Anyone Install OEM Running Boards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Install OEM Running Boards?

Not sure if this is the right forum but I ordered boards for my 2010 Reg Cab XLT. I was going to install then myself. Anyone have experience with these? Are the holes already drilled in the frame and can anyone send me a link with instructions?

Thanks
William

Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
mounts to existing frame hole almost positive, not 100% maybe 98.5%,

Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
running board brackets (how to)

hey wiliam,
i did the same thing for my lariat screw and there are holes there (covered up with black tape from factory) but they aren't threaded or anything like that. if you get the hardware with the boards you SHOULD get 24 bolts (16 for mounting to the chassis and 8 for mounting the bracket to the board), and eight "threaded clips" from ford....BUT you will need to get 8 extra nuts, loctite, and i also got some 1" sheet metal washers. I think i got all stainless so they wouldn't rust. you could also just get 8 more clips from ford but from what remember they were pretty pricey so i accommodated and saved some money by going to the hardware store...

here is a shot of the bracket on my truck, you can see where i pulled away the black tape on the chassis...

ideally, you would just take two of the bolts and tighten them into the top threaded holes already on the chassis, (because your truck wasn't made ready for the running boards, the holes should just be plain)....then you would take the remaining two bolts/clips and "sandwich" them on the bottom of your rocker panel....

since your truck wasn't made for this set-up you have to switch things around...i took the two bolts on top and weaseled the clips behind the chassis and tightened them down. then i took the remaining bolts (along with the hardware store nuts/washers) and "sandwiched" them to the bottom of the rocker panel and tightened them down as well.

pic of final setup....(a little further away)

couple of side notes: 1. i used loctite on everything. 2. i tried to keep the black tape on the chassis the best i could so water, salt, sand, etc. would not get into the chassis and start rust from the inside. 3. everything should line-up like a glove, you shouldn't need to get all the bolts started and fiddle with alignment....

hope this helps, at least you won't have to go around town looking under ford trucks to see how the boards are mounted (like a crazy person, which is what i did!!)....pm me if you have anymore problems, good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Awesome pics I take it you have 4 brackets? Maybe a reg cab has less. Thanks a lot for the help

Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
yeah i got 4 brackets, i'm not sure what yours will have but you get the idea.....

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM
thx wisconsin FXdude

I'm trying to add OEM gray running boards to an XL. The boards are off a King Ranch screw and just trying to spruce mine up. Hoping the brackets fit in the same holes. Anyone done this before with the plastic gray ones? Great pics, very helpful!

Quick Reply: Anyone Install OEM Running Boards?