Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          ok im stumped at the expense of sounding dumb im going to ask im wanting to swap a 2002 5.4 in my 97 which is a 5 speed truck with a 4.6 the 5.4 is fresh and been rebuilt the 4.6 has over 200k and is bout to let go my question is will my clutch from my 4.6 work with the 5.4 flywheel considering the clutch was just put in the truck back in january this year and i really dont want to buy another clutch since i just bought one and the clutch for the 5.4 is 400 bucks

Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          Manual transmissions: If you don’t have an 8 bolt flywheel a flywheel from a 1997-8 4.6 Windsor engine will work. As it has 8 bolts it will bolt right up to the 5.4 crank. Remove the flex plate spacer and install a pilot bearing from a 4.6.
          Check the 8th digit in your VIN. A W is a Romeo engine and a 6 is a Windsor engine. If you have a Windsor 4.6 the flywheel and clutch will bolt right up. If it is a Romeo you will need to purchase a 4.6 8 bolt flywheel.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM
          So i have a 5.4 with a hole in the oil pan and block. I have a 4.6 with the entire engine wiring harness. Is there anything else that i would need. The heads are interchangeable from a 5.4 to a 4.6 right. The 4.6 gets up to the right temp and then drops and stops blowing hot air through the vents. Then it gets way hot but doesn't blow warm air through the vents. That is why i am asking about the heads. I just don't have the time to read everything and I don't have the money to buy a new motor cause a rod snapped. That is what caused the holes in the 5.4

Last edited by BigGreenF150; 03-24-2015 at 02:41 PM.
          Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
          sorry to jump on here with my own question but can't find a answer else where

I have 2005 ford f150 4.6L / 4R70E transmission 8th digit in vin is a W

The swap going in. Complete with transmission
          2004 ford f 150 5.4L/ 4R75W transmission 8th digit in vin is a 5

both are 2 Wheel drive four door trucks

what drive shaft did y'all use for the swap i have wire harness and PCM i want to start today

Last edited by OFTpride; 03-25-2015 at 05:59 PM.
          Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 AM
          I have an 03 supercrew with a 4.6. I have access to a complete 02 Harley swap, 5.4 motor, 4r100 trans, wire harness, cluster etc. Is it pretty much a direct swap or would I be needing anything else? Any help is appreciated thanks!

Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 PM
          JMC

Originally Posted by OFTpride
          sorry to jump on here with my own question but can't find a answer else where

I have 2005 ford f150 4.6L / 4R70E transmission 8th digit in vin is a W

The swap going in. Complete with transmission
          2004 ford f 150 5.4L/ 4R75W transmission 8th digit in vin is a 5

both are 2 Wheel drive four door trucks

what drive shaft did y'all use for the swap i have wire harness and PCM i want to start today
          The 4.6 is a 2 valve engine. The 5.4 is a 3 valve engine. The 4.6 PCM will not be able to properly control the valve timing on the 5.4. The only way I could be certain that this would work is if you completely replaced the 4.6 PCM wiring with 5.4 wiring. The 04 and up (new body style) PCM has 3 HARNESSES. 1 each for Engine functions, Tranmission and Body module. The older 1998 - 2004 (heratige) F-150s had one harness that connected to the PCM and then wend to the different parts of the truck. Even with those the 104 pins were too much for me to speculate if using the 5.4 PCM would work or not. So you can imagine the issues with using a different PCM on your truck.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 PM
          JMC

Originally Posted by 1 high bald guy
          I have an 03 supercrew with a 4.6. I have access to a complete 02 Harley swap, 5.4 motor, 4r100 trans, wire harness, cluster etc. Is it pretty much a direct swap or would I be needing anything else? Any help is appreciated thanks!
          Define a direct swap. If you plan on replacing the engine bay harness and the complete dash along with the GEM then it should work. That means pulling every wire out of the engine bay and replacing it with the Supercrew harness.

