Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Old 07-14-2011, 03:42 AM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Originally Posted by 79rocket
          You can use the harness and ECU from the 4.6 truck, just leave it in, but you will have to have the ECU reflashed (tuned) to the 5.4 engine. The 5.4 will have a coil over plug (COP) ignition system, but you can use the coil packs that are in the 4.6 truck if you have them, if you already have COP ignition then you're set. A/C compressor can be reused, but check if the donor engine and the 4.6 have the same number of ribs on them. Motor mounts are the same. I can't help you out with the torque converter question, as mine was a standard, but if you read back through this thread a few times, all of your questions have already been answered through other people asking them. Good luck.
          okay thank u very much u have been a great help this makes more sense easier to understand all i need is a motor i have on top coil packs so everything shoiuld match up fine

The following users liked this post:
          Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Originally Posted by mmacak
          Im confused just got another lifted f150 had a 99 it had 5.4 im looking to swap in a 2000 f150 4x4 lifted with a 6" fabtech lift
          it has 4.6 i wanna swap in a 5.4
          i understand following

-can use same tranny (do i need a new torque converter?)
          -do i need new mounts for engine and i know from what uve said i can use a 5.4 from a 97-99 f150 with 5.4 triton can i go up to a early 2000??? just wanna make sure i get correct motor

-electrical wise can i use the same mine has the individual coil packs that go over the spark plugs.....do i need to do anything to wiring harness to make it work?

- can i use the air intake
          -can i use the a/c compressor?
          -can i use evrything on top of motor just swap in the motor bassically ???throttle body ect???? tell me all u can please greatly appreciate it

My truck is a 2000 ford f-150 has the 4.6 v8 its 4x4 it was manufactured in 12/99 so im guessing it has non pi-heads can u tell me what pi means ?? this is first motor job ive done ive done everything else i dont take ionformation from book or writting very good ....so i have to ask several questions i wanna make sure i get all i need so i order and get the stuff i need can u tell me exactly what i need make me a list if possible id greatly appreciate it

anyone in the indiana area willing to help me lol be awesome but if not thats okay too i can figure it out and do it
          Originally Posted by mmacak
          okay thank u very much u have been a great help this makes more sense easier to understand all i need is a motor i have on top coil packs so everything shoiuld match up fine
          I'm glad that i was able to help, if you have any more questions just post them up here, i had lots when i did mine and everyone here is very knowledgeable and willing to help.
          PI heads are performance improved, power improved, whatever you want to call them, just a different head design that's more efficient. I believe they run @ the same compression though, not 100% sure.
          You use the same intake manifold that comes with the 5.4, i don't believe they are interchangeable, on my 5.4 the plenum is plastic, on my 4.6 it was cast (if i remember correctly). If you are referring to the air intake system though, you can just use the original one that came with the truck, there's really no difference.
          If you have any more questions throw them up, but like i said i have no experience with the auto tranny on this swap, as mine was a standard.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 AM
          Thanks to all, especially JMC. This is my first post on eng swap for a 97 F-150 Lariat, 4.6, 4x4, automatic from a 2000 F150, 5.4, 4x4, automatic. I'll be more detailed later. For now, I've swapped out the eng, trans, xfer case, pcm, & eng bay wiring. I tried to fire it up yesterday with no luck. I noted the fuel rails didn't pressurize so I attemped to change the instrument panel....different connectors. That's basically where I stopped and came back to read all the notes. If I'm correct, the eng won't start because of PATS. The short answer is I need someone to come to my home to disable PATS to start it, then tune it. The long answer for other reasons I'll discuss later is I may have to get an eng bay wiring harnest from a 97-98 with a 5.4. If so does that vehicle have to be a 4x4?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          I never checked the pinouts from the different years let alone the different models so I cannot say if it has to be from a 4x4. I do know for a fact, as you have proven, is that you need the complete vehicle harness to install a PATS into non PATS vehicle. Did you change the harness that goes through the bulkhead between the brake booster and the driver side fender? If you did not change that then you can use any 4.6 engine harness for your model year. That would also explain why the fuel pump did not prime. Do you still have the 4.6 PCM? If you do not then you will need a PCM. At this point you might as get a 5.4 PCM and harness. It should be one from a 4x4 as those have a second shift strategy for 4Lo.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 PM
          Thx for the response. I installed the 2000 F150 5.4 PCM and eng bay wiring up to that bulkhead. The donor F-150 is a 4x4. My intent is to run it with the COP. I had to change the ABS control & Power Train Fuse Boxes to make the 2000 eng bay harness work with only two minor unsolved issues. The fog light connectors are different and my 97 had two additional connectors on each side below the A/C condensor. The connectors are identical on both sides, I have no idea what they do. I wasn't worried about the fog lights, I can splice my old ones on. Once I saw that the harnesses were a little different, my plan was to just get it running with what I have, then search for a 97-98 F-150 5.4 donor for the correct eng bay wiring and PCM to install next summer. When you say I need the complete vehicle harness, that's to make PATS work in a Non PATS vehicle...right? With what I have, I've called for a technician to come out and disable PATS so I can start, and tune it. I don't need the complete vehicle wiring harness for that...do I?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          The 2000 PCM needs to link up with the instrument cluster. If the 97 cluster is used it cannot link so it doesn't start. Disabling the PATS will help and it might start. The 97 cluster will never work. The speedo, engine temp and the tach signal come from sensors. The 2000 cluster receives these signals from the PCM.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 AM
          Understood! Things that make you go huumm...but I'm glad you told me. My next dumb question is you mentioned earlier that I need the complete vehicle harness. Is it possible that I only need to add whatever part of the harness that comes from the bulkhead to instrument cluster? I'm saying this with no idea how all the wiring under the dash is layed-out. I still have the donor truck. I'm really stretching here!

