Alpine PDX-V9

Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine PDX-V9

Just finished installing the PDX-V9.

I bought off Amazon. Price: $439.94 Was disappointed when I did not find the Amp's birth sheet. Maybe because I did not buy from an Authorized Dealer? Not quite sure. But, MSRP is $700, so I can live without having birth sheet. Just tuned the amp to the stated RMS's on box. 100 rms and 500 rms.
I did the digital multimeter method of tuning amp.

The speaker terminal quick disconnects came in handy while using the dmm. Just popped it in each channel.

Most importantly to anyone considering this amp. I have no pop, click, or hiss when turning on the amp as others have complained about in the previous generation PDX-V5.

I have my LPF @ 80 hz and my HPF @ 100 hz.
I am not 100% sure if that is the optimal setting, but it sounds good to me.
The gains are set to just under half on channel 1 - 4.
On the subwoofer the gain is just over half way.

I am using all Type R speakers. Coaxials in rear, Components in front, and one 12" Type R thin.

For wiring im using 14 ga. on all speakers, and 12 ga. on the sub.

The headunit im using is the Pioneer 4400bh.

I had the volume cranked up, and headlights were not dimming.

I also have an Optima Yellowtop battery.

This was my first install. So I am open to any suggestions. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I am quite happy with the outcome. The subwoofer has a great sound to it. It is deep enough to play the music the way I like it. Just for a reference my Lincoln Continetal has two DVC 10" Type R's with 1000 watt rockford fosgate amp. This was ported so it was very loud. But I am just as happy with the results of the one subwoofer. At first I was thinking the one woofer, sealed, and 500 watt amp rather than 600 watts called for by subwoofer would not meet my expectations. But it turned out great.

Last edited by fucci93; 11-17-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Looking at getting the same amp. Happy with it still?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah I really like this amp. It is small enough to mount easily. The overall sound quality is really good.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the response. Do you still feel there's adequate power going to that sub? I'm considering the 10" type R shallow. Requests a range between 300-600RMS. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I feel the power is fine. The 10" will be easier to work with under the rear seat. I also heard the 10" produces a tighter sound. If you like your music balanced out i feel this sub and amp go perfect with the system. But if you are looking for the excessively loud, boomy bass, where it overpowers the mids and highs, this probly is not for you. I am using a sealed box, and i think this sub produces plently of low end. Even more than what i had expected originaly.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 AM
The only reason you may want 2 amps is if you plan on adding another sub later on down the road. but i am completely satisfied with my one 12" and have not even considered adding another. Im more interested in doing a hid retro-fit now. lol

Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM

Thank you sir! No, I'm definitely not interested in boom. I want sound quality and tight bass response. I listen to all types of music, so I'm more about full range sound than I am rattle windows and mirrors. I have no use for that. I just want a punch when its supposed to be there. I think I'm settled on the amp. Trying to figure out the sub. Debating if I want to spend the money on the type R or go with something else. I also have no interest in adding subs down the road. I'm trying to install one sub under the 40 part of the rear seat. Not willing to compromise floorspace on the 60 side. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I tell people who know me from my loud boomy Lincoln that this system is not soo much about speaker level, it is all about sound quality. Although it still gets loud.
This is the enclosure I have if you are intersted: Sealed Single 12"

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044FTX1...Enclosure.html

It is pretty close on the specs for the internal Volume required by the subwoofer.
Would have been nice if it only fit under the 40 section, but oh well its in.

Most forums and techs say go with 3/4" mdf. This one is 5/8" and seems just fine to me. I didnt have much of a choice being that I bought the Sub before the enclosure. But that 1/4" is very important (1/8" top + 1/8" bottom) It leaves just enough clearance for my sub to fire down.

Like I said earlier, the 10" sub is easier to work with.It has a smaller mounting depth, making the enclosure just a little smaller. Although it is 2" smaller subwoofer, I am pretty sure they both use the same size magnet.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm debating how good a deal it needs to be for me to buy one of those subs on ebay. There's a guy selling a brand new one for $300 and includes a 2 door kit of fatmat as well ($50 value). Not super interested in the fat mat, so not sure if thats a good enough deal. What do you think? And I'm going to have a box made for under the 40 seat. Has to go there. Refuse to give up the floorspace under the 60 side. And I think you've sold me on this setup. I've been going back and forth and round and round trying to decide. And I still have to pick a processor! I'm keeping the stock headunit.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I called my local sound shop, Movin on Sound and Security to ask a few questions before my build. I inquired about doing dynmatt, fattmat, or whatever else they have got. They told me it is not worth it unless I am doing the whole truck. That includes headliner and floor. So I did't do it.

I paid $315.99 for sub on Amazon for the seller AUDIO KRAZE. Todays price is $318.00 being offerered by HookedOnTronics.

If I had got a newwer truck, with factory Nav, I would have purchased Processor too. Most likely the Alpine PXA H800. I saw today on Amazon for $540.00. Or if I wanted to go a little less expensive, I would go with Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3. I believe is about $300.00 on Amazon.

When you have your box made, make sure that it is to spec on subwoofer.

This is for Alpine Type R 10" Shallow Mount

Ideal Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.35

Ideal Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.6

I purchased through Amazon because they were actaully better than Ebay on some prices, and they offered 0% financing for 36 month on a single order of $899.00 or more. (I was just buying a headunit before I found out about financing.)

Good Luck, and I checked your page your truck is AWESOME!!!

Last edited by fucci93; 12-10-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm still set on the amp, but I think I'm leaning toward the Polk MM1040DVC sub. I went by the last store of the best car audio place in town and talked with him. Had the best experience of any store at this one. He said I didn't actually have to go with a true shallow. He said he can build me a custom box under that seat and as long as I'm 4.5" or less on mounting depth, I'm good to go. He was also trying to discourage me from the shallow subs. And I am still torn but going with the Polk should still provide me a really nice sub without paying the shallow sub premium. I can get that polk sub for half the price of that discounted price for the alpine. Makes it a bit easier when asking for it for Christmas! Haha. And thanks for the compliment on the truck. When I first got it, I was excited but it wasn't "mine" like my last truck. So it's slowly getting there. Excited to have a sound system again.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Your Welcome Good Luck with your system, I'm sure it will turn out great!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Put this same amp in my last car and loved it. I just purchased my second V9 and will be installing it this weekend in my truck. It really is the only amp anyone needs for a daily driver, SQ type, blue collar system. Its so badass.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:15 PM
i completely agree with you. the only amp you will need for a good sq system

since my install i blew the swt12 subwoofer. lol whoops. i guess it was the song called late night tip. too much bass. the sub was all dented like someone punched it repeatedly now i just have the 10" type r sitting ontop of back seat. no one sits there anyway. its secured by the seatbelt haha does not look as bad as it sounds. also one of the 6x9 speakers in rear door started making fuzzy noise, so i threw the stock speakers back in the rear doors, doubled the power to the front components. and readjusted the gains
so now channel 1,2,3,&4 all power the one set of components, and the sub its a normal type r 10 in a ported box.
system is still going strong. use it everyday. i often max system out to what i tuned it to. i tuned it so max is volume 30. even though headunit goes to 40. i dont use eq or bass boost

Last edited by fucci93; 03-15-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpine PDX-V9