3rd Brake Light - Who Where How

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd Brake Light - Who Where How

Was out drinking with the neighbors in the cul-de-sac and my neighbor turns to me and asks when I busted my light...

I thought well crap . I never noticed. Must of happened in the last week or so.

Anyways. Light is busted. Outter plastic is gone on half of the light. No clue what actually happened.

So where is the place to buy?

Good brands? Go back with OEM?

And I've seen some that says you need to remove the headliner to install. Is that the case for ALL or just a select few? -- Is it difficult to remove headliner and replace?

Worth it to upgrade to LED brake light?

I've also been reading on here that some of the aftermarket brands leak and have issues. Any brands to avoid?

Also saw a few people post that they used RTV or some sort of foam gasket to stop any chance of leaks.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an aftermarket 3rd brakelight from ebay. Been on for about 4 years, no leakage. No removal of headliner, just 2 screws on top and plug and play. Middle is led. outside is regular bulbs.
Name:  9AE38AFE-1C99-4DD5-B367-26349631BA7B.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  83.4 KB

Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Nice. Is that just an eBay type brand or is that a name brand light?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM
I think just an eBay one.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 PM

They take like 15 seconds to take off and it's just those two really long external screws holding it on.

I have the OEM one and don't have any plans to do anything with it, so haven't looked at any aftermarket.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I wasn't really looking either till I noticed it was broke..

I ended up ordering a
 Recon 264124CL LED Third Brake Recon 264124CL LED Third Brake
for $86

Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
I have the recon smoked led 3rd break light and I really like it. Picked it up on ebay.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw this thread and was at work, not to mention my photobucket wanting me to buy bandwidth . I wanted to suggest my 3rd brake light from ebay for $40 some which uses a bright 3rd brake light LED and you can use your own cargo LEDs. I have bright 6000k 18 led bulbs in my cargos. Love it, just wish it was darker. Going to have Brent smoke it if I ever get the taillights for my car to get smoked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-FORD-F150-L-E-D-HIGH-MOUNT-3RD-THIRD-BRAKE-LIGHT-LED-SMOKE-LENS-/300998396520?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item4614e70a68&vxp=mtr
I definitely suggest to anyone buying a brake light, do not buy this kind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-08-FORD-F-150-F150-FULL-L-E-D-3RD-THIRD-BRAKE-CARGO-LIGHT-LED-CHROME-/191118795144?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item2c7f916188&vxp=mtr
It is a full LED board brake light. You uninstall the OEM harness and plug this in. My friend has this and it is oxidized and golden looking, and it is not at all bright. Mine runs circles around his in cargo and brake light.

Shanks, I hope the Recon treats you good! Another thing I love about the 3rd brake light I ordered is I love that it is clear. Not frosted/clouded like OEM Hella 3rd brake light.

EDIT:

Bandwidth is reset! Have a look at my light pics in case you end up dissatisfied with the Recon.
http://s695.photobucket.com/user/Dar...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 04-27-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Darren,

Damn that 3rd brake light you got looks pretty good. Had I not already picked up the Recon on Amazon, I would probably would have purchased that one.

Did you end up just doing a straight swap, or did you have to use any additional sealer? Also did you have to remove part of headliner for install like I have seen?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanks12
Darren,

Damn that 3rd brake light you got looks pretty good. Had I not already picked up the Recon on Amazon, I would probably would have purchased that one.

Did you end up just doing a straight swap, or did you have to use any additional sealer? Also did you have to remove part of headliner for install like I have seen?
You can always return the Recon if your not happy.

Yes, straight up swap. No sealer. It had its own gasket. No moisture ever in it and still works perfect. The LED brake light has a wire with an end just like the bulb. Straight swap. No headliner work. I don't understand why anyone would need to pull the headliner because even if it is one that you unplug the OEM harness you can pull it from the roof. I did it for my bud who I have a cheap 3rd brake light. And seeing how bright his is and how it has held up, i do not recommend the full LED brake light that swaps harness. I only recommend my brake light.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
You can always return the Recon if your not happy.

Yes, straight up swap. No sealer. It had its own gasket. No moisture ever in it and still works perfect. The LED brake light has a wire with an end just like the bulb. Straight swap. No headliner work. I don't understand why anyone would need to pull the headliner because even if it is one that you unplug the OEM harness you can pull it from the roof. I did it for my bud who I have a cheap 3rd brake light. And seeing how bright his is and how it has held up, i do not recommend the full LED brake light that swaps harness. I only recommend my brake light.
I was thinking the same thing. It was actually one of the reviews on the Recon light on Amazon.

Firstly, this product shipped and was delivered in the exact time and in the exact specifications advertised, EXCEPT 1..On the box it says "plug and play", however, it does NOT mention that the plug is back between the headliner and the roof of the truck, to the passenger side a few inches. To access it, I had to reach up under the headliner from inside the truck, which involved pulling the headliner down slightly and (finally) getting it unclipped. I was then able to pull the connector free from the retaining clip and feed it through the hole where the stock light wiring went. After that, plug and play was the truth. I've read on a few F150 sites that most folks ended up breaking the retaining clips to get access to the connector, however if that doesn't sit right with you, then plan on taking part of your headliner down.
And I believe I saw 1 or 2 posts about it on this forum.

But good deal. Now I just need to get someone to help me remove my bed cover to get the thing on. Don't think that cover could hold my butt

Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Pshhh just stand on it over top of the bed side Removing the bed cover is too much work for a 30 seconds light swap haha

Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Pshhh just stand on it over top of the bed side Removing the bed cover is too much work for a 30 seconds light swap haha
Haha, We'll see if my arms are long enough to reach it

Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Well, I doesn't look like I am going to be able to do it from the side/standing in the doors.

According to the instructions, you need to be able look into the opening and pry out a tab and pull at least 6" of wire out.

The plug you need to connect your new Recon light is located back in side the vacant hole in your truck cab and is held in place with a small white clip.

To locate the clip, look up and to the right into the hole left behind after removing your factory installed 3rd brake light. You will see the tip of the white clip protruding through a metal panel. Reach into the hole with a long flat head screwdriver and press down on the clip until it pops out.

Then you simply need to pull on the factory wires until you see the plug that matches your new Recon light.

Then connect the two plugs and reuse the factory screws to tighten down the light.
Sounds like I wont be able to see this from the side.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:41 PM

I meant stand on the very edge of the bed where it's closest to the cab. I'd at least unscrew the thing to get a look at what you'll be messing with. When I've taken mine off, the wires with the bulbs were free once you unplug the bulbs from the housing.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light - Who Where How