Tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow mirrors

Hello everyone I am new to the truck community. Just picked up a black 2005 ford F150 FX4/FXT. She is sitting on a 6 inch pro comp lift with 35 inch tall tires. I am now in the market for some towing mirrors and have found a set for a good price. However after reading the description they say that they are manuel. They have the turn signals and puddle lamp on them but no wiring for them. Can the wiring in the stock mirrors be applied to these mirrors? I really don't care about the puddle lamp just the turn signal and power mirror. Thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will be a little bit of customizing.

If you can cleanly disassemble the mirror assembly, and gain access to the wiring, it can be done. I would need to see the tow mirrors to understand the wiring locations and how it can be routed, but here's what I would try:

Get wire splicers. The kind that you just wrap around the existing wires, and the metal blade cuts the insulation and contacts the copper conductor. Add your splice wires, and leave plenty excess.

Drill just a small enough hole for the wires of the tow mirrors to enter the existing mirrors' housing, in as inconspicuous a place as you can. Somewhere not too visible, somewhere that won't be an eyesore. Get a weatherproof DC connector, male and female. Wire one end to the splice wires, and the other to the tow mirror's wires. Put a little blob of RTV sealant or silicone caulk to keep the hole sealed.

Attach the tow mirrors, wire things up, and reattach the mirrors to the door. If you ever have to remove the tow mirrors, simply cut off the connector from the tow mirror's wiring, pull the wiring out, and put another blob of caulk to cover the hole. Need the tow mirrors again? Just razor blade away the caulk and clean it up, re-feed the wires, put on another connector, good to go again.

Mind you, this is all a suggestion, based off of NOTHING. Heh! Until I see the tow mirrors and how they fit to your existing mirrors, this is all just an outline for the idea.

If this doesn't work....

Duct tape.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ If that doesn't work and you screw up the mirrors somehow, you'd be replacing them with a new set. And that time you'd go for the power mirrors. I'd just break out the the $250-$300 for a set of good ones, PTM the mirror caps, and plug and play. You'd have to swap some pins on your mirrors or connections though.

I'd just spring for the power set. I searched for 2 minutes on eBay for a set and they are $165 a pair. Power, Puddle, Turn and Heat.

And not to be rude, but I'm quite sure they don't make non-power mirrors but have turn signals and puddle lamps.

Quick Reply: Tow mirrors