Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          The factory torque converters stall at different rpm. Where did you find the same part number?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Originally Posted by JMC
          The factory torque converters stall at different rpm. Where did you find the same part number?
          advanced auto part auto zone and performance automotive all show the same exact part number and i have well over 7 thousand miles now,i waited to post this to make sure i had no issues and it really seems to b fine but i havent done any hardcore off roading just a couple muddy job sites

Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 PM
          JMC

I based my notes on Ford Shop Manuals not Parts Stores. I would be curious to find out the torque multiplication numbers and the stall speeds from these stores.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
          Originally Posted by JMC
          I based my notes on Ford Shop Manuals not Parts Stores. I would be curious to find out the torque multiplication numbers and the stall speeds from these stores.
          i really appreciate all the info i got from your research it was a big help but i wasnt going to spend the extra money on a convertor from my local retailers that had the same #'s i have yet to search the ford part #'s,, i also want to add that this is a 200,000 miles + transmission and a non pi 97 5.4 in a 97 4.6 truck

Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 PM
          Hi, been following all these 5.4 swap threads as I'm getting ready to do mine. However, I seem to be coming across conflicting information so posting this.

a) 2005 4.6L 2v needs compatible 5.4L 2v from 2005 to .... ? All the swaps I've read about seem to be pre-2000 original vehicles with newer engines post-2000. I haven't come across any threads with someone post-2000 putting a post-2000 5.4L into their truck. For example, someone with a 2006 F150 4.6L 2v swapping to a 2007/2008 5.4L 2v (or 2000-2005 5.4L 2v or a 1999 5.4L 2v as it has forged internals).

EDIT: After reading this a bit later, something seemed wrong to me. Re-read a few links and discovered the last 2v 5.4L was 2004. Everything 2005 onward is 3v which I read is a totally different beast of a swap. Is it possible to slap a 2004 or older 5.4L in?

b) I need the torque convertor from the 5.4L donor. Unsure about original swap notes by OP. If I use the TC from the 4.6L it'll have higher stall rates putting more stress on the original transmission eventually leading up to transmission detonation?

c) I keep the PCM from the 4.6L for PATS reasons and then get the 4.6L PCM tuned for 5.4L settings. Original comment say local tuner. How do you find such a person in the phone book? Where would I start?

d) If 5.4L donor has wiring harness, great. If not, need to keep wiring harness from 4.6L which will need some modifications regarding length, possibly pin-out differences, etc?

e) If I can get the original transmission from the 5.4L donor, do I keep the donor 5.4L PCM or still have the original 4.6L tuned. It seems the former to me. Will I need a different driveshaft if I swap the tranny as well? My owners manual says I have a 4R70E, trans code A on door pillar.

If this should be somewhere else in the forums, I apologize.

Last edited by ChrisF1502k5; 09-18-2010 at 07:51 PM.
          Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 PM
          When I swapped my 4.6 out for a 5.4 the TC I got was from a 4r100 and my trans is a 4r70w so not having a large budget (college student) I ended up using the TC that was originally behind my 4.6. The motor I swapped in was a 5.4 from a 98, and my truck was a 98 as well.

I've been driving this truck 5.4 with 4.6 TC for a while now (about 90 days) with no issues. I average about 21mpg on highway and 16mpg town. truck is a 4x4 reg cab long box.

If my tranny does grenade I will post for all to know if/when it happens. It should be noted my trans 4r70w was fully rebuilt by amco about 1k before this swap.

Best of luck to all who go this route.

Also as bizarre as this may sound the 5.4 a got had the intake control runner valve on the lower intake manifold. I thought this was only on 4.6 triton motors? I can take some pics and post them up if anyone doubts that this is possible. However it made my swap easier as I didn't have to plug it in and leave it hanging off my motor and then get a tune to remove its function.

Also the plugs i installed during my swap where autolite iridium with nickel plated threads. about 400 miles after swap I picked up a bad misfire on the cylinder closest to passenger firewall. turns out that the electrode was bent off to one side. (factory defect) I took it back to Napa only to have them tell me they wouldn't exchange. So if you buy this type of plug double check them before install. I think they are about $8 each.

And finally, this is long overdue, THANK YOU to everyone that helped my ignorant butt through this swap. I couldn't have done it without you.