Charlie G

Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          2000 f150 4.6 triton>5.4 triton

Originally Posted by JMC
          Notes for 4.6 to 5.4 swap Part 1 Revised 28 January 2011
          Application: These notes cover the F-150 from 1997 to 2004 Heritage model years.

Cylinder Heads: The following info applies to the F-150 and not any other vehicle engine.
          4.6 Engine: The 4.6 engine had Non Pi Heads from 1997 to 2000. The Pi heads were introduced to this engine for the 2001 model year.
          5.4 Engine: The 5.4 engine had Non Pi Heads from 1997 to 1998. The Pi heads were introduced to this engine for the 1999 model year.

Exhaust: The collectors on the exhaust manifolds are set at different angles and locations. The 4.6 exhaust might not bolt up to 5.4 manifold. You may need to have a muffler shop modify your 4.6 exhaust to match up.

Ignition: All 5.4 engines use Cop ignition. . 2000 and later 4.6 use COP ignition. 1997-99 4.6 engines use coil packs. It is easier to wire your 5.4 using the harness from the 4.6 and use the 4.6 ignition coil packs if applicable. If you use the 4.6 Coil pack ignition you will have to fab a bracket for the driver side coil pack.

Engine harness: To use a 4.6 PCM to run a 5.4 engine: The IAC harness must be relocated to the rear of the throttle body elbow. The oil sender wire on the 4.6 may be too short so measure or test fit the harness to see if it must be extended. All 97-00 and some 2001 4.6 engines use some sort of intake manifold runner control valve. Remove it from the 4.6 and plug it into the 4.6 harness and bolt it to the engine some where out of the way. Note; you can get a tune to remove its function and eliminate it all together.
          All 97-98 4.6 engines use an Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) and an Engine Coolant Temp sender. By the 99 Model year the ECT was dropped in both the 4.6 and 5.4 harness as the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT) was used for the PCM to monitor coolant temps. None of the 00+ 5.4s use ECT sensor or sender. Some of the 99 5.4s still use the sender to feed info to the instrument cluster. You will have to tap the intake manifold crossover pipe to fit the sensor(s) if your 4.6 has them and the 5.4 doesn’t.

Transmissions: the 4.6 and 5.4 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. That means that all the transmissions will bolt up. All the 5.4 engines have 8 bolt crankshafts. Some 4.6 engines (ROMEO ENGINE) have 6 bolt cranks. You will need the flex plate from the 5.4.
          Manual transmissions: If you don’t have an 8 bolt flywheel a flywheel from a 1997-8 4.6 Windsor engine will work. As it has 8 bolts it will bolt right up to the 5.4 crank. Remove the flex plate spacer and install a pilot bearing from a 4.6.