As I have stated in these notes I will not look at every pin in the PCM to see if they match the new configeration you plan on using. There are 104 pins in the PCM. The circuit that these pins control change for the different model years, engine/transmission combination and trim level.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM
          Originally Posted by JMC
          The 4.6 is a 2 valve engine. The 5.4 is a 3 valve engine. The 4.6 PCM will not be able to properly control the valve timing on the 5.4. The only way I could be certain that this would work is if you completely replaced the 4.6 PCM wiring with 5.4 wiring. The 04 and up (new body style) PCM has 3 HARNESSES. 1 each for Engine functions, Tranmission and Body module. The older 1998 - 2004 (heratige) F-150s had one harness that connected to the PCM and then wend to the different parts of the truck. Even with those the 104 pins were too much for me to speculate if using the 5.4 PCM would work or not. So you can imagine the issues with using a different PCM on your truck.
          Items I already have pcm 5.4L engine.w/harness
          And trans w/ wire harness

So I have two of the three
          harness engine and transmission at this point . I would need to find the body harness . It's going to be a rough road till this swap is done I take it !!!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:05 PM
          Well the 4.6 is out with tranny and all

Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM
          JMC

You are not out of the woods yet. I cannot guarantee that the body module will be compatible with the 5.4. For sure the PATS will not work till the dealer reprograms it. You could always use the 5.4 with the 4.6 transmission and install cam phaser lockouts on the 5.4.

regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 AM
          Originally Posted by JMC
          You are not out of the woods yet. I cannot guarantee that the body module will be compatible with the 5.4. For sure the PATS will not work till the dealer reprograms it. You could always use the 5.4 with the 4.6 transmission and install cam phaser lockouts on the 5.4.

regards

Jean Marc Chartier
          I really thank everyone who is giving me feed back ,
          JMC ,
          i met a guy in a performance shop in fort worth that said he can reprogram the PCM to work with the PATS he can come to my house but until i get to that stage i will find out how true it is ,

as far as the transmission i think i am going to just keep the 4.6 tranny as a back up so if i have problems down the line with the tranny from the 5.4 ,

i will keep in mind your input JMC, *

Last edited by OFTpride; 04-18-2015 at 11:23 PM.
          Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 AM
          swapped a 4.6 to a 5.4

I took a 5.4 triton out of my 98 F150 and used it to replace a bad 4.6 in my 97 F150. Two days later, no forward gears...
          Help...

Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 PM

Well the 5.4L is in i finally got a chance to dink around with it but it started to rain on me how ever

I had to use motor mounts from the 4.6L driver and passenger on the 5.4L and the engine sits beautifully in the engine bay the 5.4L exhaust manifolds seem to line up with the exhaust pipe flange(s) currently on the truck but that is still undetermined till later in the project. i will try to post pictures here shortly

I am Wondering where can i locate some diagrams of the pin outs for the two pcm's

2005 ford f150 4.6L /PCM 221 HEVO
          2004 ford f150 5.4L PCM 221 DVK4

since i don't have a body harness from the doner truck and i am using the harness thats currently on the 2005 i just want to see the differences and figure out what need to be modified as far as all the bells and whistles on the 2004 and the 2005 dash cluster area

It's kind of complicated when it's only you by yourself but this is my little by little progress

Well here it is YALL long way from being done but a little closer to the finish line

Last edited by OFTpride; 04-18-2015 at 11:53 PM.
          Old 05-08-2015, 01:22 AM
          I have a 2000 f150 2wd 4.6 with 250k miles on it. It's on it's last leg. I also have a donor 1999 5.4 partly4x4 expedition with 100k miles on it and a brand new transmission with only 10k on it. My question is can I pull the expedition 5.4, have it rebuilt(possibly with performance parts) while still driving my f150, and then drop the 5.4 and into my truck? I have posted a thread and been doing my research for weeks but my ole girl is starting to get tired so it's time to get serious and spend some money.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 AM

I just finished the swap on my 2000 F150 4x4 and have a few questions. I completed the swap without a donor. Does anyone have a diagram of all the hose locations (iac, throttle body, rear intake manifold, power brake booster check valve, air box, etc). I'm confident I have them connected accurately but want to make sure. The engine idle rpm is around 600 but it continues to surge up and down quite a bit and stalls occasionally while driving. I am getting the PCM tuned this week and was curious if the program will resolve this issue or do I need to look for something.

Thank you JMC for all the great information.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes