DIY: Stubby antenna mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Stubby antenna mod

Just thought i would do a tiny write up about an antenna mod that i usually do on all of my cars..

I cant stand long antennas this mod is to shorten you factory antenna but keeping the stock look. This is a VERY easy mod and takes about 5 minutes. It may or may not decrease am/fm reception but i never listen to the radio so it doesn't bother me.

Step one: Determine how short you want the antenna.

Step two: Remove the ball on the end of the antenna. you can do this by holding the antenna with one pair of plires and twisting the ball off with another pair.

Step three: Cut the antenna, I used a pair of heavy duty wire cuters. you can also use a saw, dremel, or other means.

Step four: File the end of the antenna you cut. You need a slight taper on the very tip, I used a dremel with a sanding drum. It dosen't take much. You want it so the ball will barely fit on there. It needs to be a tight fit, this is what hold the ball on.

Step five: Stand the antenna up and place it up right on a solid surface such as concrete or a workbench. place the ball on the top and tap it on with a hammer until it is tight.

Step six: Touch up the antenna with black spray paint and once dry install on the vehicle. (sorry didnt take a picture of it on my F-150 This is the one i did on my dodge.)

=)

Last edited by se7en; 08-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
yes i have pics of it as i did it. I will post them in a little while i have to get them iff of my camera.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Did mine 2 days after I bought my rig. Best mod in my opinion. Mine is flush with the roof line. Perfect but not many people notice it unless you are the type to notice the little things

Old 08-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fm radio waves sine length is 31". Any multiple of this will give best reception, to include the antenna lead length.

Quick Reply: DIY: Stubby antenna mod