Special note about the different automatic transmissions and their respective harnesses. You cannot run a 4R100 transmission with a PCM that had a 4R70W transmission and vice versa. The transmission harnesses are different and will not plug into the different engine bay harness. The control functions in the PCM are not compatible so the transmission will not function properly.

Torque Converters:
          4R70W
          ENGINE............Stall Speed............Multiplication
          4.2..................1978-2330...............2.3:1
          4.6..................2105-2505...............2.3:1
          5.4..................1830-2190...............1.9:1

4R100
          All Engines......??????....................2.2:1

If you swap a 5.4 into a 4.6 engine bay and use the 4.6 converter you will multiply the 5.4's torque at a higher rate and at a higher stall speed which will put the torque at the transmission input shaft close to the limit if not over the limit of the 4R70W. The 99+ 5.4 produces 350 ft/lbs of torque. 90% of that is available at 2000 rpm. The stall speed of the 4.6 is above the 2000 rpm range so more than 90% is available. 350 ft/lbs x 2.3(4.6 multiplier) x 90% is 724.5 ft/lbs.
          I talked to about the swap i found a motor its from a 1997 f150 4x4 with a 5.4 triton will this work it has coil pack on top like mine will this work on my 2000 f150 4x4 that has a 4.6 triton that has coil packs on top will this work with my factory wiring and still allow everything to work properly including the electric odometer the 97 i believe have a roll wheel style odometer?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:04 PM
          mmacak,

Please email me offline at cgilmore@satx.rr.com. I'm interested in parts from your donor truck.

Thx, Charles

Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 PM
          P401 code

I'm getting a p401 code fairly steadily now, and i understand that this is usually due to a bad DPFE sensor. I used the aluminum one that was originally on the 4.6, Should i be using the plastic one from the 5.4 ( i think i still have that one somewhere).
          I did a voltage test on it engine running, and i'm getting around 5v on both the DPFE pin, and the VREF pin. would the 5.4 sensor work in place of the 4.6's, or do i need to replace/try to clean out the aluminum one? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS-also getting the p1000 code, but from what i understand this code doesn't really mean much.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 AM
          97 F150 4.6 to 2000 5.4

I just want to report I started it up last night, but shut down work because it was late. Faced with changing all the wiring behind the console or changing all the engine bay and eng wiring back to the 4.6 coil pack, I decided to recheck the wiring diagrams to see if it might start by swapping the 5.4 PCM back to the 4.6 PCM. Looked like it would work. So I swapped them and it started up with the 2000 COP eng wiring. Its running bad so I've combed back through all of this thread to look for possible problems. In the morning I plan to (1) see if the 5.4 MAF (which some clown cut off) will work better than my old 4.6 MAF I'm using (even though I know it can be tuned); (2) checkout the IAC; and (3) look into the ECT & CHT functions. My eng & eng bay wiring is 2000 so I assume the 4.6 PCM will just need to be programed to only use the CHT.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 PM
          hello all, newb here. altho i used to be on a diff site quite often. any way, i have a 98 f150 4.6 windsor and purchased a 99 5.4 vin L today for a wopping $346 with torque convertor. so my main concern is the pinout thing ive read on here about. other than extending wires for the oil sender . what other wiring mods are need in the particular swap? sorry for the question but it kinda runs all togther after i read this wealth of knowledge so many times. JMC you are the man by the way!

Last edited by bink98xcab; 08-27-2011 at 11:35 PM.
          Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
          has anyone posted or took any pics of the mods that are needed for the swap?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 AM
          hey newb here, sorry if im asking a stupid question but if i have a 05 f150 4.6 and want to swap to a 5.4 will i need to replace the tranny, or rear?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM
          ok i have the motor installed and running,(very rough) wont idle. but i have wires that the rats got while it set for 3 years. another question , are the starters the same? mine sounds really tight for some reason. another thing is. the belt for a 5.4 will not work with the ac and powersteering from my 4.6 , i had to get a 98 4.6 belt to make it work.

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes