How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
With the two layers of automotive masking tape, the newspaper covering a large section of the truck and the cardboard, I did not see over spray on the truck after washing it this weekend. The paint dissipated quickly and the cardboard kept it close to the newspaper. The whole process only took about 3-4 hours and I would definitely do it again.

I removed the running boards before painting them because I thought it would be easier to paint them off of the truck. I will post another thread on the process I used to paint the boards.

KR-Texas
How much of the truck did you actually cover?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Looks great man. I think i would have left the Ovals totally black to add a little contrast...but it looks awesome.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I actually recieved my DSG inlays a couple of weeks ago but was just swampped with work and seeing this thread just made me more motivated to do my badges. I have to aree with Barret about that cardboard, I'm gonna have to steal that idea . Hopefully I can do it this weekend. BTW, how many coats of the Krylon did you use?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Barrett
How much of the truck did you actually cover?
I used one opened-up page of the paper on each side of the badges. It was about a 4 feet of paper, with the badges in the middle. I did not cover the rest of the truck because I knew I was going to be able to contain the over spary with the cardboard.

I pressed the cardboard against the truck surrounding the badge and put the paint can inside of it as I painted. I had to hold the cardboard slightly on an angle to get the edges due to the small size of the box.

KR-Texas

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Looks great man. I think i would have left the Ovals totally black to add a little contrast...but it looks awesome.
When they were all black, you could not see the letters from a distance and it looked like something was missing. I considered doing a black oval with Dark Shadow Gray letters, but I wanted them to blend in more with the surrounding area. I was hoping the black F150 badges would be enough of a contrast...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by radio_flyer
I actually recieved my DSG inlays a couple of weeks ago but was just swampped with work and seeing this thread just made me more motivated to do my badges. I have to aree with Barret about that cardboard, I'm gonna have to steal that idea . Hopefully I can do it this weekend. BTW, how many coats of the Krylon did you use?
I used three coats of paint on the badges and the running boards. The first coat did not look very good and I was a little worried. However, the paint smoothed out after the second and third coats to a nice finish.

KR-Texas

Last edited by KR-Texas; 05-08-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice read!!! alot of good info.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Well hey KR-Texas, first off, your truck looks great !

Secondly, your badges look great !

Thirdly, your tutorial is fine.... (I probably wouldn't take mine off of my truck the next time around either).

Their is one step I did though, that I think would be a good idea for everybody to squeeze in......
Bulldog adhesion promotor "before" paint ! The stuff is available in an areosol spray can (although its sold more often in bulk cans to pro paint and bodsy shops) and it makes paint stick REALLY well, to hard to paint surfaces such as chrome, plastic, even glass. Pretty easy to work with too. Dries pretty quick, and sands easier (doesn't clogg paper as much) than regular paint.

I did my badges with Bulldog. They look perfect now, and I expect them to look great for a LONG time.... the life of the truck ? We will see.

I just wish I knew about Bulldog before I did my grille :-( Didn't use it on it, and have several small chips I need to touch up right now..... and a few more every month.

One day here, I might just yank my black painted Roush grille off the truck, use paint remover on it, clean it spotless, hit it with Bulldog, and repaint it.

Anyway, you guys all need to try this stuff.

Again KR, awesome truck !

Peace,
Fish

Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Looks great! This is on my to do list for sure!!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent results and very informative proceedures. Very nice. Cant wait to do some of this work myself.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Well hey KR-Texas, first off, your truck looks great !

Secondly, your badges look great !

Thirdly, your tutorial is fine.... (I probably wouldn't take mine off of my truck the next time around either).

Their is one step I did though, that I think would be a good idea for everybody to squeeze in......
Bulldog adhesion promotor "before" paint ! The stuff is available in an areosol spray can (although its sold more often in bulk cans to pro paint and bodsy shops) and it makes paint stick REALLY well, to hard to paint surfaces such as chrome, plastic, even glass. Pretty easy to work with too. Dries pretty quick, and sands easier (doesn't clogg paper as much) than regular paint.

I did my badges with Bulldog. They look perfect now, and I expect them to look great for a LONG time.... the life of the truck ? We will see.

I just wish I knew about Bulldog before I did my grille :-( Didn't use it on it, and have several small chips I need to touch up right now..... and a few more every month.

One day here, I might just yank my black painted Roush grille off the truck, use paint remover on it, clean it spotless, hit it with Bulldog, and repaint it.

Anyway, you guys all need to try this stuff.

Again KR, awesome truck !

Peace,
Fish

Thanks for the compliments. I have always like the blackout look of your truck, as well.

I have not heard about Bulldog, but I will do some research on it. It sounds like a good product.

By the way, what color are your inlays? Did you get them from Patriot?

Thanks,

KR-Texas

Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Good job, it should help w/questions

Old 06-14-2009, 07:02 PM
allright, I just got brave and did this. waiting for the badges to dry. pray that they come out right! Thanks KR - your writeup made it much easier

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear you took the plunge!!! Post before and after pictures when you get it all done.

Thanks,

KR-Texas

Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
KR, the emblems look awesome. I plan on doing my badges and rear emblem shortly after my inlays come in. However, I have one question I need help with:

Did you have any problems with the plastic over the oval emblems? I painted my front for the hell of it last weekend and the plastic gave me all sorts of trouble. I ended up having to just sand the hell out of the whole badge with a sander to get everything to work out and i don't want to do it again.

If you have any tips for removing it, that would be great!!! Thanks in advance and I look forward to posting pictures of my own shortly.

Quick Reply: How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)