What kind of bull bar or brush guard??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of bull bar or brush guard??

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum and thought I'd pick your brains a little bit. I know there is a search thread and probably a lot of threads about this already, but I want yall's opinion about my specific truck. What kind of bull guard or brush guard would look best? Right now I'm leaning towards the Hunter bull bar or a Westin, style bull guard. I'm a college kid on a budget, so price does play a part in my decision. Here are some pics of my truck. All the help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks! I'll post some pics later on this afternoon

Last edited by TheRealVirg; 11-03-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 AM
I have always loved the way the Hunter super bull bars look. I think you can find them at truckgeardirect.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Smittybilt bull bars are great and only $150 on Autoanything (after coupon). It's designed just like a Westin, but all black instead of a brushed aluminum skid plate.

Smittybilt light bar would look even better in my opinion, and is only $110. I just took my Smittybilt bull bar off cause I prefer the looks without it.

I have a white 06 XLT that looked pretty darn similar to yours before the lift. So here's some pics with the bull bar:

https://www.f150online.com/g/album/2245474

Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Yeah I like how the hunter bull bar looks too. Gives it a more offroad look. But I think it would look better if I had more then just a leveling kit, and I don't see that happening anytime soon haha. KMAC the smittybilt light bar crossed my mind too, have you seen anyone with it on this forum that I could look up? Because that is definitely an option. Btw, love your ride, definitely one of my favorites that I've seen on the site

Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
I really wish they still made the predator! That looks amazing on these trucks imo. If anyone knows of anyone that is wanting to get rid of one, let me know

Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM

I freakin love the Predator bars too! I also like these:

http://www.n-fab.com/products/sfID1/.../productID/248

Wchamp7 has the Smittybilt bar: He's selling his truck too last I saw on Instagram.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wcha...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAw

Thanks for the compliments too. Once I decide on bumpers and do a retrofit, she's pretty much "done" on the outside . . . Are those paint matched bolts in your grill? Those look cool, and never seen them on a stock grill.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah thos n-fabs are nice too. If I ever decide to go with a 6" lift, I'd probably get one. And yeah they are PTM, I loved the rivet look on the grill, but didn't want spend $400+ for one lol. Got a dumb question for you, how do I respond directly to your comment? Where it shows what I'm replying to in the blue box above it?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:42 PM

True, those bars look better with lifts. I think the Smittybilt bar is best for leveled trucks because it's small and non-invasive, but the bull bar I used to have on mine is good too. That's cool, good job being innovative. Aftermarket grills are so stupid on pricing. They're really cheaply made, yet they range from $300 to $2k . . .

In the bottom right hand corner of each post's box, there's a little box that says "quote." If you click on that, it'll take my post and put in the reply so that both show up in your reply. Like this:

Originally Posted by TheRealVirg
Yeah thos n-fabs are nice too. If I ever decide to go with a 6" lift, I'd probably get one. And yeah they are PTM, I loved the rivet look on the grill, but didn't want spend $400+ for one lol. Got a dumb question for you, how do I respond directly to your comment? Where it shows what I'm replying to in the blue box above it?

Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are your plans for your truck down the road? Do you plan to PTM the bumpers? Black heads?

If not, I'd go with a Westin bull bar "because" of the brushed aluminum bottom. It would tie in real nice with all your chrome. I don't think an all black bull bar would give you the best effect. Besides Westins are way better quality than a Smittybuilt.

Nice looking truck by the way.. I like what you did with the stock grille.. Very creative"

Last edited by tg150; 11-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
True, those bars look better with lifts. I think the Smittybilt bar is best for leveled trucks because it's small and non-invasive, but the bull bar I used to have on mine is good too. That's cool, good job being innovative. Aftermarket grills are so stupid on pricing. They're really cheaply made, yet they range from $300 to $2k . . .

In the bottom right hand corner of each post's box, there's a little box that says "quote." If you click on that, it'll take my post and put in the reply so that both show up in your reply. Like this:
Yeah I agree, its ridiculous. But I appreciate the compliments on it. And thanks! sorry, but again, I appreciate your help.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by tg150
What are your plans for your truck down the road? Do you plan to PTM the bumpers? Black heads?

If not, I'd go with a Westin bull bar "because" of the brushed aluminum bottom. It would tie in real nice with all your chrome. I don't think an all black bull bar would give you the best effect. Besides Westins are way better quality than a Smittybuilt.

