Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:09 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an image of a 5.4 intake manifold, maybe it will help

Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 AM
          Originally Posted by JDCoon
          Hey, I'm new to the forum. I have been searching online for some help with a motor swap I am performing. This thread is full on great info and I hope you guys can help me out with a few questions.

I recently took on a project for a friend. He brought me his 98' f150 extended cab truck that originally had a 4.6L with the coil pack type ignition. The truck had another shop install a 99+ 5.4 lightning motor and 4r100 transmission but was not finished or wired up.

Here are a few facts and questions i have:

The truck has the original pcm & fuse box harness

They used the factory Lightning engine harness and it appears to have the factory lightning transmission harness also.

I have a factory lightning under hood fuse box and harness.

What i ran into is the ford lightning engine harness has two plugs that go into the pcm harness. The original 4.6 only allows the one 42 pin plug and not the 16 pin.

The ford lightning fuse box and pcm harness doesn't plug into the fuel pump harness beneath the cruise control module and i do not have the lightning fuel pump harness or ABS system

I am completely stumped and some advice on what i need to get this thing running with the stock lightning engine and 4r100 trans

Update on this post:

The truck would not run correctly with that extra plug not having a mate, that plug controls the coil packs to each individual cylinders along with a couple of other things.

I swapped the fuse box and its harness to one from a 98 with a N/A 5.4, this allowed it to crank and run on all 8 cylinders using the Lightning ecm. Unfortunately I had a ton of codes. From here I swapped out the supercharged 5.4 engine harness out with one from a 98 N/A 5.4 and found the matching ecm as well.

Now the truck will crank, run and shift all the gears of the 4r100 trans, only problem I see now is getting the speedometer to work.

In the next few weeks I will be taking the truck to get dyno tuned and adjusted for the bigger injectors and MAF. Thanks for all the help

Old 06-04-2015, 01:08 PM
          Now there are adapters to allow the 4.6L intake to be bolted to the 5.4L engine.
          This sounds like the best solution, just swap the longblocks and keep everything else from the 4.6L.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv120.htm

Last edited by cobramarty; 06-05-2015 at 07:49 AM.
          Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 PM
          I recently started a thread about swapping and expedition 5.4 into my 4.6 f150. I was pointed to this thread by GLC and after reading through it twice my question still stands. Will the 99 5.4l engine from the expedition work with my 2000 f150? The expedition is 4x4 and my truck is 2wd. If the engine will work, could I rebuild it with performance parts(forged Pistons, etc) and use my 4.6 transmission?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:16 AM
          Yes a 99 5.4 engine will work in a 00 f150 that originally had a 4.6L

You can build it with all the good performance parts. Just your computer will need to be tuned to run those parts.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 PM
          Originally Posted by JDCoon
          Yes a 99 5.4 engine will work in a 00 f150 that originally had a 4.6L

You can build it with all the good performance parts. Just your computer will need to be tuned to run those parts.
          Should I just rebuild the 5.4 engine(meaning no upgraded parts; stock internals) and put a supercharger on it? What is the most cost efficient route to have a new engine with more power than stock?

Old 06-25-2015, 05:48 PM
          I am so impressed with the TFS PI heads and shorty headers. I would change the heads and exhaust and be done with it. Power gains with the heads is across the board.
          1/8 throttle is like 3/4 throttle before even out of boost.

Depends with what you are going to do with the truck.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 AM
          Originally Posted by tsteve25
          Should I just rebuild the 5.4 engine(meaning no upgraded parts; stock internals) and put a supercharger on it? What is the most cost efficient route to have a new engine with more power than stock?
          If you plan on adding a supercharger then you should def upgrade to some forged pistons and good rods which won't cost you that much more over a regular rebuild.

If no boost you can just run the stock motor and throw a good set of long tube headers on it, higher stall convertor, and custom tune.

Really depends on your budget and just how much more power you want..

JD

Old 08-16-2015, 05:01 PM
          aviator 4.6 to what yr 5.4

Hi im new to the forums here and i been following this thread.
          I had a question in regards to the swap. I have an 03 lincoln aviator that i want to swap since my motor with a little over 240k just gave up on me.so my question is can i use the 5.4 off any 03 04 f150 or expedition... Or do i have to use the older 5.4 Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM
          I appreciate all the posting on everything on the 4.6L to 5.4L swap. I changed the oil in my 97 with a 4.6L two days ago and noticed the water reservoir was black, after opening the cap I found oil. But it gives me an excuse to change in the 5.4L. It has the 4R70W in it now and I'm wondering what converter I should put in? I believe everything else will work? Its a 2WD. Obviously going to a PI 2V motor. Hopefully I can find one out of a 99 for the coolant temp sending units on the intake. If you could help me out I would really appreciate it!

Old 09-07-2015, 12:05 PM
          4.6 swap for my 5.4

I have a 2002 Ford F-150 4.6 part truck I bought and I have a 1997 Ford F-150 with 5.4 (daily driver) I wanna swap 4.6 and trany any serious problem I might have

Old 09-08-2015, 12:21 AM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          Why swap a lesser engine?

Old 09-27-2015, 11:19 PM
          Question 5.4 Navigator Engine

Ok Guys.....I have a 1998 F-150 3 Door BASE model 4WD, 5 Speed manual tranny, 4.6 L Triton engine. Truck looks pretty good, drives good and tranny and drivetrain seem tight (only had it for about a month). Problem is, the engine runs like CRAP. Has had misfires in CYL 3 and 4, along with a upstream O2 sensor fault on the RH bank. Engine smokes and has very poor power at low rpm (below 2000). Yesterday, when I was driving it home (and because I"M STUPID) I ran it VERY LOW on oil. Put about 3 1/2 to 4 qts back in it, but the rattle deep inside comes out when she is warmed up. I know, I know....give me all the crap you want.....been kicking myself too.

SO, I found a local guy here who has a 1999 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 engine with around 115,000 on it. I also have a fella who has a 97 4.6 with 135 on it. Both will fit the truck, I know....the question is.....would it be worth my time to put the Navigator engine in the truck, instead of the standard 4.6. I"m not looking for huge power, or even more performance.....just looking for a good dependable vehicle, and trying to figure out which way to go......Any and all advice would help......

Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM
          I know this will seem harsh, but if you have that much @$&! up on your truck now and haven't fixed it, you probably will own nothing but a rolling money pit after trying to do a swap.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:10 PM
          I have 97 5.4 and a 97 4.6

Hii i have a 97 4.6 liter automatic trans and a 97 5.4 automatic trans but the 5.4 is 4*4 does the transmission stay the same or i need to change the trans to ? I wanna put the 4.6 liter in the place from the 5.4 liter

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes