Manik Grille Guard

Old 01-30-2001, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that is cheap, why would anybody wanna buy one of those. Gotta get a Manik, it's the best of the best.

Old 01-31-2001, 03:08 AM
Sorry Mudder, I wouldn't say it's the "Best of the Best". but, It's probably the best of the euro style. There are several out there that are stronger (ex. ranchhand brush gaurd). The problem is they don't follow the lines of the truck.

This is what it takes to break one:

I broke my Manik a while back playin a fool. I decided to leave a parking lot by going over the curb in front me, through the grass, and on to the street. (idot!) I made it on top of the curb but couldn't go any further, so I put more trottle on it... I still didn't move. I put it in reverse and made it about a foot and could go any further. I finally got out of the truck and I found my truck on top of one of those 2 foot tall parking poles (the yellow ones). It was caught between the grill gaurd and my skid plate. I was stuck ( and really looked like an idoit!) I didn't feel like making more of a scene, so I popped it in reverse and gunned it. I had to spin the the tires till the bottom cross-member on the gaurd popped right off. ---------That's what it take to break it!

I considered getting a Ranchhand bumper replacement, but I'm going with the Manik again. They just look good!

cost:
Manik $340, valance $150, skid plate--alot of hammerin out., and about 4 hrs labor (mine of course).

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP styleside, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Towing, 17" wheels and 265 tires.
Mods:
K&N Filtercharger, JVC 50W x4 cd player w/remote, Manik brush guard, 2KC daylighters 150watt, Retrax bed cover, Procomp 33 12.5 x17 All Terrains, K&N catback,
Future mods:
Herculiner, WMS velocity tube, SuperChip, 4-5" suspension lift

Old 01-31-2001, 09:18 AM
I got my guard soley for looks. I doubt my pretty new truck will ever go off-road. I got the 4x4 to tow a boat, and in my experiance in FL, most of the boat ramps here are very slippery. Almost need 4x4 to even get it out of the water without the boat on the trailer. The ramp near my place is about as slippery as they get. That was my reasoning behind the 4x4, not for off-roading. My truck is just a big looker

Old 01-31-2001, 09:59 AM
lamoose1,
Where did you get the Manik for $340?

Old 01-31-2001, 01:24 PM
Wink

The Manik is the best non Ranch Hand. The front end Replacment is awesome, but I would only get it if I had a lift. The Ranch Hand looks kinda weird on a stock truck. Who knows, I might change in the future, after I get my lift on. But the Mank is great.

Old 01-31-2001, 03:49 PM
I've been getting my stuff from Trails' End in Fort Worth ( off 377). They are cheeper than Mike's off-road.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP styleside, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Towing, 17" wheels and 265 tires.
Mods:
K&N Filtercharger, JVC 50W x4 cd player w/remote, Manik brush guard, 2KC daylighters 150watt, Retrax bed cover, Procomp 33 12.5 x17 All Terrains, K&N catback,
Future mods:
Herculiner, WMS velocity tube, SuperChip, 4-5" suspension lift

Old 02-01-2001, 01:43 PM
lamoose1,
I called Trails' End in Fort Worth he only does walk-in business, no shipping. To bad $340 sounds like a good price, but its a little to far to drive from the coast of NC.

Thanks,
Chip Holcomb
chip@beachdive.com
www.beachdive.com

[This message has been edited by beachdive (edited 02-01-2001).]

Old 02-07-2001, 02:20 PM
Thumbs up

thanks for the input guys

I spend a bunch of time in spots where I may or may not put the front end into something nasty and would rather not tear the fenders apart...but I do love the euroguard style. So Manik it is!! can you fit four good sized lights on there without a light bar or will I need to fab one?

Old 02-07-2001, 03:46 PM
Cool

Yea, you can fit four lights on it. The only reason I didn't was that I didn't want to drill holes. Plus i think my off-set lights look good that way.

[This message has been edited by Spargo2 (edited 02-07-2001).]

Old 02-08-2001, 12:36 AM
You may want to check with http://autoaccessory.com about buying the brush guards. They carry a pretty good line of things, and they have some really great prices (compared to a local store, at least around here). They beat my local stores by almost $200 on some things, so I am sure that they would have pretty decent prices on brush guards. Wish I could chime in on the arguments as to which is better, but I don't have a horse in that race.

------------------

Old 02-10-2001, 01:34 PM
Hey folks, I'm in the market for one of these for my KR, what makes the Manik so much better than others? (I saw a GoRhino on a Toyota today that appeared well made, but I'm pretty clueless about this stuff so far...)

Also, when you guys talk about the RanchHand units being even better than the Manik, are you referring to a specific model of the RanchHand? Anyone have the RanchHand Euro Rover Style setup? Or are you talking only about the Multiple-frame mountings model when you say they're better? Are these sort of universally considered the best? (And if so, why?) Thanks much...

-- Jim

Old 02-10-2001, 02:00 PM
Geeky,
The 4wd and 2wd valences have different "rubber" flaps. The one you bought was off of a '00, because I think you bought it from me!! Anyway, I put another 4wd valence on a 2wd and the pattern was different. Doc

------------------
2000 F-150 4x4
4.2L, 5-speed,
3.55 Limited Slip,
reg. cab, short bed,
ORP package (added),
Fog Lights (added),
Super-flip-chipped
...much more to come....

Wife: 2000 Ranger Trailhead Package

Old 02-11-2001, 11:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Manik only comes pre-drilled for 2 lights... any more than that and you have to either drill additional holes, or make up a bracket. Also, the holes that come standard in it will not directly fit the mounts for KC lights... I had to modify a washer to get it through the hole in order to be able to mount the KCs on my Manik. I think in the end, a bracket would have been better for me... I'm starting to get the lighting bug itch...

-Joe-

Old 02-12-2001, 08:57 AM
Cool

HEHEHE.....wasn't me.....

Old 02-13-2001, 12:02 AM
I'm battling a rust problem with KC now.
Just e-mailed them. Waiting for a response. Hahaha...I told them if this was the type of quality I could expect from KC, then I would buy PIAA instead. That should get something done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manik Grille Guard