Nice looking truck by the way.. I like what you did with the stock grille.. Very creative"
Yeah I thought about that too. I doubt I'll ever paint the bumpers, but I'll probably get black heads soon along with fogged tails. Does the brushed aluminum match the chrome pretty well? and thanks! any way to save a penny

Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Yeah I thought about that too. I doubt I'll ever paint the bumpers, but I'll probably get black heads soon along with fogged tails. Does the brushed aluminum match the chrome pretty well? and thanks! any way to save a penny
Well it's a flat type finish but the black and BA would flow with the chrome a lot better than a solid black one would imo . It's something to think about anyways.. And the quality.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 AM

While I agree that the brushed aluminum "skid plate" would look better, the Westins cost more than twice as much. And I disagree on the quality comment. I'm not biased because I had one, because I took it off (haha), but I thought the quality was pretty good. And I've been impressed with the quality of the myriad of Smittybilt parts I've seen on Jeeps.

Yeah I agree, its ridiculous. But I appreciate the compliments on it. And thanks! sorry, but again, I appreciate your help.
No worries, took me a while to figure everything out! Now see if you can figure out how to quote 2+ messages at one time That one took me months to figure out.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
While I agree that the brushed aluminum "skid plate" would look better, the Westins cost more than twice as much. And I disagree on the quality comment. I'm not biased because I had one, because I took it off (haha), but I thought the quality was pretty good. And I've been impressed with the quality of the myriad of Smittybilt parts I've seen on Jeeps
Your like what 19 years old? Do you ever speak from real world experience or just what you seen? I'm almost 50, I've owned Smittybuilt products dating back to 1990, you weren't even born yet! I have very good experience with the Smittybuilt bullbar, 2 friends of mine have them on there truck, I've seen them age, they've even told me they'd never buy one again. That is why I went with the Westin, and the brushed alum bottom. Sure there more expensive but you get what you pay for. Is that how you built your bare bones XLT? By buying all cheap products for it? I know the OP is on a budget but if he's like me and wants only the best he can wait an extra month to save the difference. Man you type a lot of bull..

Oh and, "duh, haha"

Last edited by tg150; 11-07-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:22 AM

Your like what 19 years old? Do you ever speak from real world experience or just what you seen? I'm almost 50, I've owned Smittybuilt products dating back to 1990, you weren't even born yet! I have very good experience with the Smittybuilt bullbar, 2 friends of mine have them on there truck, I've seen them age, they've even told me they'd never buy one again. That is why I went with the Westin, and the brushed alum bottom. Sure there more expensive but you get what you pay for. Is that how you built your bare bones XLT? By buying all cheap products for it? I know the OP is on a budget but if he's like me and wants only the best he can wait an extra month to save the difference. Man you type a lot of bull..

Oh and, "duh, haha"
Umm that was NOT meant to be inflammatory at all . . . I'm 20, yes, but I've seen dozens of Jeeps with Smittybilt stuff on them that's several years old and they still held up very well. Don't have to be 50 to have been around lots of trucks and Jeeps, and accessories for them. That's ignorant. I can almost guarantee you I've been around a lot more of them in recent years than you have, considering the shear volume I'm exposed to. I'm not talking out of my ***. I've seen PC fade on the Westin steps, brush guards, etc. just like I have Smittybilt. My bull bar baked in the Texas sun for 1.5 years, which isn't long at all, but the finish looks brand new.

Very little of what I do to my truck is "cheap." I spent $1500 in parts on my all-304 SS exhaust because I didn't want cheap carbon steel, bought a Fabtech lift instead of a ProComp or RC, bought Nitto Trail Grapplers instead of junk Federals or even Coopers, paint matched OEM Harley headlights, have OEM tow mirrors, and buy only OEM parts whenever possible. Oh, and I just spent $1100 regearing last night because it's "cheap" to leave stock gears with 35s.

And the Nu Finish thing was a joke. Lighten up. I was not challenging you in any way, just disagree that the Westin was "much better quality." Better, but not twice as good. I've never had a problem with you in the past, we were even joking around together yesterday! So I'm not sure what triggered your little tirade, but I apologize if the language I used in my last post was inflammatory. In fact, I made sure that the words I used and the way I phrased it was NOT inflammatory and made it sound opinionated and not claiming things.

BTW, it's "you're like what," "their truck," and "they're more expensive."

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-07-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: What kind of bull bar or brush guard??