2wd leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd leveling kit

Ok guys I just got my first vehicle about last week. It's a 2001 f150 Supercrew. Unfortunately it's 2wd. But I still like the look of it being leveled and I was just wondering what kit I should buy. I'm on a budget so I don't want to get all fancy with a kit. And if anyone would know prices of installation that would be great. Thanks guys

Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's an Autospring kit, but I don't believe they make one for pre-2004. You'll probably want to go with a Daystar. That's what I had on my last truck, a '00, and it was 2wd also. I believe you can get a nice Daystar kit online for around $40-$50. Try Autoanything or 4wheelparts.

If you don't wish to install it yourself, you should be able to find a local 4x4 shop to slap it in there for $100 or so. I don't know about Texas, but we've got no shortage of redneck 4x4 shops here in Florida

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.daystarweb.com/dealerlisting.php?online=1

Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Like he said^, cheapest option is going to be to pick up a leveling kit like the daystar one, you can find them all day on eBay pretty cheap. Just since your going cheap as possible, you can't go over a 2" level, or you'll be adding on an addition couple hundred for aftermarket control arms. So depending on how your truck sits, you may end up with some of the factory rake left.

Install should only take an hour or so, but be prepared if your ball joints or tie rod ends are worn to replace those for when you go to get an alignment after.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Agreed. Upper and lower ball joints are crucial. It's important that they are in good shape, especially with the added strain on the angle of the control arm from the leveling spacer.

Here's an idea of what to expect. My old truck, 2wd with a 2" Daystar level, 285/70/17 tires. No modification to the rear necessary, no rubbing in the front.

Name:  C7F910FD-9BF5-4C04-A4A1-A9C4B62224E7_zpswx7tmf0c.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  75.1 KB

Old 04-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Like he said^, cheapest option is going to be to pick up a leveling kit like the daystar one, you can find them all day on eBay pretty cheap. Just since your going cheap as possible, you can't go over a 2" level, or you'll be adding on an addition couple hundred for aftermarket control arms. So depending on how your truck sits, you may end up with some of the factory rake left.

Install should only take an hour or so, but be prepared if your ball joints or tie rod ends are worn to replace those for when you go to get an alignment after.
I just had my truck looked through and they replaced all my ball joints so will I have to get them replaced again if I put the kit on?! That will kinda suck haha. And with the level what's the biggest tire I could put? I want the wall of the tire to be taller so there's not much space in the fender well

Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Sorry for the double post but I went on daystar and they only have 1.5 and 2.5 so which one should I get if I was to install it myself and which one would a 4x4 shop order if I took it to them?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:36 PM
IF your balljoints and tie rods are shot they'd need to be replaced, not they automatically need to replaced.

Biggest tire size depends on wheels, if stock wheels somewhere around a 32-33x10.50-11.50 would fit in there with possibly some minor trimming of the valence corner.

Since daystar only offers a 1.5 or 2.5 and your trying to save money you need to go with the 1.5". You'd need aftermarket control arms that are longer than the oem ones for the 2.5", otherwise your alignment would get pretty screwy, as would those new ball joints you just put on.

But there is plenty of other companies that make a 2" kit, you don't have to go with a daystar kit, and 2" is the biggest you can go without the need for aftermarket control arms.

If you wondering what height you need to level it, go take a tape measure and measure from the center of the wheel to the highest point in the wheel well. Should give you roughly the difference between front and back.

As for as shop, they're gonna order whatever you tell them too. They may recommend one or another depending on their experience. They may not even sell you a daystar kit depending on who they buy from.

Quick Reply: 2wd leveling kit