How do I "properly relieve fuel line pressure"?

Old 03-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I "properly relieve fuel line pressure"?

Hi guys,
I feel like a total dumbass. I went to go check my fuel filter and thought I read all the directions. I disconnected the ground, took the lid off the gas tank, and as I take off the line from the filter to the tank and BAM!!!!, I nice healthy spray of gas in my right eye. I guess I was asking for it. Anyways, the massive spray of gas came from the engine end of the fuel line. Is there a release valve of some sort under the hood. My Chilton's manual says, "Properly relieve fuel line pressure", but nowhere does it actually tell you where or how. Meanwhile, I'm gonna have a beer and a smoke

Old 03-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Disable the fuel pump and start the engine and let it run 'till it dies.

Disable by, pulling the fuel pump relay or tapping on the inertia switch.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the input, guys, but I finally figured it out. There is a schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail (kind of like the air valve on your tires). I pushed it in with the cap of a ballpoint pen and that relieved the pressure for the system. Thank god I replaced that fuel filter. After a few minutes when I dumped fuel from the old filter, it was brown. EEEEWWWWW.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Otherwise, There is a schraeder valve on one of the fuel rails above the one of the heads, don't remember of it's driver side or passenger, easy to see and access though. Remove the valve cap and depress the center pin briefly to burp the fuel lines.

Last edited by Tiger; 03-13-2003 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:30 AM
I just pull the fuel pump fuse under the hood and try to start truck,it shouldnt start then the pressure is releived.

Old 03-14-2003, 08:48 AM
kev
You guys are going way out of your way. There is a reset button on the passenger side kick board. It even says fuel pump reset on the plastic. Just reach in and press the button, this will disable the fuel pump. Turn the truck over and it shouldn't even run more than a split second. Now your pressure is relieved, change your filter/pump or whatever you are doing in the fuel system and just depress the reset button before you fire her back up.

No need to press shroeder valves, pull fuel lines, etc. Very easy and clean.

kev

Old 03-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Bad news. This afternoon, when I was driving to work, I was passing this jackass on the freeway, I felt a nice jolt and then my CEL started flashing. The engine was shaking a bit and acceleration was terrible. Once I got to my exit, the truck idles fine, but acceleration is very sluggish, and now the CEL is constantly lit. I didn't have time to check anything because I was almost late for work at this point. I'm really scared on what is it. Any suggestions for me to ponder?

Old 03-15-2003, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Plug launch ??

Old 03-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad coil ???

Old 03-15-2003, 10:33 AM
That could be anything... did you notice any sounds when you saw the CEL come on?

To others: I wouldn't recommend trying to turn the truck over without fuel. You might cause some damage there... personally, I'll depress the relief valve in the engine compartment... I wouldn't think they would have put it there if it didn't serve it's purpose.

-Flea

Old 03-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Huh? How can turning ove an engine without fuel cause any damage?

You can create a whole lot more damage by pushing on the shreader valve on the fuel rail...............Raw fuel on a hot engine ring any bells?

The shreader valve is a test port for testing fue pressure.

Old 03-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, think about running an engine with a lean condition. You possibly could cause the same kind of damage.

Also, external operating temperature of an engine is not hot enough to ignite gasoline. It must be much hotter in order to igninte.

-Flea

Old 03-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Unhappy

Unfortunately, there are a million and one reasons for the CEL to come on! The 3 times for me where... a bad gas cap!, and 2 fault codes that ended up being nothing.
Since you just changed your fuel filter, maybe the lines didn't seat up properly and theres a leak in the line or something.
Hopefully not serious... but you might need to go to the stealership!

Old 03-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, even worse news. I looks to be the transmission or torque converter, though I haven't pulled the codes (can't find my damn code reader!). Whenever I give it more than 50% throttle, the whole truck shakes and acceleration is sluggish and the tach needle bounces, but when I rev the engine in Neutral, it revs just fine. Looks like I should a shop in any case. DOH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I "properly relieve fuel line pressure"?