How to install a drain plug in 4R70W pan

Old 06-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install a drain plug in 4R70W pan

Anyone have any info on how to install a drain plug in a 4R70W transmission pan? I would like to be able to drain the pan and change the filter without taking a bath in transmission fluid.

Thanks,

Eddie

Old 06-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Troyer Performance and B&M have a nut with a hollowed bolt that has the inside threaded so a plug can screw inside it. You have to drill a hole in the pan. Cheap and simple thing to do when you change your next filter.

Last edited by DXprowler; 06-13-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:05 AM
DXprowler, thanks for the info. Would you happen to know the best place to put the plug in the pan?

Old 06-14-2003, 02:19 AM
If an aftermarket pan were a priority cost wise, I certainly would prefer that. But, I just need to be able to drain the fluid cleanly. You can pick up a B&M drain plug for about $5.00 at just about any auto parts store.

Where I installed mine, there is no risk of debre knocking it off and most of the fluid comes out when it's removed. Pretty straightforward. You just need to drill a 1/2" hole in the pan.

Side view
Front view

Old 06-14-2003, 08:50 AM
AjRagno, great pics and just what I needed to know. I really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks agian,

Eddie

Old 06-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Yes very nice pictures! Says it all!

An after market pan would be nice but I think I will upgrade my stock trans cooler to a larger one. It's cheaper for one thing! B&M have the #70266 rated at 28,000 lbs (11 x 8 x 1 1/2) for $60 and the pan is $160. I'm finding that my trany temps are higher with the "new" and larger trailer. With the warm weather coming I feel I need more cooling.

I'm not sure that a larger pan will make a significant difference in cooling. With more fluid in the pan, wouldn't it take longer to get it out and cooled!? I'm worried about warrenty as well. A very obvious mod that a dealer can point his finger at if the trany went south!!

I'm planning on changing the fluid, filter and install a drain plug when I change the cooler.

Last edited by DXprowler; 06-14-2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:43 PM
I installed one on my pan. I took a piece of steel rod and cut it to 1/2 inch thick. I drilled a hole in the center of the deepest part of the pan. I drilled and tapped a hole for a 1/2 inch oil drain plug in the steel piece then welded it to the pan. I'll post pics. Will definitely help with the mess the next time I change the fluid.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Old 06-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Old 06-20-2003, 10:12 PM
jlcotney, looks good and great idea. Thanks for posting the pics.

Eddie

Old 06-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Thumbs up

Just finished replacing the FoMoCo cooler with the B&M #70266, the transmission filter and installed a drain plug on the pan.

I'm glad I did all this but it was a bit of a chore! The fittings on the cooler are not the same as on the Ford cooler so I had to find a shop that could help. Was successful at the 3rd shop I went to!

It took some time to mount the cooler as well. I didn't want to use the kit and attach it to the rad. I made a bracket instead which worked out real nice but all this took time.

With AjRagno and jlcotney's pics, I decided to put the plug, dead center at the bottom of the pan. Straight forward!

I only had to turn the crank and check for the torque converter bolt four times. Was lucky I guess as I could see the bolt after the first crank. I was by myself on the driveway crawling under the front to turn the crank and then would have to come around the side to get under the trany to check for the bolt.

Took 12 L of Mercron V and 6 hrs of my time. Still have to do a clean-up tomorrow.

It was worth it! The fluid and filter were dirty and the fluid had a smell to it. Lots of slug around the magnet and on the bottom of the pan. I did have a flush done last spring but I think I may have cooked the fluid somewhat while towing. My tran temp guage is an electrial one installed in the test port. I was getting readings as high as 210* while towing. During the test run, after all this work, wilth the trany warmed up the temp was about 15* lower than with the FoMoCo cooler. A definite improvement!

I guess the real test will be when we head west through the Canadian Sheild in Northwestern Ontario in a few weeks with the trailer. The terrain is very rugged with lots of hills, etc. Beautiful country but puts a big load on the truck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install a drain plug in 4R70W pan