ABS light stays on

Old 04-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS light stays on

2000 F150

Driving home this weekend on level ground the light came on and stays on. If I hold my foot on the brake pedal while starting it's off until I release the pedal. My brakes seem to work just fine but would like to find the trouble. Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,
Rod

Old 04-21-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm having the same problem except when the light comes on, I can turn the ignition off and restart with the light sometimes coming on a little later or not at all in a 15 mile trip. Basically it's inconsistent. I have not had it checked out yet.

Old 04-21-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing it's a sensor (probably one on top of the rear differential). I'm assuming some type of code will be stored and can be pulled with a scanner. I plan to have it diagnosed tomorrow and will report back. Just didn't want to spend the $80 for the scan but that's the way it goes.

Old 04-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Thumbs up Update

Called the dealer and was quoted $14 dollars for the rear sensor. I purchased and installed it in about 10 minutes, problem resolved.

-Rod

Old 04-22-2003, 08:04 PM
I just started having a similar problem, although when my abs lights go on the abs is totally disengaged....I just had my front brakes done 2 weeks back at the dealer and thought maybe the sensors are something they would have automatically replaced.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:45 PM
You might want to ask the dealer you carried your vehicle to if they used an "on-car brake lathe".. If so, your sensors might have metal shavings all over them (because they are magnetic)
causing this ABS light of yours. If they don't use an on car lathe, then I would suggest having it scanned. Or try the likely source, the rear speed sensor on the top of the rear end housing.

Good Luck in solving your ABS light

FordMasterTech

Old 05-10-2003, 11:46 PM
I had this problem on my last truck (98 F-150 4x4 Offroad) with only rear wheel ABS. The light will comes on and stay for a while and goes off. Dealer could not find the problem. They put me a new set of shoes,new sensor and finally change out the ABS control which was under the dash between the radio and the glove box.

Old 05-14-2003, 06:22 PM
abs light stays on

Abs light stays on, it came on after washing my truck at a spray yourself car wash. Light didnt come on right away but after i drove it home, parked in the garage and then when i went to start it the next morning it came on. Think i damaged the sensor when i sprayed the underside of the truck? Havent gotten it checked yet, seeing if there is anything i can do before the dealer charges me an arm and a leg. thanks for any help

Old 05-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Question ABS light on 98 F-150

I am having a similar issue with my ABS light however, this has been happening ever since my cruise control pressure switch caught on fire which sits right in front of the master cylinder. I have since replaced the cruise control pressure switch but the ABS
light continues to come on for a couple of minutes and then goes out. I was told by Brake Check that in order to run any type of test on the ABS system the ABS light has to be on at the time...and with my luck the ABS light goes off before I can get to any autoshop. Does anyone have the slightest idea what can be causing this?

Old 06-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Hi All,
My ABS light is on also, and has been for awhile. My E-Brake light is on too. They both went hay-wire at the same time. I was wondering (since none of you mentioned it) if your E-Brake lights were on as well. You all think this may be the sensor that you have mentioned? I have Phobia's about taking my vehicle to a dealer. Can anyone recomend a good online Auto parts store. I'm considering (rockauto.com). Has anyone delt with them?

Thank you for your imput.
Bow

Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know that my ABS light came on as well. After searching through other posts, it seemed that the rear ABS sensor located on top of the rear differential was the most common problem relating to the warning light. Since Ford wants about $80 just to hook it up to get a code, I took a gamble and spent the $20 to get a new sensor. Replaced tonight and problem seems to be fixed. Thanks.

Bowhunter 12
I think I remember seeing a post with a problem similar to yours. I believe their solution was checking the brake fluid level. It was low and they added more. Both lights went out.

Brian

Old 07-01-2003, 11:51 AM
My light is on all the time as well, I am going to replace the sensor. Does anyone know the Diagnostic Code for the bad sensor? Part number for new sensor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS light stays on