tach installation help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-1999, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tach installation help!

Has anyone installed an aftermarket tach in their 1997/up F150? I can't find where to connect the 'green wire' that used to connect to the coil in the old days. That's the one that picks up the RPM signal somewhere in the mass of wires under the hood. The instructions that came with it are useless. Thanks.

Old 09-12-1999, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

No signature so I don't know what engine you have.
On the 99 5.4L you are out of luck unless you go with the Ford instument cluster.
Each plug has its own coil therefore there is no common coil wire to hook up to like the old cars had.
From what I recall the instument panel from Ford isn't too unreasonably priced.
Try posting in "computer chips" it seems all the HP freaks hang out there.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp for components.
Jensen 50x2 RMS for subs.
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?
Columbia SC

Old 09-12-1999, 02:21 PM
Sorry, I have a 4.2L V6 with a 5-speed. I'm guessing it's set up like your 5.4, without a centralized coil. Spent an hour just trying to trace the wires using my dated knowledge of how it should work. I took your advise and posted in 'chips' as well. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-13-1999, 09:01 PM
I found the following in a past post. I followed the directions and it worked.
>snip
The Helm manual does have the info and it's more than a bit expensive. I'll save you the time and money:

The electrical manual shows a pin-48 from the PCM labeled "Tachometer". It's on a 104-pin connector and is identified as "W/PK" which is probably white/pink. This wire then goes to pin 9 on a 40-pin connector on the firewall to the right (when looking at the engine-compartment side of the firewall from the front of the truck) of the power-brake assembly. There are three connectors there, C158 is the top one. On the inside of the cab (up under the dash somewhere) this white/pink wire goes to pin 12 on the instrument cluster. This wire from the C158 connector to the instrument cluster should be the one to connect to. Of course, you also need to connect power and ground to the tach.

Quick Reply: tach installation help!