Last edited by shockey; 09-18-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: information.
          Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
          Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
          recently bought a 2001 lightning longblock without the supercharger, but i am going to piece together a s/c setup for it. first and main question is, can i use my 2001 4.6 wiring harness for the 5.4 l engine?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
          torque converters are different. I'm in the middle of this swap. Parts guy must have tapped the wrong button on his fancy fancy computer. jmc has this down correct. A couple things I will add so far...
          Like JMC said
          All 97-98 4.6 engines use an Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) and an Engine Coolant Temp sender. By the 99 Model year the ECT was dropped in both the 4.6 and 5.4 harness as the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT) was used for the PCM to monitor coolant temps. None of the 00+ 5.4s use ECT sensor or sender. Some of the 99 5.4s still use the sender to feed info to the instrument cluster. You will have to tap the intake manifold crossover pipe to fit the sensor(s) if your 4.6 has them and the 5.4 doesn’t.
          You will need a Cut Thread Taper Pipe Tap-3/8"-18 NPT to tap the crossover.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM
          Originally Posted by JMC
          I had this saved, its for a 2004 model year, but has some good p/ns

http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=75

Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
          Originally Posted by novsun88
          torque converters are different. I'm in the middle of this swap. Parts guy must have tapped the wrong button on his fancy fancy computer. jmc has this down correct. A couple things I will add so far...
          Like JMC said
          You will need a Cut Thread Taper Pipe Tap-3/8"-18 NPT to tap the crossover.
          i looked it up myself online at autozone and advanced auto and i have logged many miles most recently a car trailer from maryland to michigan with a car on it,not any promblems

Old 10-28-2010, 04:40 PM
          JMC

Originally Posted by fastford4x4
          i looked it up myself online at autozone and advanced auto and i have logged many miles most recently a car trailer from maryland to michigan with a car on it,not any promblems
          The fact that you logged many miles without incident still doesn't exclude the possibility of transmission failure because of the use of a 4.6 converter with a 5.4 engine. I will not put people at risk of failure just because you have been successful with a your converter. Continue to advise people to use the 4.6 converter and when a transmission fails you can explain why it should not have happened.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM
          Question on 4.6 to 5.4

I have a 2003 f150 with a 4.6 and 160,000 miles and auto trans.I tow a 7000lb trailer and the 4.6 isnt cutting it anymore.
          I would like to swap a low mileage used 5.4 and would like to know what year donor engine and what the engine code would be. It looks like there are possibly two different engines that would work?
          Thanks for any help.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 PM
          JMC

Check the 8th digit of your VIN and use that.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM
          Originally Posted by fastford4x4

It will work but not correctly... The stalls are different. As said before. Check out Dacco's webiste. The 5.4 converter is different. Please refer to my link I posted from TCCoA.. It has ford part numbers. For reference I will quote the site.

Part number 3L3P-7902-AC will have a black paint code
          This is the 5.4 liter converter it has a 110k stall factor and is the lowest stall ford puts behind 4r70w transmissions.It also has a large lockup piston.

Part number 3L3P-7902-CB will have a lime paint code
          This is the 4.6 liter truck converter it has a 145k stall factor and also has the large lockup piston.

Part number 3L3P-7902-BC will have a purple paint code
          This is the 3.8 liter car converter it has a 145 k stall factor and has a small lockup piston.

Part number 3R3P-7902-AB will have a orange paint code
          This is the 4.2 liter truck converter it has a 165k stall factor(the highest stall built).
          It has the small lockup piston as well.

Part number 4W1P-7902-AA will have a green paint code
          This is the 4.6 liter car converter it has a 160k stall factor and is the 11&1/4 diameter converter. It also has the small lockup piston (the big one doesn't fit in these converters anyway).

The marauder converters i order everyday from ford i am using part number 2W3Z-7902-AARM it should be the same as 4W1P-7902-AA. they also have green paint code.
          Any 11&1/4 converter with a green paint code on it should be internally brazed.
          The unbrazed ones had pink paint on them.
          These converters cost me 159.25+tax and a core is required

Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 PM
          Transmission

Excellent thread! I have a transmission question that i would like to ask you. I currently have a 1998 supercab 4x4 with the 5 speed manual, 4.6. I have a burnt valve in the #2, and ive been exploring switching up to a 5.4 instead of doing a valve changeout. My main question is, will the 5 speed hold up to the additional torque of the 5.4? I know that the 5 speed seems to be the weak point in these trucks, hence the lower towing capacity. I noticed that you also have the 5 speed, and are also running a forced induction setup on it. Is your transmission stock? Have you run into any problems with it? I plan on still doing some towing with this unit, mainly a boat which pushes it right to the limits of it towing capacity. Thank you very much for any input.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes