1997 F-150 4.2 L engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2000, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1997 F-150 4.2 L engine

I recently had a major problem with the 1997 4.2 L engine. During start up the loudest clacking noise began and after a $400.00 tow and another tow to the mechanic of choice I now know that the head gasket leaked coolant into the cyclinder and when I tried to start the engine a broken piston and bent push rod resulted. My engine is not part of the recall for the timing chain cover and I will foot the bill for the engine work since I have 52,000 miles on the truck. Up to this point I was a walking ford advertisement. I am now considering selling after overhaul and buying Japan. The real problem I have is there is no real reason for the failure and I can't be sure it won't happen again. Hope no one else has suffered similar problems but wonder if this is not a common problem (since the same thing happened to the Windstar .

Phil

Old 05-27-2000, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a common problem with the '97 4.2s. Go to your dealership and see if Ford will pay some of the bill for repairs. Ford is aware of the problem.

Old 05-28-2000, 09:04 PM
You should be covered by the recall. I'd try phoning another dealer or somebody higher up in the food chain at Ford (district rep?).

Don't give up. Ford is trying to rebuild their "service" reputation, I hear.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 limited-slip. CD, remote entry, factory side steps, FORD box liner.

My third F-series: '73 F-100 Custom 240-cube 3-speed, '98 F-150 XL-SC 4.2 5-speed, and '00 F-150 XLT-SC 4.2 5-speed. GREAT trucks!

Old 06-04-2000, 09:27 PM
Red face

dear phil,
sorry to hear about your bad luck.
you are just another unfortunate owner
of a '97 f150 with a 4.2. i also had
serious motor problems. mine failed at
47,000 mi. it had a gasket recall.
i took it in, they replaced it and the
very same day i took it home it developed
a severe engine knock. i took it back to
the dealer and they said the motor would have to be replaced. i had to wait about
7 weeks to get the motor because it was on back order. on "back order" what does that
tell you? i got my truck back and it runs
fine. and i did not pay one red cent for
any of the repairs! so this is why i am telling you that you need to get with your
service manager and have a stern word with
him to see if you can resolve this at no cost
to you. i have read and talked to many others
that had this same problem and have gotten
thier trucks taken care of with no problems.
other than alot of agrivation and feeling
sick about buying a ford, after you have been
a loyal owner for many years.
the motor they put in my truck is a
"quality renewal". but it seems to be a
good one. i have done some reading and reserch and it seems that ford is having
serious problems with many of thier power plants. hence the name "power joke" (power
stroke diesel). the 5.4 and v10 owners have
also had some problems. what ever happened to
the good ol' winsor and cleavland's oh well.
time to go shopping elsewhere, dodge maybe...
well hope you have good luck, get on 'em

Old 06-04-2000, 10:06 PM
"Major Players" with reputations to uphold treat their 'factory rebuild' or FQR-style refurbs with great care -- often (and from my experience, Usually) using new parts instead of chancing further bad feelings by 'iffy' parts in their refurbs.

There's a fellow on this board who sued rather than accepting such a refurb - despite a (wimpy) warranty on the refurb.

While I share his pain and anger over such treatment on a very new truck, owners with many thousands of miles on their engines probably do better with a refurb than they would with their original engine (if it had not failed).

Bottom line, if the FACTORY/Manufacturer is doing the refurb, it's likely being done to new-component operational standards - but I don't trust my dealer to change the oil.

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 07-01-2000, 04:50 PM
You guys are not alone.Ford is having problems with Winstar 3.8's and there full size 4x4's.I bought my 97 F150 4.2 in Jan. from a ford dealer and in Feb.found coolant in the oil.A friend at work told me about the recall and when I called Ford they sent a tow truck and had it for two weeks.They claim they put a new factory engine in it not a reman.It's now July and so far so good.I'm just afraid of whats going to happed down the road at 50-60,000 mi.They screwed me in the past I hope this makes up for it.Good luck to all owners of fords.

Old 07-21-2000, 12:51 AM
Banned
I caught mine in time and had it recalled. I think it is a good truck.......after you get all the recalls done on it. Ya'll just now scared me I have 48888 miles on mine and now I am wondering what happends if mine is next even after the recall.

------------------
Waldo White

Quick Reply: 1997 F-150 4.2 L engine