Amp Has Power But No Sound to Speakers

Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Has Power But No Sound to Speakers

This might be long winded but I'll start from the top. I had put a 6" Bazooka tube and cheap amp under the rear seat of my truck and they worked for several months. One day the music stopped unexpectedly so I assumed the amp overheated. The next time I drove my truck, I had bass but it cut off after about two minutes. The length of time the sub pushed decreased to about 10 seconds within a few weeks. I assumed the amp was shot and decided to upgrade. I had 2 Fosgate P1 10's that I had used in my Honda that my wife now had in her car. She rarely uses them because of my daughter so I took them back.

I purchased a custom box to fit under my rear seat but the P1's wouldn't fit. I also purchased a used T500 amp from Craigslist as well as a T400 (girl had bought a car with a $2,000 sound system and wad parting it out - I tested them both before buying them and actuallh removed them from her car). Since I couldn't use my new box I decided to hook up the T500 with my P1's in the old box (to hold me over until I could get new subs). All wiring was already in place I just swapped the amp and subs. After initial hook up, I had power to the amp but no sound. I swapped the T500 for the T400 and it worked fine. I swapped the T500 back and it worked fine (I was confused at this point). I ran the subs for about 10 minutes before they cut off unexpectedly. Again, it had power but no sound.

So I've been troubleshooting. I bought new RCA's and ran them directly from the HU to the amp and still nothing. I didn't get as much as a crackle when I plugged them in or removed them. I had a buddy test the connections going into the sub box. Each was receiving 4 ohms (2 ohms if we bridged it). And now I'm out of ideas. I will humor any ideas at this point. I'm about to send my HU back to Pioneer. It's a MVH-P8200BT.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Did you re-check your grounds? It could be good enough connection for it to power on, but once it actually try's to do something (play music) it's too much and cuts out.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM
yep......maybe a ground ...but probaly the amp..if the T400 works fine with the same wiring i would suspect the amp...

Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Also since you said you used existing wiring, how big of wire are you using? Because those bazooka's don't really require a lot of power but the rockford amps both require a 4 gauge power/ground and undersizing wire could also be a problem.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 AM
I used 4 gauge wires. I'll double check my ground connection tonight. I didn't think the amp would power on at all without a good ground. Now that you say that, the light was a little dimmer than I thought it should be. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM
You didn't mention the remote turn on lead (usually a blue wire connected to power antenna output of head unit). Is it maybe wired to the wrong source or has a break in it somewhere.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM
He said the amp turns on but won't put out sound. If the turn on lead is bad it won't turn on at all, the only thing it does is tell the amp the radio is on and it's time to turn on.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. My ground was faulty. I had it going to the (painted) body of the truck. I moved it to one of the 4 seat bolts and haven't had any issues since.

So when I actually tried to mount my amp, it's too tight of a fit under the seat. I found a thread about removing the rear seat so I'm going to try that out this weekend. I ordered a couple Comp Shallow Mount Kickers. So once they come in, I'll mount them to my new box and hide away the amp.

Thanks for your feedback. It was a simple problem but I was racking my brain trying to fix it.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Glad you got it figured out man!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
My remote bass PEQ came in today. Of course I hooked it up and ran it over the seat so I could test it. I was under the assumption that I could kill the bass completely with it (for when my daughter is in the truck). I can dial it to zero, adjust every stereo setting possible to it's lowest setting, and when I turn up the stereo, I still get bass. Oh well, I can still kill the subs with my stereo plus I shouldn't be listening to the stereo that loud with her in the truck anyways.

So I'm brainstorming mounting locations and I'd like some ideas from you guys. I originally planned to mount it on the inside of the lower cubby hole on the dash (you know the one that wont actually hold anything because it flies out the first time you press the gas). That's still a viable option but I see that I can disassemble the PEQ and do a face mounted installation which I believe will look cleaner and can be hidden better while being in plain site.

I'm thinking of mounting it in the void space beside the cigeratte lighter. If I can cut the hole cleanly (assuming there's nothing important behind that space), it would be super easy to adjust and almost look like it came from the factory. What are your suggestions for mounting it? Pics would be awesome if you've done anything custom?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Ok, I got anxious. Here's my amp mounted to the back of the truck and the PEQ beside the cigeratte lighter.

Name:  IMG_20111107_211238.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20111108_075203.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  62.1 KB

Last edited by joshw0000; 11-08-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amp Has Power But No Sound to Speakers