Towing & Hauling

Towing 6x12 uhaul cross country

Old 04-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 6x12 uhaul cross country

Should I have any problems towing this thing. I will be driving from Washington to Texas and will have it pretty loaded down along with the bed full. I have never pulled anything with this truck, but I am hopping with the 5.4 it should do the job.

Thanks for any input.

Charlie

Old 04-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Shouldn't be much trouble but stay out of overdrive when on slight inclines and hills.

Old 04-01-2003, 02:24 AM
thanks bro. Also how much should my gas mileage drop. I think that right now I am only getting like 12 or 13 miles to the gallon it seems like.

Old 04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
The only problem you might have is if you follow UHaul's 45 mph maximum speed limit.

I towed one of those loaded with woodworking tools through the Canadian rockies once and the surge brakes failed on a 8% grade. I was very glad I had an F250.

Ian

Old 04-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Towing 6x12 uhaul cross country

Originally posted by odenspike
Should I have any problems towing this thing. I will be driving from Washington to Texas and will have it pretty loaded down along with the bed full...
Charlie, alot of it will depend on whether you are a ping-pong ball salesman or a brickmason.

Old 04-01-2003, 03:28 PM
that is one tall trailer for its length.

Old 04-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like the 12x6 big one U-Haul has with the tandem axles.
My brother-in-law towed one of those loaded with furniture from Boca Raton Fl to Halifax NS(appx 2000 miles) with an 4.6L Expedition. He had no problems but, I think your trip has some mountains in it.

(I think the 6x12 is just used to transport Giraffes.)

Old 04-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I have many giraffes I am bringing back to Texas! They dont like this cold weather up here

It is the 12ft long trailer with the tandem axles. I will have it loaded down with furniture and stuff like that. yeah I think I do have to go threw a few mountains, but this time I am going to go back via I5 down to California and pick up I10. Before the way I came up here was through, colorado, utah, idaho,etc and that was without a trailer. Seems like more mountains that way. Hopefully this will be a little smoother.

Charlie

Old 04-01-2003, 06:34 PM
California's speed limit is 55 mph for vehicles with trailers.

Another way to go is across Wyoming & Nebraska and then down to Texas instead of Colorado.

It's all up and down from Eugene OR to Red Bluff CA

Old 04-01-2003, 10:12 PM
I just moved my daughter 450 miles with the 6X12 trailer and had no problems at all. I towed in 3rd all the way as we moved her to Northern Ontario and we have plenty of hills. I set the cruise at 65 mph and the rpm's were between 26-2700 and averaged a little better than 10 miles per US gal. Coming home running empty I set the cruise at 70 mph in OD and averaged a little better than 16 miles per US gal. Slowing down to about 55 mph will probably net you another mile or two per gallon. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:03 PM
hapy, the way through Wyoming and Kansas is the route I took coming up here. Up through Kansas was pretty good, but past that it seemed like it was mountains and hills the majority of the rest of the way, then at Oregon had to snake along the columbia river. That was probably the most miserable part.

George, thanks for the info on the gas mileage. If I can get 10mpg I will be happy. It will be nice to get back to Texas!

Charlie

Old 04-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I towed one of those trailers from Lubbock, TX to Dallas once in my SuperCrew. The trailer kept 'lurching' as if the brakes were occasionally grabbing when I was maintaining speed. It seemed to occur when the roadway changed elevation back and forth quickly (i.e. miniature hills along the highway). Not sure what the problem was. I bought towing mirrors for the drive but they really weren't too useful. Make sure the doors on the trailer are closed and locked. I was flagged down by a motorist who said that the back doors were flapping in the breeze just after I left the Uhaul place. I hope you have good luck with Uhaul, I will never do business with them again. I had to drive over an hour out of my way to pick one up after they didn't have one (I reserved several weeks in advance). The Uhaul place also sold me at full price used trailer light leads that failed midway through the trip when the ground wire separated from the spring clip. I had to wait at the Uhaul place for over an hour while the owner called corporate to figure how he could place the trailer in his stock for him to rent it to me as it was a phantom unit in his system. All of this caused me to have to load without assistance as the people who were going to help me had to leave town as I was starting approximately 4 hours later than planned. I also had to load everything after nightfall which made it a much more difficult task due to my circumstances.

They were not apologetic at all and only gave me a discount on a rental storage unit after I had them on the phone for a long time complaining about my experience. Also, I think you should be allowed to remove some of the items from the rental that you don't plan on using. They won't let you take them out and will charge you for them if you use them. Everyone I have talked to that has used Uhaul has had a bad experience one way or another. Usually has to do with Uhaul making reservations but not keeping them. Remember that Seinfeld episode?

I hope you have a more pleasant experience.

Last edited by robjohn; 04-08-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Sometimes UHaul is the only game in town. Yeah their service sucks!

Old 04-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Finally made it to Texas. Hella long drive. We couldnt get over 55mph with the trailer or it would start to have the fish tail effect. I am not sure what was causing it to do that. The truck pulled it fine, but we were just so limited to speed because of the swaying. I thought it would flip over. Anything above 55 was to scary with it. When we first picked it up as I was pulling into my parking lot at the apt. it came off the ball and slid under my truck, there was something wrong with the lock mechanism. Thankfully it didnt do any damage to the truck, but I can only imagine if that had happened if I had had it loaded down already. Would have been a bad scene. Dont want to have to make that trip ever again!

Charlie

Old 04-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Glad you made it to our destination! Not that it really matters now, but it sounds like you had too light of tongue weight..... Did you happen to have any heavy stuff in the back of the trailer?

Or, it could have just been a POS Uhaul trailer too.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing 6x12 uhaul cross country