B&M ShiftPlus electronic shift improver install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-1999, 01:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
B&M ShiftPlus electronic shift improver install

I just bought one and am curious to hear where you folks are: splicing into the trans wires, mounting the controll unit, and passing the wires through the firewall. Also have you felt how hot the little box on the cable gets. A guy at work has the unit on his 94 Bronko, and it gets so hot on the #2 setting you can smell melting plastic! He called B&M and they said "it's normal".I guess they are serious when they say to mount that box in ventilated area.

Old 07-05-1999, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You also have to be careful not to use the firmest setting all the time. Most of those types of units will come with a warning telling you not to use the firmest setting for prolonged periods of time.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 07-28-1999, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent - I have the Jet version of this shift upgrade in my '95 F-150 5.0. I mounted it on the dash just to the left of the steering column and ran the wires through a hole I drilled in the firewall just to the driver's side of the steering column. I routed the wires along the transmission wires and spliced the wires right at the connector that connects to the transmission. The Jet unit also gets very hot. The direcion also told me not to use the firmest setting all the time. I do notice a difference in shift firmness with the box.

Mike - I am considering installing a Superchip. Does the Superchip control the shifting firmness as well, making this box redundant?

Thanks,

Strohm

Old 07-29-1999, 10:09 AM
I don't understand why it recommends not using the firmest setting all the time. It seems that would give lower tranny operating temp since there is less slip.

------------------
99, XL, SC, SB, auto, 4.6L, 255x70R16, 3.55LS, 2wd, Med Tor, Dk Grph, LoRider Tonneau

Old 08-15-1999, 04:16 PM
If the shift kits increase line pressure, you may be stressing the seals. If they fail(like mine did) It could cost you $1200, As mine did.

Old 08-15-1999, 05:35 PM
I'm worried about warranty issues with the shift improvers.

Walt-
Was your rig under warranty ?

Quick Reply: B&M ShiftPlus electronic shift improver install