Faded Bed Rails!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Got my Fusion at WalMart. Supposedly it adheres to the plastic better. Cost the same as a can of spray paint.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question:

My tailgate cap cracked, so I want to replace it. I figure I'll just replace all the rails too while I'm at it. Any idea how much this will cost?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, I ended up going out to buy some Krylon Fusion Satin Black as well as Krylon Crystal Clear. Ended up putting VERY light coats on (5 very light coats of paint, then clear). For whatever reason, I'm not getting the stuff to apply evenly. Very frustrating, but at least worth a try. I tried to lightly sand with some 400 grit this evening and repeated the process, but still no luck.

Needless to say, I'm ready to lay down the $$$ and be done with it. Chris, to answer your question, the tailgate cap looks to be $29.34 on Tascafordparts.com (I have an '04, but I'm pretty sure they're all the same up to '08). I hate to spend $125.00 total just for the side and tailgate bed caps, but mine have looked bad since I bought the truck in April, and something needs to be done.

-Jon

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by JJBravesFan
Well, I ended up going out to buy some Krylon Fusion Satin Black as well as Krylon Crystal Clear. Ended up putting VERY light coats on (5 very light coats of paint, then clear). For whatever reason, I'm not getting the stuff to apply evenly. Very frustrating, but at least worth a try. I tried to lightly sand with some 400 grit this evening and repeated the process, but still no luck.-Jon
I think you may be spraying it on to thin. Try a little heavier coat to get it to self level and make sure it's well cleaned prior so it will stick. I would recommend some Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter. This durable primer provides great adhesion when painting plastic, fiberglass, bumpers and aluminum trim molding and comes in a spray can.

Krazy

Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Use WD40 - I got wax on mine and they looked like I had bird sh*t all over them, tried all kinds of other fixes. The WD40 worked like a charm!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Just be sure to clean the WD-40 off really good before painting.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I use household dish soap to rinse off all my waxes and things. Be sure your using even strokes going back and forth. I've decided to do mine as well. Going to pick up some more Gloss and do them maybe today or tomorrow. I already used gloss Krylon on my valence and wiper cowls. Looks good.

Quick Reply: Faded Bed Rails!!!!