06 F150 5.4 XLT New Owner!!! Have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F150 5.4 XLT New Owner!!! Have some ?'s

Hey y'all!

Please forgive me if I ask some real basic questions here. I am a proud (first) truck owner of a 06 f150 3V 5.4 xlt with 146k. I've tried reading some threads on here about some topics I will bring up, but they seem a bit dated (if that matters?) and I'm hoping for some answers that will suit my situation.

No big problems with the truck and I'm excited to start making it my own.

FIRST....Now the $MILLION question. Should I be spending money on getting a chip to better my power and more importantly mpg's? Now I get it, I bought a truck and already complaining about the mpg, but I would only buy a chip if it were to help in more than one area. Should I worry about getting a chip if I have 146k already on the truck? What should I be looking at, and how much $ are we talking about?

SECOND....Leveling kit. I noticed this truck used to have a braking controller on it so I know that it's been pullin. Want to level the front off 2'. Now getting greedy, is it worth going 2 1/2 or 3? What price difference are we looking at here? I won't have money for new rims/tires right away, would it look wrong?

LASTLY....What cheap fixes/replacements would you recommend for my truck at this time? Thinking of trying the Gotts Mod...anyone have experience? Black paint on my truck is in great shape, but chrome wheels a little ruffed up. Saw a great thread with the use of Dark Gray PlastiDip on rims and thought it came out great. Is it worth trying? Does it come off easily from normal use?

What should be my priority list here, and is there something I am missing that should be included?

Y'all are great, and appreciate any and all feedback. Real excited to get my hands dirty, and hope to share my progress on here!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome!

I have an 06 Lariat Supercrew myself. Here are my thoughts. I've owned this truck since 08 from 50k and now has a 135k.

Chip/tune: Don't get a generic one. Opt for something like an XCAL4 from Justin at VMP Tuning. Expect much improved driveability, power, shifting. $400-500. I wouldn't expect better MPG, but you may get it.

Leveling kit is a must. I'm not sure of the inches; I just had Les Schwab just do it. I do tow a small camp trailer, and the downfall is it does sag my leveled truck somewhat, as I have no air bags.

I'd keep a stock intake with a paper filter. Syn oil every 4-5k. 3 inch pipe from the "Y" back to a single in/single out muffler.

Take the air intake manifold off; clean the throttle body and MAF. If original spark plugs, get those done. Check and replace tranny fluid, both diff lube, and transfer case.

Good luck and enjoy!

Quick Reply: 06 F150 5.4 XLT New Owner!!! Have some ?'s