shield. Both have a Yellow /red wire to pin 57 on PCM.
          1997-98-99-2000-01 Yellow/red to 57 on PCM 4.6 Same for 5.4.
          97-98 Pin 91 feeds power for 4.6 and other components. Same for 5.4
          1999- 2000-01 Pin 32 for power. Same for 5.4
          2002+ Cannot confirm.

Accessories: Some engines have 8 rib serpentine belts and some have 6. Be sure to check so that your accessories have the correct pulley. The original alternator, Air Conditioning compressor, water pump and power steering pump can be reused by changing the pulleys. You also can cheap out and use a 6 rib belt on an 8 rib pulley.

PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) : The 1999 model year saw the introduction of the PATS as standard equipment on the F-150. If you try to use the PCM from a PATS equipped truck (1999 +) on a non PATS equipped truck (1997-98) you will run into wiring problems. The instrument cluster in PATS equipped vehicles communicates with the PCM and they share security data. The work as a pair and if you use a different PCM they will need to be reprogrammed to work together. For a PATS capable PCM to function in a Non PATS vehicle the PATS function in the PCM must be disabled. So a 1999+ 5.4 PCM in a 1997-98 truck will need to have its PATS disabled. 1999+ 5.4 PCM in a 1999+ 4.6 Truck will need to have the PCM configured to the 4.6 instrument cluster or have the PATS disabled.

Misc: Both engines use the same engine mounts and their location on the block are also the same so your old ones will fit. Unbolt and place aside the AC and PS. You need to remove the intake manifold for the engine to come out. Yes there are 3 bolts on the starter.

Last edited by JMC; 04-04-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Engine applications in part 1
          Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 AM
          Suspended
          Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
          I know you have your research, and I have followed these exact notes as to a religion when I was going through my swap, but one thing I have always wondered about id the Torque multiplication. . . Where in the world is there over 700 Ft Lbs. going through on the trans???

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          can a guy go in reverse, I have been thinking about going from my 5.4 down to a 03-04 cobra 4.6, and retain my auto tranny?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
          What are your thoughts on swapping in 4v 5.4l into an 05 F150 4x4? I figure instead of trying to build HP into a 3v switiching to a 4v will open up capability and available of perf parts... Worthwhile? What will be issues? What engine would you start with for Supercharged hot street?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 AM
          my thoughts on a 4v 5.4 are it just isnt worth it. It would be nice to get the 6 sp tranny that goes with it, but if you take your 3v, add cnc heads http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...Cylinder+Heads, a decent set of cams, and then a whipple, you will make 5-600hp.

just a fyi, the 2v, 3v, and 4v engines all have interchangeable parts within their respective families.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
          I have a 2000 F150 4.6 and manual tranny that im going to replace it with a 2001 Lightning engine and tranny. I have the engine, automatic 4R100 tranny, ECM, engine wiring harness and tranny harness. I know that im not going to have a problem with the engine but my concern is if I am going to have a problem with the Lightning tranny wiring harnesses not matching up with the rest of the wiring in the vehicle. Any help would be great thanks

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
          JMC

Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
          I know you have your research, and I have followed these exact notes as to a religion when I was going through my swap, but one thing I have always wondered about id the Torque multiplication. . . Where in the world is there over 700 Ft Lbs. going through on the trans???
          A torque converter multiplies torque when it is slipping. The 4.6 converter multiplies at a rate of 2.3:1. The 5.4 produces 90% of its 350 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm. 350 x 90% is 315. Multiply 315 x 2.3 and you get 724.5 So on a stock 5.4 swap using the 4.6 converter will put over 700 ft lbs of torque through the transmission. I have 450 ft lbs at the wheels with my blower. If I had a shush box I would be putting close to 800 ft lbs through the tranny at 2000 rpm using a 5.4 converter. That is why people doing the L swap or just adding blowers are breaking the 4R70W.

The following users liked this post:
          Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
          JMC

Originally Posted by andrmorr
          What are your thoughts on swapping in 4v 5.4l into an 05 F150 4x4? I figure instead of trying to build HP into a 3v switiching to a 4v will open up capability and available of perf parts... Worthwhile? What will be issues? What engine would you start with for Supercharged hot street?
          There are some out there making respectable power by just adding a blower to the 3V 5.4. Why go to the head ache of an engine swap? There are some worthwhile 3v heads out now that you could bolt on. It really doesn't matter what engine you start with eventually you will break something. Forged internals is the safest bet. I know that I cannot afford the forged stuff so for now it is stock. Thankfully the stock crank in my 5.4 is forged so I can push the limit a bit more but the rods are still a weak link. I don't have any plans for a rebuild but when it blows I will have to take a serious look at what my options are. I would love to get my hands on a 6.2 engine.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
          JMC

Originally Posted by 04SCLariat
          can a guy go in reverse, I have been thinking about going from my 5.4 down to a 03-04 cobra 4.6, and retain my auto tranny?
          The Cobra has to spin to 6k to make its 390 HP. For the price of that engine you could supercharge the 5.4 and make the same power as the cobra does at the crank but at your rear wheels. OK, slight exaggeration but you get the idea.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
          JMC

Originally Posted by DezRaceSVT
          I have a 2000 F150 4.6 and manual tranny that im going to replace it with a 2001 Lightning engine and tranny. I have the engine, automatic 4R100 tranny, ECM, engine wiring harness and tranny harness. I know that im not going to have a problem with the engine but my concern is if I am going to have a problem with the Lightning tranny wiring harnesses not matching up with the rest of the wiring in the vehicle. Any help would be great thanks
          I have never checked the pinouts for the different year PCM as it would involve 8 different model years. 19987-2004. I can try to e-mail you the 2000 and 2001 Model year connector poinouts if you send me a PM with a return e-mail address.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
          Originally Posted by JMC
          The Cobra has to spin to 6k to make its 390 HP. For the price of that engine you could supercharge the 5.4 and make the same power as the cobra does at the crank but at your rear wheels. OK, slight exaggeration but you get the idea.
          oh for sure, however, the cobra engine is built, it has a forged crank good for 1500hp, manley h beam rods, and a solid iron block. Basically it has already been built, and to properly build a 3v 5.4l you would spend much more than 6k. With simple exhaust and a pulley on the eaton you will pick up 100 additional HP.

blower 5k, good heads 2k min, a set of cams up to 1k, and you still have a stock bottom end that was never built for boost.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 AM
          JMC

I am not going to turn this thread into a debate over which of the Modular engines is best suited for the F-150. The intent of this thread was to inform members who wanted to swap a 5.4 in place of their 4.6. In hindsight I should have never answered any of the above posts.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
          I have an 01 Screw with a 4.6 that has 180K miles on it. It appears that the piston in cylinder 2 has a whole burnt in it. I have located a replacement engine and it is out of an 07 E150 van. To my knowledge the timing cover, oil pan, intake and exhaust manifolds will have to be swapped off of my old motor. Does anyone know of any reason this should not or would not work? Any info appreciated. I am not concerned about performance I just want to get my truck back !!!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 PM
          Originally Posted by JMC
          I have never checked the pinouts for the different year PCM as it would involve 8 different model years. 19987-2004. I can try to e-mail you the 2000 and 2001 Model year connector poinouts if you send me a PM with a return e-mail address.
          JMC I sent you an email about the pinouts. Thanks

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes