My Amp Install

Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd like to, but it would mean a new sub box, another cvr 10, amp install kit and the amp, so it would probably cost me 350-400 dollars just to upgrade.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Sorry about that 05RedFX4, just got mad when someone called our installs half *** haha
I never called anybody's system half assed . And my comment was NOT directed at 05REDFX4 . I already said his install looked good . My point was this ChrisAU , Don't cut corners (In anything you do) just because no one will see your work . If you look at 05REDFX4's install , look at how he properly secured his wiring to the trucks floor. Why would he do this , since it's going to be covered with carpet and nobody's going to see it ? I'll tell you why , because it's the right way . See my point?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^

nice job red.. i completely have my entire truck torn apart like that. i just made my board tonight. gonna run all the wire and stuff tom.. but u did a really good / neat job man. just thought i'd mention that.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:57 AM

I think it looks good.

Lol my amp is currently Velcroed to my rear floor mat.

i ran out of power wire, and had no idea where to put the amp, and then I am borrowing the amp on top of that, at least it has plenty of air space to keep cool in.

I used a bolt and locking nut and locking washer to secure the ground, I don't think it will ever loosen up, I hope it will be ok, I once helped dad drill two holes in his dodge truck so taht almost every inch of the wire that could be hid, was hidden. and his never leaked or had any ill effects.

I need to figure out where I want to put my amp, then get a second fuse to add more power wire to mount it.

Your install looks great, but I am too lazy to do that, as long as I can find a spot to hide the amp and wires I am going for it.

I was thinking under the drivers seat, I really don't want to pull the back seat out.

I still cant believe I drilled a hold for my ground wire, and then I cut a grommet to run the power wire, but both had plenty of clear RTV placed around them to prevent rust and leaks.

Did you know if you pull the trim up that runs under the door, there are holes where the clips go that you can see the ground through?

Last edited by Titan357; 04-09-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Titan357
I think it looks good.

I need to figure out where I want to put my amp, then get a second fuse to add more power wire to mount it.

Did you know if you pull the trim up that runs under the door, there are holes where the clips go that you can see the ground through?
Thanx.

I used a standard 5 meter or 16.4' install kit and had more than enough power wire to mount the amps on the back wall. The power wires are hooked direct to the battery, run thru the grommet on the firewall right behind the battery, down to the door sill on the paasenger side, and up to the amps on the back wall.

Yeah, do not try to put wires thru those holes or you might pinch them. at the very least the clips might not seat properly. If you look near the back of that channel under the wire harness there is a grommet that goes to the outside that is big enough to put a pair of 4 ga thru. At least on supercabs there is, don't know if they are there on screws or reg cabs tho. And the drivers side has one also.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 AM

17 foot is what I used, ran P/W on drivers and RCA/RW on the other.

The box I got is a factory style with the 8, I could not use the factory amp because I have no plug for it.

I really want to keep the jack and jumper cables under the small part of the back seat, so I figured a small amp would fit nicely under the drivers seat and I have a good idea of how to keep it in place.

but O.T.

I ran mine from the battery, over to the D.S and through a non used grommet, I then used clear RTV to seal it up (I cut it a little to big) and from there to the back.

If I do end up running it to the passengers side ill need to add a fuse and more power wire.

I only lifted the trim all the way up on acadent, and noticed the holes, I just ran the power wires next to the factory harness.

Last edited by Titan357; 04-09-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM

So you have the factory audiophile sub box but you cant find the plug? Remove the 15mm bolt on the drivers side rear seat bottom and pull back the carpet in the corner and see if the plug is taped to the floor. You should be able to pull back the carpet far enough w/o pulling out the seat, just take out that one bolt and pull off the sill panel.

If you can find the plug and the other end in the dash, then you can use the stock amp and sub setup.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
So you have the factory audiophile sub box but you cant find the plug? Remove the 15mm bolt on the drivers side rear seat bottom and pull back the carpet in the corner and see if the plug is taped to the floor. You should be able to pull back the carpet far enough w/o pulling out the seat, just take out that one bolt and pull off the sill panel.

If you can find the plug and the other end in the dash, then you can use the stock amp and sub setup.

Ill look when I get time, but I felt around and didn't see it.

I am pretty sure I don't have that plug at all, as my truck doesn't have any extra plugs or spare plugs when I changed my stock single cd player to my dvd player.

I bought the box from a member here, and one of my friends is going to give me a 300W amp, so I can return the amp i am borrowing now.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

If you were closer, I'd come over there and help you find it. But I have no idea where paintsville is, I'm guessing down in texas somewhere.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM

If you were closer, I'd come over there and help you find it. But I have no idea where paintsville is, I'm guessing down in texas somewhere.
paintsville Ky 41240

Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Titan357
paintsville Ky 41240
Well I'm up by Cleveland, so Ky is a good 5-6 hour drive from here.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Well I'm up by Cleveland, so Ky is a good 5-6 hour drive from here.

I noticed that, but don't worry, Ill fix it right when I get time, some time next week most likely.

I really just don;t think I have the plug, but I was thinking of mounting it where the jack is supposed to go, as my key does not fit my spare tire.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Titan, flip flop your RCA's and your power and youll have enough. You lost a good 5-6 feet going from passanger side across to the driver.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 AM
power rear slider

Do you remember what size holes you drilled to mount the rear slider motor. Thx

Old 04-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by mrbodogg
Do you remember what size holes you drilled to mount the rear slider motor. Thx
you can probably just use short self tapping screws. These have a little drill bit on the tip of the screw that will drill through the metal and then the threads will bite and secure the motor to the post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Amp Install