under hound grounding???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
under hound grounding???

What all do I need for the grounding mod?? What I mean is how do I improve all the grounds on my truck?? What is all needed to do this??

Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Grounding mod?? I assume you might be talking about the 'Big 3' which actually does include improving two grounds.

The first one is from the battery negative to the chassis. The second is the alternator ground. Since the alternator is grounded through its casing, to the alt. mounting, and to the engine, you can actually use about any bolt on the engine, or use a bolt on the alt. mounting brackets. From there ground it to the chassis.
The third part of the big three is to upgrade the wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the alternators positive terminal. You want to fuse this wire too (use a fuse that is the max of what that wire can handle amperage wise...for 1/0 wire that would be about a 300 amp fuse).

You could also upgrade the grounds from your cab to the frame if you wanted. Ideally, I would drill a hole through the floor and run a single bolt though it, with your amp grounded to it on the inside, and a wire running from the bottom side of that bolt to your frame.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Bartak1
Grounding mod?? I assume you might be talking about the 'Big 3' which actually does include improving two grounds.

The first one is from the battery negative to the chassis. The second is the alternator ground. Since the alternator is grounded through its casing, to the alt. mounting, and to the engine, you can actually use about any bolt on the engine, or use a bolt on the alt. mounting brackets. From there ground it to the chassis.
The third part of the big three is to upgrade the wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the alternators positive terminal. You want to fuse this wire too (use a fuse that is the max of what that wire can handle amperage wise...for 1/0 wire that would be about a 300 amp fuse).

You could also upgrade the grounds from your cab to the frame if you wanted. Ideally, I would drill a hole through the floor and run a single bolt though it, with your amp grounded to it on the inside, and a wire running from the bottom side of that bolt to your frame.
Also, at the rear under the factory kickplate (which you may have off to install batt wire to amps) there is a big rubber grommet. I just dumped a 1/0G ground wire from my wall mounted ground distribution block down that hole and bolted it to the frame...no drilling in the cab and a clean install.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Question Fused Alt/Batt lead?

Hey Bartak, I just read the detail in your message. I did the big 3 (or 4) upgrade, but didn't think about the need for a fuse (300 amp) in the 1/0G line from the alternator to the +Batt terminal. Is this critical? Seems like there are fuses on all the various circuits in the truck including the new amps etc. Is it to proctect the alternator some how? Curious, and now a little worried. Thanks...

Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1-bigmac
Hey Bartak, I just read the detail in your message. I did the big 3 (or 4) upgrade, but didn't think about the need for a fuse (300 amp) in the 1/0G line from the alternator to the +Batt terminal. Is this critical? Seems like there are fuses on all the various circuits in the truck including the new amps etc. Is it to proctect the alternator some how? Curious, and now a little worried. Thanks...
its to protect the WHOLE electrical system in the RARE event the alternator malfunctions and there is a surge in the system.
and to quote the master

If that wire would ever ground you would have a solid connection from your batterys pos. to a ground. With a fuse, it will pop before you can do any damage to your battery or start a fire.

Last edited by jmt0645; 10-11-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by jmt0645
its to protect the WHOLE electrical system in the RARE event the alternator malfunctions and there is a surge in the system.
Well I just dropped $20 on an in-line 1/0G fuse holder and a 300amp fuse at Knuconceptz + $5 shipping......better safe that sorry! I guess you're right that if the alternator failed, there would be a direct 1/0G lead that could pump a zillion amps from the yellow top toasting everything in it's path. Thanks for the feed back, and I didn't recall seeing this fuse issue when I looked at all the various "Big 3" threads. Thanks for the explaination!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If that wire would ever ground you would have a solid connection from your batterys pos. to a ground. With a fuse, it will pop before you can do any damage to your battery or start a fire.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Bartak. You make sense. Out of curiosity, does the factory +Batt wire have a fuse in it somewhere? Like everyone else, I just ran the 1/0G in parallel with the existing factory wire to the optima that I put side-mount terminals on for the "big 3/4 upgrade".

Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by bigmac
Out of curiosity, does the factory +Batt wire have a fuse in it somewhere?
yes it does, there are 2 fusible links in a hard plastic case inline with the factory positive wire,

Last edited by jmt0645; 10-11-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by jmt0645
yes it does, there are 2 fusible links in a hard plastic case inline with the factory positive wire,
Thanks agin for the answer jmt0645. I guess you can see them if you unwrap some of the cable housing? At any rate, my in-line fuse for the 1/0G should be here for the weekend! Again thanks for the info.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by 1-bigmac
Thanks agin for the answer jmt0645. I guess you can see them if you unwrap some of the cable housing?
again yes.
At any rate, my in-line fuse for the 1/0G should be here for the weekend! Again thanks for the info.
not a problem, after all, that what we're all here for anyways... to help and share info.
i can actually remember when i too was a "newb" to audio stuff, but with the help of bartak1/ Dconder and a few others i now consider myself "experienced" but no "expert" by any means... that title i'll leave to Bartak, Dconder, and f150Truckin. MAD PROPS to those guys .

Quick Reply: under hound grounding???